TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: Who do you think is the BEST glass vendor?
Arrow Springs 213 19.02%
CR & Loo, Inc 17 1.52%
Frantz Art Glass 421 37.59%
Howaco Glass 147 13.13%
islandglass!!! 88 7.86%
Jo-Del Glass 47 4.20%
LBSupplies 113 10.09%
Moretti and More 208 18.57%
Sundance Art Glass 38 3.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-01-14, 4:16pm
Striking-impared...

I checked out the site, too. I like that you can order by the rod (helpful for trying out a color), but I also don't know what diameter the rods are, or I missed seeing it.

And agreed, it would be hard to figure out how many rods it would take to reach that 5-lb mark, for the first price break.

Still, I will keep you in mind for glass shopping.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-01-14, 6:48pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Well, once you get to the color you want you click the button next to where it says "amount", then a drop down list will appear and you can choose 1 rod, .25 lbs., .5 lbs., .75 lbs., and 1 lb. The description for each color does say the rods are 5-6mm and that each rod weighs about .7 oz. If I have a color that comes in that is thinner or thicker I will adjust the description.

6 7oz. rods weigh just over 4oz or .25 (1/4) pound. So approx. 120 13" rods would get you the 5lb discount.

Old 2007-01-15, 7:27pm
glass is sooo...me!

Here is my Frantz story:
Many years ago now their website was compromised and my credit card info was stolen. I found out about it the hard way...after the card had been used fraudulently. They did e-mail me and tell me (after the fact). There is a plus for them.

However...they have sent me the wrong order twice (but they have fixed it quicky) There is another plus for them.

I still order from them because of their selection of all kinds of glass.
BUT I HATE THEIR WEBSITE!!!
Old 2007-01-17, 10:51am
Skeptical Optimist

Zen-Mom, that would be excellent since you're not too far for me to travel to restock, but you don't sell Boro!!! So I must continue to order my stuff from Glasscraft with my 30% discount on color boro... Until some more local supplier starts carrying boro at competitive pricing.

Patrice & Paul, Running a Mirage and Barracuda on a Pro-8.
Old 2007-01-17, 12:31pm
Hello?

I get all my glass locally so I rarely ever order glass from the list of suppliers. I will say though that Howaco and Heritage are both great places.

Lampworkingsupplies.com is where I first got my stuff from when I started making beads. After awhile half the stuff I ordered was always out of stock so it got old. Just glad I found a supplier like 15 minutes from my house

~Joe~

Old 2007-01-23, 7:24am
In spite of it all!

Hands down Bill and Donelle Thornton! Moretti and More/Island Glass!!! One in the same. You all did know that they have their own web site now... right? www.morettiandmore.net not .com Oh, and since I live in Alaska I have tried several sellers. Most were ok.. but not as helpful as the Thorntons. They will take the time to help with even the dorkiest questions and help newbies with all the basics. When I first talked to them Bill was on the phone with me for over 2 hours! I almost felt bad taking up so much of his time.... lol... but then I grew to understand that he is like that with everyone.

THANKS BILL AND DONELLE!!!!

Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us. ~ Stephen Covey

Last edited by Ruth Nichols; 2007-01-23 at 7:27am.
Old 2007-01-29, 9:13pm
Keywestgurlie

Howaco shipped to me Internationally, was super well packed and nothing was broken going through Customs. I am verrry pleased!!

V.
Old 2007-02-14, 7:58am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen-mom View Post
I have the same glass prices as Frantz and give the same 5/10/20# discounts on glass rod. I hope someday you'll do this poll again and I might be well known enough to be included
Yeah. I'd like to be well known enough to make it on the list as well...

Old 2007-02-14, 11:35am
Beadaholic and lovin it!!

I've been completely happy with Arrow Springs. Their customer service is outstanding!!!
Karen

BOREDOM IS A MATTER OF CHOICE NOT CIRCUMSTANCE

Old 2007-02-14, 5:49pm
Renee

I never heard of LB . Would someone share the link to their site? Thanks! Renee

"All unattended children will be given an expresso and a FREE puppy!"
Old 2007-02-15, 9:01am
hooked, completely!!!

http://stores.ebay.com/LAMPWORK-BEADS-SUPPLYS
Old 2007-02-16, 12:39am

Starfield, we had the same thing happen with Frantz, our credit card info was stolen and used generously when their website got compromised and it was a mess for a while, but thankfully the CC company fixed things for us without too much hassle. They are nice to order from but their website is a little hard to negotiate.

My favorite is Moretti and More/Island Glass too, Bill and Donelle are just great to deal with and they really work hard on making shipping costs not so painful to Alaska, I am always more than happy with them, wonderful people!

Jon at LBS is great to order from too!
Old 2007-03-03, 7:05pm
Glass artist tool builder

Victorian Art Glass http://www.vicartglass.com/
My favorite place to get glass
If they don't got it...you don't need it.

Don't go there if you are in a hurry...Dennis will talk the leg off ya.

Just Kiddin, They are awesome to deal with
Mike
Old 2007-03-03, 7:09pm

I tried ordering from Howaco just recently because I've heard some great things about them. My experience has been different. Slow shipping and my order wasn't complete. I've emailed Jamey but no response about the missing item yet.
I'll stick with LBSupply & Moretti & More. Impeccable service.

~Angela
Old 2007-03-04, 5:45am

Angela,
Have you tried emailing her again? Things happen. I just am back online after a bout of no Internet access due to an outside wiring problem....can we say withdrawal? Or calling? She lists her phone numbers on the website. Any time I've ordered from Jamey, it's been a pleasurable experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by framerak View Post
I tried ordering from Howaco just recently because I've heard some great things about them. My experience has been different. Slow shipping and my order wasn't complete. I've emailed Jamey but no response about the missing item yet.
I'll stick with LBSupply & Moretti & More. Impeccable service.

~Angela

Old 2007-03-06, 8:55am

Default trouble in paradise-Howaco not so Wowaco

I placed an order with Jamey at Howaco only because of the raves on here....I haven't had the same experience and am very disappointed.

I placed my order and sent her a note right away, because I realized I had ordered double of something as I was checking out and could not seem to delete the extra without starting over, so I sent her a note asking her to change the order slightly for me. She emailed back explaining how I could do it in the future and said that the order was being corrected and that she would send it right out.
Paypal went through on the 21st of February. By 3-1 I had not received the order. It's almost a week later now. I sent an email to Jamey who responded last Sunday night by email that there had been a storm there and the internet at the store was out that day (Sunday)...well, Ok. She said she'd go into the store this last Monday and check on the status...That was a few days ago, and I've heard nothing. Sent another email to her last night. This is now going on 2 weeks with no shipping confirmation and little contact.
I hope I get the order soon ($158.00 worth) and that it's correct. I'm tempted to cancel it. But you know when you spend an hour shopping on a site, and you're waiting for the order, it's hard to think about cancelling the order and spending another hour searching for the same stuff you ordered on that site!!! Besides, I shouldn't have to! I don't have time to re-do orders! If a company advertises product and it's paid and they're supposed to be so quick and thorough..I'm sorry to report that this action appears to be the current MOD for this supplier, as per the previous entry-also in March. Hope she can get things straightened out in her life so she can continue to give us all the great service and great record she had earlier.
Peace and Love.
Old 2007-03-06, 10:58am
HOt WArm COld = Howaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassartist View Post
I'm sorry to report that this action appears to be the current MOD for this supplier, as per the previous entry-also in March. Hope she can get things straightened out in her life so she can continue to give us all the great service and great record she had earlier.
Peace and Love.
This is not typical for me and the customers that have been ordering from me for a long time do know that, I am sorry that newer customers do not. These types of issues have only arisen in the last couple of months. I opened this business because of the experiences that I had with other companies.

There IS something going on in my personal life that is taking a hurrendious amount of my time and energy. If it makes anyone feel any better, I go to bed crying every night and have been for over two months, because of the personal stuff and the business both. I am a perfectionist and not running things analy efficient drives me nuts.

The business side of things has a resolution in sight and will be implemented within two weeks. We are a small company, we are going through some major changes and growing pains. I do not go into work everyday asking myself who I can ignore today, honest. My plate is full and I am stretched to the max and I am working as fast as I can to fix these problems we are having.

I don't like to post on public forums, especially to openly state that there are major personal issues going on, it's personal. But with the internet, I guess it is safe to say that nothing is private anymore.

Like I said, we do have a resolution for our glitches that will be announced in a couple weeks. At that time though, I will also be closing the store for several days, I need to have a surgery that I have been putting off and can't put off any longer. I have not taken a day off work since my father died 1 1/2 years ago. And for that I took 1 day. Yes, I even work on Christmas and major holidays too.

I am truly sorry for any frustration that anyone has felt about anything, big or small. It is not our intention to ever have anyone feel bad about anything, ever.

Old 2007-03-06, 4:24pm

Wow JameyLynn. Hugs to you. These threads make me really wary of selling anything online!! It's a ton of work to pack and ship and keep everything straight!

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-03-09, 12:23pm
Playing with Fire!

We have used several suppliers over the past 10 or 12 years. Our consistent favorites are Arrow Springs, Glass Craft, and Wale. To be fair, most suppliers are good... also some are good by phone, but their websites can be a nightmare to navigate and order from.

Ed Slawson
Playing with Fire! Glassworks
Old 2007-03-10, 2:34pm

It sounds like some of you like ABR

I had a problem with an order once, I was missing 3 to 4 dichro images.

I called many times finally got the right person.
He said Ok I'll send them out.
2 weeks
Called ABR back, few attempts got the same guy again.
Well, he says.. I'll just credit your account.
I said I really need those, as I told you before I ordered 2
Viking images that I need for our MN Vikings football season.
He says to me: "Ok I'll try to send them out. If not I'll just credit
your account for your next order."
?????
He'll try? What's hard about sending one more package for items
that have already been paid for.
He never sent them.
I haven't been to ABR since.

One bad experience ruined me.

Old 2007-03-17, 4:51am
The one, the only

I think Howaco glass is the best US supplier I've tried.

-
-
-
Old 2007-03-19, 9:06pm
~raven~

when i started lampworking i was directed to

http://www.delphiglass.com/

i've had no problem with them, they have a good variety, for both fusing lampworking and stained glass,
i just stumbled upon
www.90coe.com , and ordered something threw them, heres hoping their good.
Old 2007-03-20, 5:23am

Default The best glass suppliers

I use Wale Apparatus from Pennsylvania. They are a small warehouse of glass and other sundries, very quick in response. I live in NY and got my glass the day after I ordered it. They are wonderful to communicate with.
Joan from 2 Women on Fire
Old 2007-03-26, 3:14pm
Irish Eyes A Smiling

JMHO.....I think each of us is drawn to certain vendors for various reasons....sometimes it's a personality thing or a too busy to shop around thing or a this is the vendor that helped me set up my studio thing....it's like where you grocery shop.....there are probably multiple stores in any town/city (even in the boonies of NW WI) but we seem to consistently shop at a couple of locations.

I didn't realize that so many on this forum also are supply vendors......guess I need to read the sig lines more carefully.....I admire each of you - I can't even get myself in gear to figure out how to BUY on eBay let alone list/sell....guess that's why I've got BOXES of beads in my studio!

Old 2007-04-06, 11:28pm
~raven~

http://www.coe90.com/

tho i've only ordered from them once and i havenmt yet recieved it yet their comunication is great, the post service sent it back to them from the border for some reason...they emailed me told me sending me a 5$ gift cirt. and resending it,
they said it was the first they ever have come back they dont know why.

but they are very good at comunication
Old 2007-04-28, 4:34pm

i really love Howacogalss.com. jamie is very fast in shipping. considering i live here in Geogia and she is located(i think in minnesota). everyone should give her a try.
mike
Old 2007-04-29, 2:31am

I would definitely have to say Lily & Mark Dickson (Hot Bead Box)
also Moretti and more
Georgie
Old 2007-05-11, 7:41am

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven_spirit View Post
when i started lampworking i was directed to

http://www.delphiglass.com/

i've had no problem with them, they have a good variety, for both fusing lampworking and stained glass,
i just stumbled upon
www.90coe.com , and ordered something threw them, heres hoping their good.
Hi there, FWIW my opinion of Delphi is that prices are too high. They are great people and so helpful but I can't afford the cost.

Same for Heritage glass unless you like purchasing glass by the rod. Maybe Heritage has changed since I ordered from them so long ago. But I found out afterwards that I could pay about 1/3rd (?) (can't remember the exact difference it's been so long) ordering 1/4 lb and sometimes as little as 1/8th LB from some suppliers.
Angela
Old 2007-05-11, 7:47am

Re-Hi, I have also ordered from Arrow Springs and it did take a long time to ship to me but I live on the East Coast. They were very nice and helpful.

Also orded from Flame-tree. Again so very helpful to a newbie. I did have a problem with clear scratched and bubbled glass that was going around. Even so they gave me free glass to cover the bad glass and really went out of their way to make things right.
They also answered every silly question I would call the about on the spur of the moment and spent lots of time enlightening me on kilns before I purchased.
Angela
Old 2007-05-11, 7:53am

Hello!
Could someone please tell me which supplier is close to the SE,besides Mountain Glass Arts and Flame Tree?
I just sold my first bunch of beads ( Yippee!) so now I can justify ordering some things on my wish list.
MGA only has about 4 things on my list of 20. Plus I would like to try a new supplier and spread the wealth around. Not that I can make anyone wealthy .

Thanks a bunch!
Angela