Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-07-07, 9:38pm
Boldly going

Default Where to Get Silver Head Pins Cheap?

Hi everyone. I'm in need of lots of sterling silver head pins. I'd like to find some 2" long with 2 or 3 mm smooth silver ball on the end. I need a few hundred for a couple of very special pieces I'm working on. I know of the usual sources like Fire Mountain and Thunderbird. I'm just curious if there's a better place to go for a large quantity and not a lot of $$$.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Many of life's failures are experienced by people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. - Thomas Edison

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
Old 2005-07-08, 6:01am
Cheeky & Impervious

You could try artbeads.com, not sure if they carry the ones with the ball, I cannot remember...

Old 2005-07-08, 7:56am
Glassy Lady

If you need that many of them, why don't you just make them? All you have to do is cut sterling silver wire to the desired length plus a little bit more, then place the tip of the wire in the flame of your torch for a moment. The silver will melt and ball up. You will notice that your silver headpin is not silver any more because it's all covered with firescale. Not to worry, just soak in jeweler's pickle, then rinse. Voila, you have as many headpins as you want at a fraction of the price if you were to buy them.

Make sure that you do this in a very well ventilated area, as the silver will give off fumes that are very irritating to the lungs.

My favorite place to buy silver wire and jeweler's pickle is www.thunderbirdsupply.com

BHB/PANDORA EXCHANGE IN THE PATIO
Old 2005-07-08, 1:47pm
Boldly going

Thanks for the info. It had not occurred to me to ake them myself. I will try it.

I think for this project, since I need so many, I will just buy them and save myself a lot of time. I was PM'd by someone who's gonna help get some cheap.

But thanks so much for the input.

Brad

Many of life's failures are experienced by people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. - Thomas Edison

|
|
|
Old 2005-07-08, 4:10pm
Piscean Fire Goddess

You could always contact our very own metal workers, Barrie and McDuck

- SJS Glasswork & Creations
Exploring a philosophical fantasy world.
Old 2005-07-08, 5:52pm
Perpetually organizing

Best prices I've found are through South Pacific (www.beading.com). Check the sales pages first!
Old 2005-07-08, 8:06pm
Fusing Glass

I usually buy 100 for around $9-10 pm me if you wanna know where!
Old 2005-07-08, 8:10pm
Martyrs don't bitch.

You can also buy fine silver wire and then you don't get much firescale.

Teague