Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-12-04, 7:36am

Default Ring topper display?

I recently started making ring toppers and am very curious as to how people have displayed them at shows. I asked DH for suggestions and of course he didn't have any, so I am asking for some here.

Thanks so much!
Stef

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-12-04, 8:23am

I don't make ring toppers but recently started making poppers/chunks. I bought ring display foam inserts for my jewelry trays and just push the snap part of the popper into the slit and slide it to the one end.

Not sure if that would work for ring tops or not.

Old 2013-12-04, 9:14am
Etched Metal Rocks...

I saw one at a show last weekend…It was a branch (cholla cactus in this case) that was cleaned up and tiny nails were hammered into it…the ring toppers were perched on the nails and looked really cool.

Old 2013-12-04, 9:47pm
offically down under

For a while, I used a earring stand with small screws. I did this so I didn't have to worry about anyone stealing them and I could bump out in a hurry. What I found after a couple of markets is they were way to difficult to screw and unscrew to show each customer.

Old 2013-12-07, 11:10pm
Phill

I am thinking 1/8th in card stock with carpet tacks pushed through from the back. This time of year you could go with X-mas tree shape or other patterns.
Or fabric covered card stock.
Old 2013-12-08, 10:29pm

A couple of months ago before a show, I was desperately trying to come up with a compact, secure, easy to use way to display my ring/pendant toppers. So I wandered through the hardware store for a long time, then saw these: http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...568447.1303587.

They come in different diameters. Just take your dremel and poke holes in whatever pattern works best for you. Then I take 2.5mm screws (I use albanycountyfasteners-ny on eBay - no affiliation), poke them up from the bottom, and screw the topper on securely; they can then be displayed vertically as well as horizontally without losing anything. Kids are the first to figure out how to get the beads off. Lots of customers think they are magnets at first. To store them after the show, just put some toweling or other cushioning between each platter, stack them up, and put them in a box.

This isn't meant as self-promotion because the fair is long over, but check out an article in our local paper showing the craft table: http://thegardenisland.com/news/loca...9bb2963f4.html. They got most of the details wrong, including the photo of my friend that they said was me. She is showing my ring toppers to a customer. I'm actually hidden behind the tall screen with the earrings.

For a better close up of the ring topper displays, here you go:

I meant to post this idea sooner, so glad you asked for ideas!
Old 2013-12-09, 6:31am
Glass-aholic

Maybe a piece of cut mat board or foam core would hold them in well. A lot of local frame shops have a stash of free mats. My studio is in my friend Jenns shop so I always get first pick. I have some flocked velvet boards and interesting scraps too, most are more than I could ever need size wise, and we cut them down to size, Jenn does this, your local framer would too I'm sure They are basically the thickness of the stand up neckless stands so we prop them up in a similar fashion. Ring toppers would be fun to cut longer thinner strips and prop them up in a ring board or similar so the cards are standing, even in staggering heights as to see them all. . If you can't get a clean hole with an awl, drill right into it.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2013-12-09, 7:38am

I should just probably buy some of the 2.5m screws and then I can put them on mat board, lid tops or whatever. I am not sure what carpet tacks look like, so think the screws will work best. Why didn't I think of that?!
I was at the grocery store the other day and they were cutting off the bottoms of the Christmas trees. I asked if I could have them and they said yes! I may try that because it will smell good too.

Thanks for everyone's help. I really appreciate it!

Old 2013-12-11, 6:36am
Glass-aholic

Just beware of sap from the cuttings.

WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2013-12-12, 9:34pm
offically down under

While the screw keeps the toppers secure, they are a PITA when people want to look at the toppers and you have to unscrew about a million beads, hope you don't loose the screw and then put all the toppers back on. Now, I just use a glass bowl with some white rice on the bottom.

Old 2013-12-13, 7:12am

Well I messed up on timing, so won't have the screws in time anyway. Things have gotten a bit crazy for me, so I am keeping it simple.

Thanks for all the ideas!
Stef

Old 2013-12-13, 7:20am
Glass-aholic

Any chance these would push into a block of foam? Could be really neat with all the foam shapes out there, and you could fill in with anything from seed beads to fake flower, or wrap in fabric/mesh first.

Old 2013-12-13, 12:30pm

Could you fasten the screws to the background, so you just unscrew from the front, and the screw stays in place for the next topper? Glue (epoxy?) the screws into a thin wood backing so just enough screw sticks out the front to hold the toppers.
Old 2013-12-15, 8:42pm
offically down under

I had an earring stand that I drilled the holes a bit bigger to fit the screws. I put the screws in from the back and attached them with hot glue. The toppers screwed onto the front for easy viewing.

Believe me when I say that this was a horrible way to try to sell them as the hot glue failed at the first market, the toppers took so much time to remove and replace that I spent my whole day dealing with them when I could have been working much harder to sell my pricier items. PLUS... no one understood what they were on the earring stand.

I would strongly suggest that you go with this kind of system http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Black-Comp...item20d9a3aacb

Old 2013-12-23, 12:26pm
Burning through glass

When I did shows, I would just group my toppers by color in table trays; I'd have to agree that folks just wanted to pick up EVERY top to try them on so screwing and unscrewing from a board might not be super user friendly, but if you have a vertical surface to work with, that will probably be the best way to display them. I have a customer that is doing that very thing for an upcoming show.

If you (or anyone else) needs screws, I do have them and have two different styles (with or without a head). I don't offer them on the website since I've been using them for my own projects, but LMK if you're in need. Here's an image of what I have: . If you glue them into a board, I would recommend 5 minute epoxy.

Feel free to email or PM me if you have any questions!

Changeable Jewelry, Murrini & MORE!

Custom Supplies:

& Fine Art Beads & Jewelry:

&