TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Old 2013-07-19, 2:17pm

Default Flower pendant tutorial

Hey everyone. I wanted to share a tutorial I wrote about in my blog today. I'll give you a snippet and then a link so you can read the rest

Process of making a flower pendant: Tutorial

When I started making glass I was confused as to how different flowers were made. Through research I found out that flowers are simply dots and lines. Those lines can be curved or squiggled. I also learned recently about adding an indention on the ends or using a knife or razor to add a crease in the curve which will cause a shadow in the leaf/flower petal and with some colors make it look like a different color in the crease.

This subject of flower making however tends to be very hush hush in the glass world. This makes me sad because there are many times I see a flower that I would love to try, but have no friggin idea how its done. Thankfully I'm persistent and was able to locate some forum posts that talked about some flower and they used diagrams. This makes it a lot easier to learn and then try new things as you start to understand how things work.

Read the rest here
Attached Images

Old 2013-07-20, 6:21am

Thanks for the tut! Just by varying the layout of the lines ~ squiggly, straight, curved you can come up with lots of different flower types.

So nice of you to share and great job on the tut!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-07-20, 8:20am

biggest/best hint out there.....take a class and/or buy tutorials.
the secrets are secrets for a reason. check out ron bearer's implosion tutorial, a great way to spend $25.
also Kobuki/CMOG has a studio demonstration on how to make a nice flower.
Old 2013-07-20, 8:33am
Phragile Glasswerks

I second on Ron's flower implosion book it has designs and formulas for color combos great book. Well worth it!
Old 2013-07-21, 6:57am

Although I have not bought Ron's book I have heard it's good. However I also feel that some techniques shouldn't have to be paid for. By learning a few basics in line/dot implosions will allow you to try more on your own. But thats in my humble opinion. I'm thankful for others who have shown some basics as well
Old 2013-07-21, 3:56pm
Now part of the Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDooVixen View Post
Although I have not bought Ron's book I have heard it's good. However I also feel that some techniques shouldn't have to be paid for. By learning a few basics in line/dot implosions will allow you to try more on your own. But thats in my humble opinion. I'm thankful for others who have shown some basics as well
Ron's tut is da bomb! It's more about how to make the cane/stringer than about comptrssion/implosion techniques. I still want to take te Kabouki course at CMOG.
Old 2013-07-21, 9:31pm
TJ

Thank you, Vixen! I really appreciated your little tutorial. Your diagram helped a part I was a bit confused about become clear for me. There is no one I know of in my city teaching pendants (only beads), and I am extremely grateful to you - and others - for sharing their knowledge.

I agree with you, the basic techniques of things like a general implosion and just "how to make a flower appear" should be shared. Eventually, a person would figure them out anyways, just with a lot more tears! It is obtaining someone's own special spin and techniques on the process that I think can make sense to pay for.
My Mission and metier: to mindfully and meticulously master the movement of marvelous molten, both mentally and manually, in order to metamorphosis a melting mass into meretricious, memorable makings.
Old 2013-07-22, 6:09am

TJ- I'm glad you found it helpful. sometimes it only takes you one time to see something that helps you understand the how to to 'get it'. and then it opens a whole new room to explore! make sure to sign up for my blog updates to see more tutorials that I'll post. Like I mentioned in the post I hope to have video tuts soon too
Old 2013-07-23, 7:12am
Flamewoman

Hard to compare Ron Bearer to John Kobuki. Just sayin. It takes a very long time, and God given talent to work glass to the level of John Kobuki.
http://www.google.com/search?q=john+...w=1657&bih=940
When your work looks like this you are a master. When you want to learn something, consider the skills of the teacher.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2013-07-23, 8:32am

TJ if you ever want some one on one lessons in boro travel five hours towards B.C. and take some lessons in my studio. I live in Scotch Creek which is an hour before Kamloops. Email me for more info deb@worksinglass.ca

Old 2013-07-24, 9:37am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary K View Post
Hard to compare Ron Bearer to John Kobuki. Just sayin. It takes a very long time, and God given talent to work glass to the level of John Kobuki.
http://www.google.com/search?q=john+...w=1657&bih=940
When your work looks like this you are a master. When you want to learn something, consider the skills of the teacher.
I'm not sure if I should find you last comment about considering the skills of the teacher offensive or not LOL

However I agree with you about comparing Ron and Kobuki... I'm blown away by Kobuki. I watched a demo Kobuki did at Corning recently and got some great tips http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBmoV2Y33UQ

I will also say that even though I'm new to glass (since January) I believe I have knowledge gained from trial and error thus far that I can show/tell others about who are newer than I am or just have not tried to do what I have done. I think people tell themselves they can't teach when in fact they can. We all have to learn somehow.
Old 2013-07-24, 12:05pm
Flamewoman

No offense was intended Jennifer, to anyone. Sorry if you read it that way.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2013-07-25, 3:05am

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDooVixen View Post
However I agree with you about comparing Ron and Kobuki... I'm blown away by Kobuki. I watched a demo Kobuki did at Corning recently and got some great tips http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBmoV2Y33UQ
Thank you for posting this, there were definitely some useful tips in there! (I don't usually get time to watch youtube videos, I'm glad I took it!)

|
|
|
|
Old 2013-07-26, 1:26pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

Back some years ago when the glass scene around Seattle was more active and Momka used to have open house days at her factory there were many good marble makers in addition to John Kabuki that showed up and gave mini lessons. In addition John had regular classes as did Sabina Boehm, N8, Mike Gong, Justin Bagley, Misha and Matt, and others for far more reasonable cost than today. I have taken classes from John at least 4 times. Each one well worth the cost. What I have seen over the intervening years is the slight changes in technique these artists employ. So if you haven't taken a class from your favorite or another good marble maker then retake the class and you will learn the new refined methods they have developed.

The recent post of John's demo at Corning led me to a subtle change he now does that solved a long standing problem I have had and now do not.... as much

PJH

Last edited by cheng076; 2013-07-26 at 1:29pm.
Old 2013-07-28, 9:22am

Karloro - yeah it's defiantly worth watching, I added it to my favorites too so that I could return to it.

Cheng - that sounds amazing! I would defiantly travel a few hours drive to see someone for a class. We've had some demos locally here in West Palm area but it's much different.. you don't have the interaction and ability to really get in there and see what is happening. Plus is mostly pipes being made, which is not mt focus.
Old 2018-06-21, 9:23am
cyvonneh

Has anyone tried the reformulated Lauscha clear? Or have recommendations for clears that have consistent clarity and plays well with all (or most) colors? - using for implosion and vortex pendants

Tags
flower, implosion, pendant, tutorial