Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-04-25, 12:10pm
pedal as fast as you can

Default Patina solder

Does anyone know of a product or method to patina lead-free silver solder? I have tried liver of sulfur with no result. I don't want anything that is paint-like that you just paint a color on. Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-04-25, 12:14pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Craig, I know you say you don't want paint on but have you looked at Gilder's paste? It's very permanent, I have pieces I did 5 years ago that still look the same. They have a verdigri, black, rust, and a variety of other colors, you might investigate it. There are ppl that sell it on Etsy.

Old 2013-04-25, 12:19pm
pedal as fast as you can

Quote:
Originally Posted by alb6094 View Post
Craig, I know you say you don't want paint on but have you looked at Gilder's paste? It's very permanent, I have pieces I did 5 years ago that still look the same. They have a verdigri, black, rust, and a variety of other colors, you might investigate it. There are ppl that sell it on Etsy.

Thank you I will look into that. Thats my issue I want it to be permanent. Thanks for the info

Old 2013-04-25, 4:00pm

Liver of sulphur isn't permanent either. It will change over time.
Old 2013-04-25, 6:05pm
Uh Oh....

Really anything applied to metal isn't permanent. LOS, Gilder's Paste, metal paint can all be scraped off. LOS does change with age. Gilder's Paste works best where there are crevices or texture in the metal. Are you trying to color solder only?

Old 2013-04-25, 7:01pm

Don't the patina's for stained glass work? I have black, antique brass and copper. I know they work for the 60/40 but I've never tried it on the lead free.

"Whether you believe that you can or believe that you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford
Old 2013-04-25, 7:05pm
pedal as fast as you can

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewkittie View Post
Really anything applied to metal isn't permanent. LOS, Gilder's Paste, metal paint can all be scraped off. LOS does change with age. Gilder's Paste works best where there are crevices or texture in the metal. Are you trying to color solder only?
Yes just the solder. I think the lead-free part is creating the issue. I use LOS on copper and I am tring to duplicate that type patina.

Old 2013-04-25, 7:13pm
Uh Oh....

Are you using low melt silver solders with a soldering iron or the kind of silver solder that is used with a torch? I use lead-free silver solder with a torch and LOS acts the same as when it's applied to regular sterling silver. It's not the exact same look as copper though as silver and copper are different colors to begin with. I have no idea how LOS works on low melt silver solders like the kind you would use for stained glass.

Old 2013-04-26, 5:50am
Echo's Mother

Novocon Black