LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-09-30, 9:09am

VERY cool!-Makes me want to go out and melt Pandora all day!
Old 2008-09-30, 9:14am
yukue fumei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaterwunky View Post
I'm late but here's mine
Wooooo-gorgeous!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
nagi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-09-30, 10:20am

Wow! That's eye candy!

Old 2008-09-30, 7:16pm

Kimberly, that are some gorgeous colors there.
I can't decide which one I like more ... they're both stunning!

Old 2008-09-30, 7:19pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Those are beautiful, Kimberly!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-09-30, 8:27pm
Learning...

Moretti & More has it...I just talked to Bill today.

Old 2008-09-30, 9:36pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
A couple of Dark Pandora from me.
WOW! The second one is to die for.

Old 2008-09-30, 9:44pm
I speak Murrini!

GAWD!!! Just gorgeous, everyone!!!! Still can't get my Pandora to behave!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-10-01, 6:01am

Kimberly that second one is stunning!

Old 2008-10-01, 8:01am
yukue fumei

WOW_-Kimberly--to die for!!

nagi

Old 2008-10-03, 6:52am

Wow, been gone for a lil while. Everyone really made Pandora sing!

Amy, love the dark ivory. I was afraid to try it.
Kim, beautiful as always but get to makin some seahorses, been so long since I've seen new ones. Having seahorse withdraws.
Nagi, nice colors all around. And you got the set to match very well done.
Old 2008-10-03, 7:12am
yukue fumei

thanks Shane!!

nagi

Old 2008-10-03, 11:48am
where is that UPS man?

Thanks Nagi. I am loving this stuff....

Deb
SERIOUS GLASS HO

Old 2008-10-05, 5:54am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
A couple of Dark Pandora from me.
Kimberly, what did you use as the base for the bead on the right? Just gorgeous!

Debra
Old 2008-10-05, 12:19pm
Catnip Pusher

Has anyone tried etching Pandora yet? I am curious to see what it does - or if it is easy or hard to etch.

Aimee
Old 2008-10-05, 12:22pm
yukue fumei

i bet it is still beautiful if you made it Kimberly--can I have first dibs on your trash bin?

nagi

Old 2008-10-05, 1:20pm
yukue fumei

Noooooooooooo!
I need a fish net....

nagi

Old 2008-10-05, 6:26pm
yukue fumei

LOL!

nagi

Old 2008-10-07, 1:04am

Hi to all,
I read a lot about pandora glass in this thread. Then I tryed to become so colorfull beads like yours....
first I set up my kiln to 1000°F and had the beads there for more than 4 hours.
they ended up in muddy green
I put them in the kiln again with 560°C = 1040°F an let them again for 4 hours....
still green with a little of red...
I put them again in the kiln with 1040°F for 6 hours....
still muddy green with a little more red and only one with swirls on it (I had a lot more heat by creating this bead) come out with blue.....

so? what do I do wrong?
Do I need a lot of heat? let it cook in the flame?

please help!

Hella
Old 2008-10-07, 3:41am

red means you are over striking it. I had that problem. The good news is that you can heat them back up in the kiln from cold and roll them in the flame until that red comes off. You are annealing them too high. I am getting consisten results by annealing at 960 or 970 for 4-5 hours. But, I have heard and learned from my own experience that getting some oxygen into the kiln through the process will help the colors develop. I do this by taking them out from time to time for a second or pulling my peep hole out or simply opening the door for a few minutes every hour or so. I have one kiln that has a fiber door so it closes down very tightly and no oxygen can get in unless I force it and I have a much harder time striking in that kiln that I do my AIM kiln that has a peep hole and also a harder door so that when a mandrel is in it, it won't close all the way down. Try ramping them back up and just getting that red off. They might bubble a little and then put them back in while you are working and let them sit for 4-6 hours at 965 and try the oxygen thing I mentioned. I heard that the copper that is in it might need oxygen to help it fully devleop. I did not hear this from Double Helix but from another silver glass maker and since I've been letting a little air get in and doing this, I've gotten good results. If you get some color like a bit of brown but no purple or blue, just run it through the cycle again (no need to flame it because it will take away the little color you got) and go through the cycle again. Let us know how it goes.

Old 2008-10-07, 9:14pm

Well, I did go back to Pandora (surprise) and I finally have it at the point that I get somehow predictable results - if I use it as a solid color or if I use it under encasing.

Here are my Pandory Crystals, the first set I'm actually 95 % happy with. The color at least, please do excuse my poor pressing skills - it was the first time I used the crystal press.

I would love to have more of the lighter colors in there, light red and orange, but I shouldn't be ungrateful with the evil Pandora goddess

Now I just have to figure out why the Diamond Clear is cracking when I'm encasing Pandora with it. Anyone else having issues with encasing?

Oh, forgot to mention: they were around 2 hours garaging at 940 F and 2 hours annealing at 980 F.

Old 2008-10-07, 9:15pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

beautiful!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-10-07, 9:24pm

The cracking might be because of your annealing temperature. I always anneal encased silver colors at 965 and I use lauscha and haven't had cracking issues. Maybe bump up the temperature. It shouldn't affect the pandora colors. Beautiful colors by the way and the crystal press is a difficult shape to master.

Old 2008-10-07, 9:25pm

Oh, I see you annealed at 980 so forget what I said about cracking. I got no clue. That is nothing new...

Old 2008-10-08, 12:07am

Hi to all,

Rachel: I did what you recomanded. I had 965°F for 4 hours and the door a little open.
I´ve put the beads back in the flame and reheated them.. before I put them to the annealing....Angel (post on page 12 here) wrote an email and she told me to reheat the glass untill it will bubble... I did....
and
most of them are still muddy green - only just a very very tiny little bit of blue (allmost not to see) came out....

When I first go in the flame, do I have to be carefull with heat? do I work in the end of the flame?
or do I really heat up the glass untill it seems to be transparent?

I am so despaired.....

Hella
Old 2008-10-08, 1:15am

Yes, Hella, reheat till it seems transparent.
You want to restrike the glass which means super heating it.
Then try annealing it again.

Old 2008-10-08, 2:04am
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolychromeBeads View Post
Has anyone tried etching Pandora yet? I am curious to see what it does - or if it is easy or hard to etch.

Aimee

I tried etching this bead for 30 mins. The Pandora never etched, it's still pretty shiny. It's a little bit pitted in some areas, but it's not etched. I also made a bead with dots of pandora on top of ivory. I etched it for 5 mins and the ivory is etched, the dots are shiny like they never were in the etching fluid.

Here, see th big dot? That's Pandora after 5 mins.

Old 2008-10-08, 2:08am

The beads that I put back in the flame were the ones that had gone to brick red which meant they were over-struck. To get them ready to go back in the flame, I ramped them up with the kiln ramp up so it was a pretty fast heat up and then I got them to about 980. When I put them back in the flame, I was careful to heat them in the edge of the flame at first so that I didn't crack them but I was only trying to get the red off and not completely melt them so I didn't get them really hot. I just got them to bubble a little and then when the red was gone I put them back in the kiln. So, I just heated them enough in the flame to get them back to green and then put them back in the kiln and put them through the 960, 4 hour cycle and they actually struck to blues and purples.

I know the glass is a bit picky but keep working with it. I was ready to give up on it until I realized the oxygen thing and that they needed to have a little bit of oxygen during the striking process in the kiln and then I was able to get pretty consistent results. If I don't get enough color from the first striking cycle, I heat them up again with the kiln ramp up and go through the annealing cycle again. I will try to post some pictures of beads I had that had some red on them and then what they looked like after I reheated and put them through again.

Good luck with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hella View Post
Hi to all,

Rachel: I did what you recomanded. I had 965°F for 4 hours and the door a little open.
I´ve put the beads back in the flame and reheated them.. before I put them to the annealing....Angel (post on page 12 here) wrote an email and she told me to reheat the glass untill it will bubble... I did....
and
most of them are still muddy green - only just a very very tiny little bit of blue (allmost not to see) came out....

When I first go in the flame, do I have to be carefull with heat? do I work in the end of the flame?
or do I really heat up the glass untill it seems to be transparent?

I am so despaired.....

Hella

Old 2008-10-08, 6:21pm

TeRangiStudio those are stunning!!!! Cracking though? I haven't encased any Pandora yet, but I would have used the Vetro Crystal Clear also. Anyone else have this problem?

Old 2008-10-18, 8:25am
Giver and Liver of Life

Default Check out my Pandora beads

I'm sorry, I couldn't figure out how to get the images in my post, so just check out my site if you want to see some beads I made with the Pandora glass. Personally, I love the colors but the kiln time is outrageous. I would melt the beads into oblivion if I used the recommended soak temp, so I had to run the kiln three times at a lower temp to achieve these colors. Whew!

http://mercurysglass.com

Tags
pandora, strike