Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-02-19, 5:43pm

That is wierd....cool!

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-02-28, 11:46pm
I speak Murrini!

Hum...I'm super surprised to hear that some people are having difficulty getting the dichro off the copper - I hadn't even opened the package yet and the dichro literally "shattered" off the copper sheet! It is quite "fly-away" too - like cellophane - so I'm going to try and capture as much of this as I can in a container and try a little of it on a marver. We'll have to see how it goes...this isn't what I was expecting, though.

Anyone else had this happen?

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-03-01, 12:01am
Catnip Pusher

Wow De - that is amazing! My whole sheet didn't do that, but when I was taking it out of the plastic I bent it ever so slightly and a corner flaked off. The flakes work just fine - so hang onto all those bits!

I have some beads I did with it on Friday, and I'll post as soon as I get time to clean and take pics. I think I like the look of the flakes best myself, so other than being messy I don't think you've got a problem.

Aimee
Old 2009-03-01, 12:26am
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolychromeBeads View Post
Wow De - that is amazing! My whole sheet didn't do that, but when I was taking it out of the plastic I bent it ever so slightly and a corner flaked off. The flakes work just fine - so hang onto all those bits!

I have some beads I did with it on Friday, and I'll post as soon as I get time to clean and take pics. I think I like the look of the flakes best myself, so other than being messy I don't think you've got a problem.

Aimee
Thanks for the input...I didn't even have to open the package - there appears to be a small "breach" in the seal, and almost all the "shreds" have been put into a container:

I'm thinking this may just not be my bag...and I'm considering posting them in the Garage to find it a home where someone has the time, patience and space to work with it...

Do you think anyone would want it? I'd send the copper along too...

De

Old 2009-03-01, 7:03am
Heal with Steel

I love it De, give it a try before you get rid of it. I put a little bit on my marver and work with only small amounts at a time. It doesn't scum at all or burn off, very sparkly!

eli
Old 2009-03-01, 9:25am

De I am so sorry to see what happened to your sheet. As I was packing them up I had a few instances where the copper bent and some flaking occurred in a small areas. But that is crazy.

I wonder if you could use it like silver leaf. Get a paper towel wet, I put mine on a piece of marble, then sprinkle the dichro on the wet paper towel. Pick the dichro up with your hot bead.

I am going to call CBS about this tomorrow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-03-01, 10:48am
I speak Murrini!

Thanks Michelle~~~

I'm wondering if this isn't going to turn out to be a GOOD thing - in that I see some folks are having trouble getting their dichro off the copper sheet - ha, not here!!! In any case, I was feeling sad about it yesterday, but maybe it's a blessing in disguise? I'm gonna give it a try today - and if it is too much of a PITA, I'm going to offer them up.

I appreciate your efforts so very much! I know you worked hard on the BB and I came in at the end...hope I don't sound like a dang ingrate! Nevertheless, it is what it is, and I thought I'd put it out there so everyone could be aware...

I suppose the positive of this is for those who don't want to work with the flakes/shards, BE EVER SO CAREFUL WITH YOUR COPPER SHEETS!!! One bend, or possibly a good "tap" on the side, will ignite the fracturing...and apparently once it starts, there's not much stopping it!

De

Old 2009-03-01, 11:25am

DeAnne one other thought I had is to pick up some of the flakes with a gather of clear glass, mix it well, then pull it into stringers.

This is one of my favorite uses of dichro. With the dichro in this form you could get a pretty heavy application of it in the glass.

Old 2009-03-01, 11:28am
I speak Murrini!

Sounds good to me, Michelle!!! I'm gonna try it...I bought this product especially to use with Boro, so that's what I'm gonna try! I love the idea that you can use this coating with any glass and basically create you own COE-compatible dichro...

Will be sure to post what happens - stay tuned!

De

Old 2009-03-02, 9:59pm
Catnip Pusher

Okay - last Friday I did 3 beads with the new Dichro. Two test beads, and one "real" bead (LOL!).

These are the test beads:

The first was the bit that fell off when I accidently bent the foil, it's on a seashell base and has been encased. The second is on a black base, and I rolled the bead over the dichro on the foil. Got a lot more dichro! It's cool how it broke up when I encased it too.

This is the bead I made afterwards:

I had a hard time getting the opalino green hot enough to pick up the bits of dichro. Only a few stuck, but it still looks cool. Couldn't get a decent close-up of the dichro on this bead (need a new camera!) where you can really see the colors.

I think I like this stuff!!

Aimee
Old 2009-03-02, 10:31pm
And silence is golden

So whatcha gonna do with the copper sheet now. That'll be fun to see the results!
Old 2009-03-03, 8:51am
Jer. 29:11, Prov.10:19

It looks different than I expected it to, I think I was imagining a smooth layer, not flakes.
I'm thinking I'm glad I didn't get any in Tucson----it was a choice between this and old EDP, and I chose the EDP.
Old 2009-03-09, 1:53am
aka Pele's Fire

Okay I wanted to be fair about this new product. I finally got some of this stuff to flake off by bending my sheet several times very forcefully.....nothing like the picture posted by someone on this thread a few days ago.....but enough that I could put a little bit on a marver and get a little on my bead. Rolling hot glass across the sheet does nothing, and I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Flaking it off is the only way I could get this to work, but I think the bead is gonna turn out nice. It looks like silver foil, however and not like dicro ( I think others have commented on this as well). I will see how the bead turns out in the morning. Some of the pieces were not stuck down good and got hit by the flame a little bit and I am wondering if it is gonna show any scum.

Terryl

On the eight day, God created fire.....he created big, big, blazing fire.
Old 2009-03-09, 12:06pm

I couldn't pick it up off the sheet with hot glass at all. Even scored & slightly frayed at the edges. But the scraps that flake off when the sheet is bent are super cool. I think CBS should offer it in jars like that.
Old 2009-03-09, 12:17pm

Mine just arrived and I'm looking forward to trying it.
Old 2009-03-09, 1:16pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavendar420 View Post
I couldn't pick it up off the sheet with hot glass at all. Even scored & slightly frayed at the edges. But the scraps that flake off when the sheet is bent are super cool. I think CBS should offer it in jars like that.
I told them at CBS that they should offer this in jars. I'd prefer not having to deal with the copper at all.

I found the glass had to be extremely hot to pick up the dichro. Since I was making stringers I was able to do that. The flakes were pretty big and but I was happy with the amount of the dichro I was able to get into the stringers. It was suggested by CBS that I chop up the dichro to get the pieces smaller. I look forward to getting the opportunity to try chopping it with a razor blade.

I am not thrilled with this bead, mostly because of placement of the blossoms. But I am excited about the possibilities of the dichro. The pic doesn't really show it but it is very sparkely and is showing pinks an blues in the dichro. Right now I am regretting taking four classes.....projects are getting in the way!

Old 2009-03-09, 1:30pm
aka Pele's Fire

I am with you guys. Just offer the stuff in jars. The copper is too much trouble. Mine turned out okay. Just like silver foil except without the reaction silver sometimes has with clear. I will see if I can collect some more. I might end up wasting some of it because the little pieces fly away so much, but at least it won't be just sitting around the shop as another useless item.

Terryl

On the eight day, God created fire.....he created big, big, blazing fire.
Old 2009-03-09, 3:23pm

Terry I tried putting it on the wet paper towel, like you do with silver foil, to keep it from flying away. It was still hard to pick it up. But I didn't have that much on the towel and it was kind of all over the place. I will try again after I have chopped and have a bit more on the towel. It did stay in place though!

Old 2010-03-17, 8:58am
Jacqueline Parkes

Well I have been researching this product and this thread has me a little scared off. The video DOES make it look so easy........

Bump, bump , bump!

Also, if it just gives you the look of silver foil and not dichro then I am not that interested.

Any new updates on this product?

Old 2010-03-17, 9:28am
Dangerous Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryl View Post
I am with you guys. Just offer the stuff in jars. The copper is too much trouble. Mine turned out okay. Just like silver foil except without the reaction silver sometimes has with clear. I will see if I can collect some more. I might end up wasting some of it because the little pieces fly away so much, but at least it won't be just sitting around the shop as another useless item.

Terryl
Has anyone suggested this to CBS? That would be totally the way to go!!! People have posted about using the copper in beads but I think it is too thick.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2010-03-17, 9:58am

I never went back to this stuff. It has turned out to be another unused item hanging out in the studio. For me I think it is the color. I prefer colored dichro.

Old 2010-03-17, 10:30am
Jacqueline Parkes

Awww that is too bad. How do you purchase your dichro? I am really having a hard time using it in the strip form. I am now considering sheets.

The video of the product made it look so easy and I got excited but I wanted to do the proper research. Thanks for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bousky View Post
I never went back to this stuff. It has turned out to be another unused item hanging out in the studio. For me I think it is the color. I prefer colored dichro.

Old 2010-03-17, 10:49am

I don't think it is a bad product. I really don't like the silver, which was the only color that was available at the time. I don't know if that has changed or not.

Old 2010-03-17, 1:47pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I like it ground up - it adds beautiful shimmer. Other than that, meh.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-03-17, 2:51pm
Jacqueline Parkes

So break pieces off and smash it like frit? Then roll while the bead is hot? That could be workable for me but ya , I am not interested in just silver..

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post

Old 2010-03-17, 6:13pm
More ideas than talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
Yes, me too. looks good ground or in small flakes.

Rolled onto a bead it looks more foil and doesn't shimmer like dichro.

Old 2010-03-17, 7:18pm
LE cat whisperer

I ran across this thread and thought this might offer some more insight about the dichroic copper. I bought my first sheet of this stuff a while back and I loved it. It came off the copper very easily. I loved it so much I bought another sheet of it. I went to make another set with the new sheet of dichroic and it was like OMGGGGGGGGGG, this stuff wouldn't come off the copper foil to save my life!!!!! No matter how hot my beads were when rolling across the copper, nothing released onto my bead. I bent the copper, folded it, lanced it with my razor blade, and it only would release tiny flakes. The flakes were very thin and almost see through. The dichroic wasn't the sparkle like the last sheet I had, it was more a sheen. Needless to say I was not a happy camper!! I emailed customer service at CBS and explained what was happening and how extreme the differences were between the two sheets. I wish now I had kept the email, but it basically said they cannot guarantee the dichroic color application will be the same for every sheet. They did allow me to send the sheet that caused the problem back and sent me a new one. Unfortunately however, the new sheet they sent me was worse then the one I sent back to them. Personally the variations are so extreme that I am hesitant about buying it again. The best advice I can offer is to ask the supplier who is carrying the product to do a little test by bending the corner by just a little bit. If they will do this for you before you buy it that would save you alot of grief. If it comes off very easily, in strips, then you know you have gotten the good batch of it. If it only flakes off at the bend, you know that is the batch you don't want. I know this was a long response, but I wanted everyone to know what happened to me and apparently to some other people in this thread. If I knew I could get the right sheet of the dichroic, I would buy another sheet in a heartbeat. Hope this helped.......

Tanya Harness-Floyd

Website ~
~
~
Old 2010-03-17, 7:34pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I grind it in a mortar and pestle

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-03-18, 8:46am

I am going to have to try grinding it. I am glad this thread was revived! Maybe the product won't go to waste!

Old 2010-03-18, 8:54am
Catnip Pusher

I'd like to see what it looks like in a bead when you grind it.

Aimee