No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-01-18, 6:05pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Default Setting Czs in Florals

I know I could search for a few hours but to be honest, I feel like crap today. The next step in my florals is to set czs in the middle of the beauties. I was told years ago you put them on the end of mandrels with glue? I just tried that, umm.....those little suckers don't want to stay still. And easier way?

I have 2mm , is that the correct size? I would like to order more so I need to make sure I get the right size. I know HOWACO has some.

Also, I only have ten so this has got to be good. I would love to get one bead with three florals/czs that turns out.

Also.........lol..................do I dot of clear over top?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-01-18, 6:06pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

you have to let the glue dry.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-01-18, 6:11pm
In search of her path....

glue stick!

use a glue stick scrape a lil bit of the glue stick glue onto the end of a mandrel (I use lil 6-8" shortie mandrels) then with the lil bit of glue on the end it wont drip or anything because its pasty pick up your cz flat side to the glue you can use them right away that way or let them dry a lil bit but not all the way. its really easy this way i never was able to do the elmers way lol. But I got it to work with glue sticks

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2010-01-18, 6:13pm
Jacqueline Parkes

It slides off before drying........

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
you have to let the glue dry.

Old 2010-01-18, 6:14pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Oh glue stick, brilliant! Someone just pm me and said she holds it in the tweezers and pops it in. Sounds tricky lol

Do you all put clear over top too?

2mm the correct size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IF-Designs View Post
glue stick!

use a glue stick scrape a lil bit of the glue stick glue onto the end of a mandrel (I use lil 6-8" shortie mandrels) then with the lil bit of glue on the end it wont drip or anything because its pasty pick up your cz flat side to the glue you can use them right away that way or let them dry a lil bit but not all the way. its really easy this way i never was able to do the elmers way lol. But I got it to work with glue sticks

Old 2010-01-18, 6:15pm

sometmes i cap with clear sometmes not just depends on the look im going for...
i typically use 2mm some folks do use as small as 1mm and 1.5mm i will say the 1mm are really hard for me personally to handle I do better with the 2mm.

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2010-01-18, 6:16pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Okay thank you, time to order some czs then as I suspect I will lose quite a few in the beginning. Is there quite a learning curve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IF-Designs View Post
sometmes i cap with clear sometmes not just depends on the look im going for...
i typically use 2mm some folks do use as small as 1mm and 1.5mm i will say the 1mm are really hard for me personally to handle I do better with the 2mm.

Old 2010-01-18, 6:42pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Well I don't have a glue stick atm but I let the white liquid glue sit out in the air for a bit first before touching down on the cz. Much easier......

I will try a floral tonight and post anything I discover here for anyone who wants to try this too.

Old 2010-01-18, 6:47pm

I took me a lil bit to get it but once i started with the glue stick it waas so much easier. Good luck!

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2010-01-18, 6:50pm
I think my raku is broken

Gems, you are so generous with your knowledge. I really appreciate that.

Old 2010-01-18, 7:16pm
I'm a lilac!

I use 1mm, and I suspect handling 2mm is different because they're big enough to weigh something but I put a dab of white glue on a bottle cap, then touch a mandrel to it, touch the mandrel to the top of a cz, then I set them upright to dry in a tin can full of sand. I usually do a whole bunch at a time and use them over weeks or even months.

Old 2010-01-18, 7:21pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Well I just tried a bead with three czs. Things I learned:

1. Do not push the cz too deep. I now have bubbles over the czs so it just looks like a regular encased floral with no cz lol

2. I need to learn how to get them in straighter. They all went in crooked and I had to fiddle alot to try and fix them.

Old 2010-01-18, 7:42pm
Sucks at being nice

I don't see your address in the RAOGK so pm it to me and I'll send you some more czs. I have a lot and can share some 1.5 & 2mm.

Old 2010-01-18, 9:34pm

gems, make sure your mandrel end is flat before glueing the cz on. I put them in that green floral foam.
Old 2010-01-19, 12:04am
Formerly Fireflyartglass

I use 2mm.
First I poke the middle of my floral like you would if you were going to encase and leave a bubble. Then I pick up the cz with tweezers - pointy side down, warm up where you poked and put the cz in. Often I drop it in and it sits there for a second in the nice little hole I have poked for it then I use the side of the tweezers to press it down. If it doesn't press in properly you didn't get the bead hot enough and have to try again! then once the cz is in you encase as normal.

Last edited by Leanne; 2010-01-19 at 12:13am. Reason: forgot the last step
Old 2010-01-19, 12:43am
I need more boro stuff

I use mostly 1mm and 1.5mm CZ.

I do what Leanne does poke the middle, spot heat again and drop the CZ with tweezers.
I tried with glue before, I like it as well but too much effort to prepared them considering I never have any plan what to make in hand.

Old 2010-01-19, 10:18am
Jacqueline Parkes

When I did this, I ended up with a bubble over the cz and then the cz is not visible. Am I poking too deeply?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanne View Post
I use 2mm.
First I poke the middle of my floral like you would if you were going to encase and leave a bubble. Then I pick up the cz with tweezers - pointy side down, warm up where you poked and put the cz in. Often I drop it in and it sits there for a second in the nice little hole I have poked for it then I use the side of the tweezers to press it down. If it doesn't press in properly you didn't get the bead hot enough and have to try again! then once the cz is in you encase as normal.

Old 2010-01-19, 12:18pm
Ellyloo-YAH!

Ok, thinking backwards here... if I want to cap to catch a bubble, I leave a divot, and put clear on top as quick as I can, and sort of like a little mini 'maria' so i don't let air escape as the glass melts.

If you DON"T want a bubble, I would guess--your encasing glass has to be REALLY liquid over that cz dent, and come at it from the side so that as it melts into place, it can squeeze the air out somewhere. If you cover the divot up all at once, it'll be trapped.

I would say, poke your flower as much as you want to get the 3Dness of the petals, melt the divot in just a bit, and then drop your cz in so that it doesn't fall halfway to china before stopping. You can always take a rake or a pick and push the cz in deeper if you need to after the fact. The poke is for it to sit right.

Last edited by ellyloo; 2010-01-19 at 12:21pm.
Old 2010-01-19, 1:52pm
sunscreen me baby

I don't cover my cz's in my florals. I poke the center to leave a little spot for the cz. I push the cz in (glued on the end of mandrel) and then heat it to make sure the glass cuddles the cz to keep it secure.

~

Old 2010-01-19, 2:10pm
Jacqueline Parkes

For those of you who are using a pair of tweezers to drop the cz in, could you post me a pic or something? I tried my eyebrow tweezers. Boy that was a failure lol

Old 2010-01-19, 2:12pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I believe I was having problems with the mandrel technique because the end of my mandrels are too pointy. How do you level them out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
I don't cover my cz's in my florals. I poke the center to leave a little spot for the cz. I push the cz in (glued on the end of mandrel) and then heat it to make sure the glass cuddles the cz to keep it secure.

Old 2010-01-19, 2:14pm
sunscreen me baby

I have old bent 3/32 mandrels I use and the ends are blunt. Does the man of the house have a bench grinder you could utilize? You could even file them blunt. Or if you want I'll send you a bunch of my bent icky ones

~

Old 2010-01-19, 2:38pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I live alone but I do own a bench grinder. I was never that comfy using it. Don't you find the mandrel gets hot?

Quote:
I have old bent 3/32 mandrels I use and the ends are blunt. Does the man of the house have a bench grinder you could utilize? You could even file them blunt. Or if you want I'll send you a bunch of my bent icky ones

Old 2010-01-19, 2:42pm
sunscreen me baby

It takes mere seconds to grind the end flat.

~

Old 2010-01-19, 2:43pm
sunscreen me baby

btw, sorry for the sexist comment I'm the one that owns our bench grinder, lol.

~

Old 2010-01-19, 4:07pm
Lampworkaholic!

http://www.arrowsprings.com/html/holding_tools.html

I use the straight one. I have my CZs laid out with the flat side down. I pick it up with the pointy tweezer and back hand it into the hole I poked in my bead. I cap with a small dot of clear, not so much as to trap air.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-01-19, 4:13pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
When I did this, I ended up with a bubble over the cz and then the cz is not visible. Am I poking too deeply?
Yes, try pushing them in less, and also what I do is use a clear stringer to put a tiny dot of clear right on the CZ before fully encasing.

Old 2010-01-19, 4:34pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Hehe np and I will give it a try again. Do you just hold the mandrel at a 90 degree angle to the grinder? Sorry for all the questions

Quote:
btw, sorry for the sexist comment I'm the one that owns our bench grinder, lol.

Old 2010-01-19, 4:35pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Okay thanks for the hints! I have to wait now as I destroyed all mine lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
Yes, try pushing them in less, and also what I do is use a clear stringer to put a tiny dot of clear right on the CZ before fully encasing.

Old 2010-01-19, 4:36pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Thanks for the tip, are those made specifically for lampwork? Do you hold the cz by the base? Sorry but I was so clumsy with it.

What do you mean by backhand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post

http://www.arrowsprings.com/html/holding_tools.html

I use the straight one. I have my CZs laid out with the flat side down. I pick it up with the pointy tweezer and back hand it into the hole I poked in my bead. I cap with a small dot of clear, not so much as to trap air.