Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2010-04-06, 12:02pm

Talking hothead noise?

Just started lampworking a few weeks ago and I am hooked! I would like to set up a studio eventually but the cost is . . . well you know. So I thought that I would start with a low cost set up and work on my back padio (and that is saying something as I live in Alaska and it is snowing right now.) I've been working on a mini cc at my instructors studio and I like it but it just isn't in the budget right now.
So - the hothead! I've been reading a lot about the hothead torches and wow, some of you have made beautiful stuff on the hothead. However, some of you have made comments about the volume. Please, tell me about the noise a bit more. Just how loud is this thing? As loud as a big fan on full speed? A vacuum cleaner? a buzz saw? (some people said that they just could not stand the noise more than 2 days.) Will my neighbors be bothered if I am out there working? Thanks for the info.
Old 2010-04-06, 12:23pm
Somebody's watching me!

haha..well i think it is about as loud as the vent above your stove top. It is kind of difficult to listen to a radio while working on the HH. Your neighbors won't have a clue as to what you're doing unless you tell them. The volume of the HH is loud only in the immediate proximity of the torch. It isn't like a lawnmower it isn't like a big fan. It's just loud enough to be an annoyance and nothing more. I worked on the HH for 2 months and the noise was only a problem because i couldn't turn on the radio and hear it well.

If it's a trade off of saving money and going with a louder torch, the trade is good. I will say that going from two fuel to single fuel torch will be a pretty big change. The newer HH's have basically an on and off. the flame is (basically) not adjustable. If you find a used older version of the HH, it is my understanding that you are able to adjust the flame. i think they are pretty rare though and don't go for any less money than the new HH's.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-04-06, 12:56pm

I torched on an HH for 2 yrs and some on this forum for a LOT longer. I recently converted to a Nortel Minor and tanked propane. I could not believe how quiet it is!

Old 2010-04-07, 12:03pm

I am generally bothered by noise (I get migraines and often have headaches), but my HH hasn't really bothered me. Once I start my ventilation fan (it's older and louder than more expensive models) and the torch, DH and I can't carry on a conversation without shouting, that's the only time I really notice it. Otherwise, I'm so into my beadwork that the rest of the world just melts away. It certainly won't be bothering your neighbors. It's a whooshy white noise, not high pitched like some machines can be (blenders, etc.). It would be nice it it were quiet, but if it's all you can afford don't let the noise stop you - bead on!
Old 2010-04-08, 9:29am
Covered in glitter

I've used a HH and the noise doesn't really bother me until I turn it off and realize how loud it had been. It's just kind of a big hiss and not that annoying while you're using it.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2010-04-08, 9:36am
Salt Box Beads

It's not loud like a vacuum and you can turn that off after a half hour or so. The continuous noise of the HH over several hours can be bothersome.

I use noise cancelling head phones attached to my Sansa. I can play the radio or tunes I have saved or I can plug the headphones into my portable DVD player and watch ( listen) to a movie while torching.

I especially like listening to classical. I tried my fav rock and roll, salsa etc. but I stand while torching and found myself dancing too much!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A3BaKszW5A

Lorraine

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2010-04-08 at 9:40am.
Old 2010-04-08, 11:02am
Hobby Junkie

The hiss of my Hothead never really bothered me much. I think my dual gas torch is too quiet sometimes (unless I'm working Boro). I like the hiss. I guess I'm just strange. I've always liked my studio loud. I do remember not being able to hear the radio well over my Hothead though. It's a "whitenoise" kind of sound, so you shouldn't get complaints from the neighbors (unless you turn up your radio so you can hear it).

Old 2010-04-08, 1:35pm

Thanks for the information! I went ahead and ordered a "starter kit" with the HH. Could take a few weeks to get here - I can't wait! But at least it should get a bit warmer by then.
Old 2010-04-10, 8:16am
Kobuki & DIY Homefill Sys

fwiw, I sold my hothead after 2 sessions because it was too noisy and it could barely melt 90 coe...
Old 2010-04-10, 12:00pm
Borovangelist

WHAT?!?!

It's about as noisy as a plumber's sweating torch, so if you've played with one of those, there ya go, you know what it's like

|
|
Old 2010-04-11, 2:42pm
burnin' glass just becuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaBean View Post
The hiss of my Hothead never really bothered me much. I think my dual gas torch is too quiet sometimes (unless I'm working Boro). I like the hiss. I guess I'm just strange. I've always liked my studio loud. I do remember not being able to hear the radio well over my Hothead though. It's a "whitenoise" kind of sound, so you shouldn't get complaints from the neighbors (unless you turn up your radio so you can hear it).
ditto... the noise kind of soothed me. once i switched to the Mega, it felt really weird to be working in such quiet...lol. in an case, a mp3 with noise cancelling headphones works when the noise is too distracting.

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2010-04-15, 9:07am

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbone View Post
fwiw, I sold my hothead after 2 sessions because it was too noisy and it could barely melt 90 coe...
WHAT? I melted 90, 96, 104, all with no problems at ALL on my HH...Nikki (she's stubborn) made some small boro (33) beads on hers, just to prove it *could* be done (ok, so it takes a week & a half, but it *will* do it!)...it's most certainly hot enough to melt any soft glass--you do have to have some small amount of patience though!

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2010-04-16, 9:19am

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52176

I'll admit to the noise, but that torch could ROCK anything I put in front of it... With patience.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon