Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-02-24, 9:25am

Monica I wasn't trying to persuade you into buying CIM or trying to make you feel bad for not buying from them. I was actually trying to back you up. sorry if I upset you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-02-24, 9:32am
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledragonfly View Post
Monica I wasn't trying to persuade you into buying CIM or trying to make you feel bad for not buying from them. I was actually trying to back you up. sorry if I upset you.
Oh goodness, no. You didn't upset me. No one has upset me. I hope I haven't ticked anyone off. I just wanted to make it perfectly clear what my intentions were as far as finding good black glass and that I am ABSOLUTELY NOT badmouthing CiM.
Old 2012-02-24, 9:38am

I knew you weren't bad mouthing CIM. I just wanted to be sure you understood I wasn't bad mouthing you for not buying CIM........

Old 2012-02-24, 12:36pm

Lauscha makes a nice black Monica. It works a lot like Effetre.

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2012-02-24, 9:14pm

Monica, I don't know how you feel about the company in India that makes the Devardi glass, but they have a very lovely black glass that stays black down to hair thin stringers. I haven't noticed that it conflicts with any other glass by bleeding or swallowing anything. They have two other flavors of black that can give you a lovely metallic effect in silver or a coppery gold. And they have just started carrying a black that gives a rainbow metallic effect. It is not an expensive glass to check out.

Andrea
Old 2012-02-25, 7:01am

For what its worth to anyone posting in this thread, CIM Hades is my goto black and I haven't had any of the "swallowing" issues. I also haven't used much silver glass with my Hades.

I also am a proud owner of an S-load of CIM colors! Almost as much CIM as Effetre.

Just sayin'

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2012-02-25, 8:15am

I like IB stringers for twisted cane. I just encase the cane in clear before I pull it and no webbing. But you have to melt off the ends rather than cutting it, which exposes the IB and can lead to webbing around the cut end.

Available as an audiobook

Susan Hasler--torch-wielding novelist
Old 2012-02-25, 9:13am
Formerly FishBulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowbead View Post
I like IB stringers for twisted cane. I just encase the cane in clear before I pull it and no webbing. But you have to melt off the ends rather than cutting it, which exposes the IB and can lead to webbing around the cut end.
That's a great tip! Thanks for sharing.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2012-02-25, 12:49pm

Monica,

Lauscha Raven Black is a nice dense black I would recommend.

Elke
Old 2012-03-16, 5:53pm

I am very new and have lots of glass rods purchased from 2 people going out of beadmaking. Now I know I have Effetre black rods and Super Dense black rods. But they are not all labeled. Is there any way to tell them apart.

I was looking up prices and realized there is a huge difference, and it would be great to know if I am using an expensive black or a cheap one, and I'd love to try the web technique I've ready about.

Thanks!

Cheryl

Thanks for your help.
Old 2012-03-16, 10:54pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherylka View Post
. . . I have Effetre black rods and Super Dense black rods . . . Is there any way to tell them apart
Heat the ends and squish them into super thin pancakes or pull thin stringers. The dense black remains opaque black, but the other goes transparent (purple, usually - some brands are green, etc.).
Old 2012-03-16, 11:12pm

Great tip, thanks Dusty!

Cheryl
Old 2012-03-18, 4:17pm

So I sat at my torch today, pile of black rods at my side. Pulled hair-thin stringer after stringer. Purple, purple, purple, Black!

Woohoo, I can see the difference. Actually some of the rods had shards from cutting at the end and I could see the purple in the light.

I tried the webbing technique with my new dense black stringer and had so much fun watching the black spread out and web in front of my eyes. Can't wait to see how they look out of the fiber blanket!

I'm so glad I found LE, I've gotten so many tips and amazing inspiration here!

Cheryl
Old 2021-05-10, 3:38pm

I know this is an old thread but I would like to ask a question about Black.
I recently purchased a destash of what the seller was pretty sure was Vetrofond Black.
Is there a way to tell it from regular Effetre Black? I think I saw that Effetre pulls thin as purple and Vetrofond pulls thin as blue?
Thanks!
Robin
Old 2021-05-11, 8:46am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Baum View Post
I know this is an old thread but I would like to ask a question about Black.
I recently purchased a destash of what the seller was pretty sure was Vetrofond Black.
Is there a way to tell it from regular Effetre Black? I think I saw that Effetre pulls thin as purple and Vetrofond pulls thin as blue?
Thanks!
Robin
That is correct. Also, Vetrofond doesn't web, so it's nice to use in applications where you want the black to stay where it is.
Old 2021-05-11, 8:56am

I make and melt in dots on white to check them. The Vetro will have a blue tint and the Effetre a purple tint.
Old 2021-06-10, 9:24am

I noticed that no one mentioned DH Oracle black, I just ordered some since I love, love, love their Zephyr clear. I hope I haven't made a mistake!
Old 2021-06-11, 11:07am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaDangerous View Post
I noticed that no one mentioned DH Oracle black, I just ordered some since I love, love, love their Zephyr clear. I hope I haven't made a mistake!
No, I wouldn’t say you made a mistake. It is a nice black and I do like it. IMO, I still think Vetrafond black is one of the best, but it is very hard to find since it is out of production and really only exists in people’s stockpiles. Occasionally comes up in destash, but not often.
Old 2022-04-17, 1:44pm

Thanks everyone!!