Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-05-30, 4:07pm

Default Hooking up tanked oxygen...

Until I can get my oxycon serviced, I want to try tanked oxygen with my new Cricket torch.

I can buy the bottles at my local Home Depot, but don't know what I need to add to the setup. Do I need a regulator, like the propane, or just add fittings to connect it to my hose end?
Old 2014-05-30, 5:38pm
PyronamixK

Is this the oxygen cylinder you're talking about?

That is super expensive for what you get ($9.97 for 1.4 they say oz, but I think they mean cubic feet) and it probably would not last you very long.

I would suggest you find a welding shop and see about renting a K tank. And yes, you will need an oxygen regulator. It has to be a regulator specifically for oxygen.

Last edited by kbinkster; 2014-05-30 at 6:01pm.
Old 2014-05-30, 5:44pm

You need a regulator, an arrestor, maybe lines and such.
Look over at the safety section, Dale I think can walk you trough it.
You may also find instructions on the whale website on hooking up the torch with tanked o2.
Compare prices between your hardware, welding supply, and maybe tractor supply co.
bigger tanks are cheaper by volume, but can be awkward to move and secure on your own.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-05-30, 5:48pm

Lowes, home depo, and others sell the C sized tanks.
O2 tanks are much higher pressure then your fuel.

You need a regulator, an arrestor, maybe lines and such.
Look over at the safety section, Dale I think can walk you trough it.
You may also find instructions on the whale website on hooking up the torch with tanked o2.
Compare prices between your hardware, welding supply, and maybe tractor supply co.
bigger tanks are cheaper by volume, but can be awkward to move and secure on your own.

Old 2014-05-30, 6:17pm
PyronamixK

Do you already have a twin line T-grade hose set? If so, you can use the green oxygen line with an oxygen cylinder.

A welding shop (or a glass supplier) will have the best selection of regulators. You want to buy based on function, not cost. If you buy a cheap regulator that fluctuates at low pressures, then you have wasted your money.

A C size cylinder typically holds 170 liters of oxygen. To give you an idea of how long that would last, if you are using 5 liters per minute, a tank that size would last you about 34 minutes. If you are using less, naturally, it will last longer, but that still isn't very long. A K tank is a pretty common sized tank used by beadmakers. Some of us have special cylinder dollies to help transport them. Some people roll the tanks on their ends to move them to where they need to be. They are very heavy, but mostly manageable unless you have physical limitations. You should always chain your tank to a wall. If the top valve is somehow knocked off, like from a fall, the cylinder - regardless of size - will become a missile, and is capable of going through cinderblock walls.

Hooking up to an oxygen tank is not terribly difficult, but you want to make sure that you do not cross-thread the regulator onto the threaded outlet on the tank and you want to make sure that there are no leaks. Do not use teflon tape. Always open and close the oxygen valve on the tank all the way - never partially. Back out the T on your regulator when you shut down. This will help your regulator last longer.

Using flashback arrestors is not a bad idea. It's an added safety feature. Some people advocate using them at the tank while others advocate using them at the torch. I'm sure you can find more information in the safety section.
Old 2014-05-30, 8:00pm

My Cricket ha a black hose on the propane side and a green hose on the oxy side - that WAS attached to the secondhand oxy-con unit.

It looks like the oxy-con needs a service trip, as the poor thing beeps at regular intervals and the red light tagged High is flashing on the circuit board - so I thought I would try with bottled oxy for a couple of weeks until the non-rent paycheque...

Dad was a welder, so not worried about managing larger tanks, just not sure about the logistics of the connection. We do have a few welding supply places here, so getting the right pieces should be fairly easy.

Off to read the entire Safety section now
Old 2014-05-30, 8:09pm
PyronamixK

Look for a 1/4" ID (inner diameter) green (rubber) hose with a "B" fitting. That could very well be what you had on your oxygen concentrator (unless you are talking about a clear green vinyl hose).
Old 2014-05-30, 9:31pm

The short section of green hose that came attached to the torch is connected to the clear hose attached to the oxy-con by a double-ended barbed fitting/hose clamp combo.

I'm guessing the ID is 1/4", my calipers are in the storage locker with my woodworking tools...
Old 2014-05-30, 11:24pm
Borovangelist

If you wind up inquiring at the welding shop, ask about a lease instead of a rental. It's a subtle difference, but one that can save you a lot of money.

Think the difference between someone coming to town and needing it for the day (rental) vs. someone that will have the tank for a longer term and will be in frequently for paid swaps (lease).

Tanks rock, btw. I have a Cricket and it does ok on the 5 lpm concentrator, but it's far far more enjoyable on the tank.

|
|
Old 2014-05-31, 8:02am
Gentleman of Leisure

Some ramblings I wrote to help people setup....

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum....php?f=12&t=11

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...c.php?f=12&t=8

Although the torch mentioned in ramblings is specific, the techniques apply to almost all fuel/oxygen torches..... If you already have fuel setup, ignore those words and concentrate on oxygen side of setup...

Those tiny bottles from home depot and hardware stores may last you 30 to 45 minutes at most.... Go to local welding supply (LWS) inquire about rent/lease (for just trial) or purchase (for long term use) of oxygen tank... Some advocate "K" tank but they are big and weigh in at about 124 lbs. Smaller tank have less volume and you will have to exchange them more but its all about what size tank you can safely handle.... Try to avoid cheap Chinese Republic Authorized Product (CRAP) when purchasing a regulator...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2014-05-31 at 8:05am.
Old 2014-05-31, 8:19am
honorary bead lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
Try to avoid cheap Chinese Republic Authorized Product (CRAP) when purchasing a regulator...
CRAP I like that!
Old 2014-06-03, 7:12pm
Phill

I may have found my next tee shirt!

"Chinese Republic Authorized Product (CRAP)"

Thanks Dale. That phrase is going to live forever in my world.