No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-07-25, 4:20am
You can call me Slater

Default Implosion beads

Can anyone help me find some info or tutorial on implosion beads? I know how the implosion part works, but once that's accomplished I'm not sure how you position your punties to shape it into a pendant. Of course the implosion wants to form into a ball, do you keep it flat for the pendant? Any tips or tricks would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!!

Penny
Old 2005-07-25, 5:23am
Satake Woman!

How bout from the beginning? I'm not sure how the implosion part works.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2005-07-25, 6:11am
You can call me Slater

Hi Jo,

If you go to Wet Canvas and type "Implosion beads" in search under forums, you will find several topics. Just not enough information to make the implosion bead into a pendant.

Penny
Old 2005-07-25, 8:08am
Stress Cracked

I have made a few implosion style marbles and have also thought about turning some into pendants. I haven't done it yet but I have an idea of how I might go about it. One way would be to add additional clear glass to the hot marble to make a pendant shape and form a loop of glass at the end. Another way would be to make a spacer bead and keep it warm on a hot plate. When the pendant is shaped, add the spacer bead to form the loop. I'll probably try the spacer bead method first.

Scott Young did a great tutorial that is posted on the WC forum (under the username of Jazzdog) and also on the gldg forum.

- Jim
In an Emergency.

Emily Dickinson
Old 2005-07-26, 4:10am
You can call me Slater

Thanks Jim for the response. I agree you have to add more glass (especially to the back), but my real problem is where to position the punties to stretch, pull, etc. the bead into a pendant shape.

Penny
Old 2005-07-26, 5:14am
boro color bender

I don't add any glass. I stop the implosion before it goes round and keep the back flat, by many small pushes on the marver while I'm working it. Then, it's just a matter of figuring where you want the top to be and puntying up to the bottom. Shape it and add the loop. Pretty easy when you get the hang of it. PPP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2005-07-26, 7:15am
You can call me Slater

Thanks Brent for your response!! If your stopping the implosion by small pushes on the marver, does this also spread the floral design out to the inside edges? Also, I do add a little bit of glass to the back to cover up what didn't implose.
Old 2005-08-01, 6:34am
Mary Lockwood

I don't make great implosions, but I practice it a lot. LOL

I just implode the design up into the rod and when it gets as far as I want it, I start to direct the heat to where the rod is attached to the disk (the top), instead of directing the heat to the decoration that is being melted up into the disk. (The bottom)

If you keep the imploded part cool, and pointing down, eventually the rod will melt and stretch with the implosion facing forward. You get a decent lens of clear of it this way too. I'm not sure if this is the right way to do it...but it works for me.

After your implosion is facing forward and your rod is coming out of the top of it, this is the part where I punty up to the absolute bottom of the pendant and form my loop at the top. Once the loop is right, I grab it with hot pliers, snap off the bottom punty and flame polish.

Sometimes I cover the back with a different color, but not usually. If I were going to do that, I would do it after getting the rod of clear to go to the top of the pendant, but before I punty up to the bottom. Usually I press the back of the pendant into some gold aventurine powder, then put a layer of black over that.

Once the initial rod of clear is formed into the disk, it doesn't ever touch a marver again, so I can't answer the last question.

Hope you have good luck!
~~Mary

Old 2005-08-03, 3:40pm
You can call me Slater

Great instructions Mary!! This helps me understand how to move the original maria/punty....................THANKS!!

Penny
Old 2009-06-27, 11:23am

Glass Obsessions (Yorba Linda, CA) has a wonderful teacher who teaches soft glass implosion pendants!

Old 2019-11-12, 4:21am

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegem
Re: Implosion beads
do my essay

Glass Obsessions (Yorba Linda, CA) has a wonderful teacher who teaches soft glass implosion pendants!

https://www.ocregister.com/2007/10/1...into-business/
Phyllis L’Hommedieu planned to be a computer scientist.

But her interest shifted when she took a stained glass class at Cal State Fullerton.

Unfortunately, she had to drop the class after one of her son’s suffered an accident and needed special care. Ten years ago she took an online glass class and began attending a conference in Las Vegas.

“I just thought it was really fascinating; I was hooked,” said L’Hommedieu about learning to make art pieces out of melting glass. “I started playing with glass, melting it and I never looked back.”

L’Hommedieu, of Placentia, and her son, Kevin Bellwood, co-partnered to open Glass Obsessions three years ago in Yorba Linda.

At Glass Obsessions customers can buy gifts from the artists’ gallery, take a class to learn how to make glass pieces or buy supplies to make their own if they already know how to work with glass.

Glass Obsessions offers a variety of glasses such as frit, sheet, diachronic, color bars, stringer and rod glass.

Hi Patti,

Are they still having this business in Yorba Linda? I have contacted Kevin Bellwood, but have not recieved any reply so far. I know that Kevin launched this business with his mother, but their webiste is currently not working. Any updates? Perhaps, they have been closed or something. Thanks.