LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-11-09, 1:47pm

Default Does anyone have an idea how to make a detaild drawing and then etch?

I want to make a detailed drawing on a glass bead. Then I want to etch the bead. Does anyone have an idea how I can make the detailed drawing the best? I have already tried to use nail polish, wood glue and a special gel but the problem is with all these resources that I do not have clean lines. Fountain pen, Satay sticks, very thin tassels, I've tried everything but nothing is tight and no frayed ends. The dearest I would like to have a thin tip pen with which I can make the drawing. Permanent marker I tried but that eats away the etch.
Who knows how I can fix this?

Regards,
Marise den Hartog
Old 2013-11-09, 1:55pm
Loving learning

Do you have Sharpie markers there? I have used them, but not for fine lines. Maybe etch for a shorter time ?
Old 2013-11-09, 1:56pm

Use fine line automotive tape or airbrush frisket film or liquid and then sandblast.
Old 2013-11-09, 2:22pm

@Eileen, Thanks for answering my question. Yes, we do have sharpie markers overhere. The marker that you have used, was that a regular permanent marker?
Did you use a thick sharpie marker? And after using the marker you could etch the bead without disapearing the marker?
Old 2013-11-09, 2:49pm
Loving learning

I did it on a piece of dichroic glass before fusing, so maybe it took a shorter time to etch off the dichroic finish that to etch glass? I did not think of that.
But yes, used a Sharpie Permanent Marker to protect the finish. It was also a medium width marker, so maybe that made a difference in keeping the marker on there long enough too.
There is also a stamp pad ink that I have used to etch metal and keep a design, but I can't remember the name of it right away. I'm not sure if you can buy the ink refills and use those with a brush or ink applier or not.
It MIGHT be this, but I am not sure, would have to find mine to see. Also, I have never used it on glass, just metal:
http://www.amazon.com/Tsukineko-Flui...ef=pd_sim_ac_3
Old 2013-11-13, 8:32pm
Glass-aholic

Any plastic based paint (acrylic) should work fine. I use a toothpick to get the fine details. Might have to play with consistency to get fine lines in some paints, and the drying time is significant. I prefer puff paint. Like craft fabric paints. Bright colors I can see, and they go on and come off beautifully. The fabric paint is a little thicker and more plastic-y than the craft or artist acrylic, so I see better coverage, less streking. And I don't have to worry about thin spots as much. But toothpick or needle to apply is the best option for the thin ness

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.: