Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-10-22, 8:34am

lynne,

What is the number of the light brown transparent you used to create those beautiful beads.
Old 2008-10-22, 10:25am
I know, I can't spell

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinesbeads View Post
Hello,
I have been playing around with this effect. I can get some blues when i put it over cobalt but its really really dark, mine don't look all pretty and whispy like everyone elses. I was wondering if you need a kiln to get this effect? All I have is a hothead and some fiber blankets.
Thanks Caroline
You don't need a kiln I was making them once before I had a kiln to garage in.

As I understand it if the end where you pulled the stringer has an oil-slick look to it your stringer will work.

The best base I have found is Red Copper Green...

I hope to play more with the colors

Soon new stuff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-10-22, 11:20pm
sorcerer

these are all 104 glass not a difficult effect to achieve.
Bernard
Attached Images

Old 2008-10-23, 4:38am

Done on a hothead and then put under a fibre blanket.. Effetre straw yellow base and some kind of lavender Effetre clear..
Attached Images

Old 2008-10-23, 1:23pm
Isinglass Design

So much info here, and such beautiful beads. I'll have to try some of these ideas tomorrow!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Laurie
Old 2008-10-24, 7:40pm
I know, I can't spell

Here are some of mine I just love it.

first one from left has a base of CIM Dusk, the Colbalt transparent then it is Red Copper Green for the last 4.
Attached Images

Soon new stuff
Old 2008-10-26, 8:08pm

Hi everybody wow everybody beads look really nice..so I'm kinda ashamed to even post mine but I'm a firm believer on learning from my mistakes..so please help with any suggestions...the top pic I pulled a stringer from light brown and rolled it in iris gold frit on a base of light transparent lavender I think I encased it..then the next one I did on a Carnelian base but are you guys striking the base first before adding the stringer? the last two really did'nt come out at all..
Then the bottom I did a transparentand rooled in raku 00 but those really did'nt come out either..can somebody help me...please...

Thank you
Scrappy

Old 2008-10-27, 9:08am
Heal with Steel

I made these with Cim Light Lapis and Iris Yellow. I'm not very good at photography because they look better in person.

Old 2008-12-13, 1:48pm

Does the Kugler Iris Gold work the same as the Reichenbach Iris gold for this technique?

Thanks Becky
Old 2008-12-15, 2:24pm

Scrappy:
You need to melt a small blob on the end of a rod of straw yellow or tran light brown, dip it in the frit, melt it in, re-dip and remelt a couple more times. Now pull it into stringer. Apply to whatever base color you choose and encase.

Kay
Old 2008-12-15, 8:25pm
Noobie

I wonder if gaffer iris gold will work?
Old 2008-12-18, 5:58pm
I'm a lilac!

All of the iris golds work pretty well.

Old 2008-12-19, 9:05pm
Uh-oh means it's too late

I just found this thread after trying for months to identify a "mistake" I did and got some cool colors like those! Okay one quick question cuz I love BE glass. Kalera- are you using the 96 glass with the BE? I didn't think you could? Or is it one of the Lustre colors? Thank you in advance I just don't want to waste precious glass!!!!!

Old 2008-12-20, 7:36am

You can use the "96" iris colors with "96" amber and other "96" colors for maximum compatibility.

I've doen some with BE that are good 2 years later, and some that cracked after almost a year. If you're going to use it with BE, garage at 970 and use a really slow ramp down.

I have not gotten it to work with the luster colors.
Old 2008-12-20, 7:50am

One of my favorite 'repeatable' effects of this sort

and also ......
Old 2008-12-20, 8:31am
Uh-oh means it's too late

Thanks Lynda!! I got some really "boro" like colors very similar to the beads just posted by lazycat. I was using BE colors and silver foil. I have no idea what I slapped on there but it looks very cool. I will try and post pics soon. Lazycat are those 104 or the BE I was asking about? Anyway I love that color combo!!!

Old 2008-12-24, 12:33pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDoorBeads View Post
I just found this thread after trying for months to identify a "mistake" I did and got some cool colors like those! Okay one quick question cuz I love BE glass. Kalera- are you using the 96 glass with the BE? I didn't think you could? Or is it one of the Lustre colors? Thank you in advance I just don't want to waste precious glass!!!!!
If you make a stringer using a single layer of one of the iris frit colors (most of the furnace colors are actually 91-94, not 96 COE) over a gather of Bullseye, then lay that stringer over Bullseye and encase it with Bullseye, you should not have any problems... that's what I do if I want to use a BE base color such as one of the avventurines, been doing it for 6-7 years with no issues.

Old 2008-12-30, 3:43am
Linda Linda Honey, lookit

Quote:
Originally Posted by effemess View Post
Done on a hothead and then put under a fibre blanket.. Effetre straw yellow base and some kind of lavender Effetre clear..

Where had THIS thread been hiding! Gorgeous beads from everyone! I am going to try this the first chance I get.

And I was glad to see that it can be done on a Hot Head!

Old 2009-09-26, 1:22pm

UHHHH...other than boro being hard, and Moretti being soft, what is the difference? How do the beads look different? Does anyone have pics of each showing how they differ? Thanks!
Old 2009-09-28, 3:32am
Noobie

If you go through the entire thread you will see some awesome examples..I think someone even posted some real boro pics compared to faux boro...I love your jewelry in your etsy!
Old 2009-10-09, 4:53pm

Talking Making moretti like boro

Hi All fellow creative geniuses...
I am facinated with this thread and had to buy the light brown trans to play with. I have been getting some pretty good results trying all your collective techniques. What fun I am having with all the possibilities. My questions is.. if you started with a base trans bead color that reacts, could you apply the iris orange frit on top of base and cover with the light trans brown or straw yellow and acheive a similar boro affect? (its nice to have opptions...lol. thanks all...off to torch to play some more, I have been up all night and it is 8 pm. , still playing...on a roll.
Old 2009-10-19, 3:36pm

Talking question

UH OOOOO,,, I guessed I scared yall off. LOL
Old 2009-10-19, 4:26pm

LOL! Maybe it was the lack of sleep. ;-D

I think this thread has languished because so many people are now using the silvered 104 colors, and they look so much like boro that you don't have to work so hard at it anymore.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2009-10-23, 10:58am

Default method

Hi all, I am getting torch time today....so I am going to try it to c. I will post results
Old 2009-11-25, 1:44am
I speak Murrini!

Hi All...

I've got a couple questions for ya! First off, do you see the pinks/purples while you are working at the torch? Or do these colors show after annealing and letting the bead cool?

I tried this technique for the first time tonight. I used Transparent Lt. Brown 018 and rolled a gather several times in Iris Gold Powder (don't have frit ). Pulled a nice stringer and applied it to Striking Red. I did see SOMETHING going on in there - I could see blues and maybe some greens and yellows. I REALLY WANT THE PINKS AND PURPLES! All are in the kiln at the moment...did a couple variations on beads to see how they turned out: one is done like the "Storm" Beads, with dots of the stringer over Striking Red, Over Ivory Dots; one is just Striking Red with the prepared stringer and encased; one is stringer over a base of Lt. Ivory and encased in clear - but it looks mostly brown

Really wondering about whether you can see the Pinks/Purples develop while at the torch though.

Thanks!
De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-11-25, 9:58am
Megan's personal Sherpa

Double Helix "Ekho" is the epitome of boro effects in soft glass for me. I can get gold, pink, purple, blue, and even electric green when encased.

Flinging flaming frit at friends for fun!

Deb
Old 2009-11-25, 10:17am
Harold Williams Cooney

perhaps this was answered in the previous 207 posts somewhere, but why not just work boro?

American Trade Bead Food Program; Necklace auctions
, entertainment that improves Colorado.
Old 2009-11-25, 10:29am

It doesn't develop during annealing. You can see the colors if you let it cool enough in your hand, but it might give you a thermal crack or two

Reds and purples are really hard with these techniques.
Old 2009-11-25, 10:35am

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWCGlass View Post
perhaps this was answered in the previous 207 posts somewhere, but why not just work boro?
because it's fun to see what you can convince glass to do, plus you might not have the torch set up for boro. And you might already have the glass for this.
Old 2009-11-25, 10:37am
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWCGlass View Post
Silly - I'm on a Hot Head! Not conducive to Boro work, ya know!

Besides, I'm a rebel! My family would rather me make "Mock" Apple Pie (it uses NO apples - only Ritz Crackers, lemon juice, Cream of Tarter, cinnamon, etc.) for one of our Thanksgiving Day deserts that a REAL Apple Pie!

So I guess there's much fun and a keen sense of rebellion in taking one thing and making it look like another - even if it is a bit more work! Sorta like spooky science to me, I guess!

De

ETA: LTMGS, we posted at the same time! Thanks for the input on when you see the colors! I put mine directly in the kiln since plenty of cracked beads has taught me some patience. I was rewarded somewhat this a.m.; just took them out - and ooooo, I DID get some hot pink/purple colors in the "dots" bead I made. Will show pics in a bit. ~De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro

Last edited by theglasszone; 2009-11-25 at 10:40am.