No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-08-18, 5:05am
where is that UPS man?

Unhappy has this happened to you???

I had a customer e-mail this am and told me she received my beads but that 1 bead was busted. The way she described it there were glass shards everywhere and she cut her finger. The box and package in perfect condition. The rest of set fine. The bead was a crystal shape, 1 glass used. No mixing. I find this highly unlikely????? Basically she accused me of sending her a broken bead, which of course I would never do. I sent her out another set first thing.
Has this ever happened to anybody else.??/
I did ask for the bead back, so I can inspect it.
Help would be great.
Sincerely,
Deb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Deb
SERIOUS GLASS HO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-08-18, 5:37am

Before I started lampworking I purchase a set. When I opened the box one of the beads was broken. I had the ability to take a photo so I could show the seller. They replaced the bead that broke. Personally I don't see anything wrong with asking them to return the damaged set, at the very least the one that broke.
Old 2007-08-18, 9:28am
maybe tomorrow

I've been fortunate, and never had a situation like this, but if I did, and the customer couldn't take a picture for me, I'd pay for the return postage. If a bead was broken, I'd want to try to determine why it happened so it wouldn't happen again.

Hopefully, you'll either save a customer, or know not to deal with her again.

Old 2007-08-18, 11:26am

I'd agree I'll happily refund or exchange but I want the problem item or set back first. The vast majority of people are totally genuine and honest but you do unfortunately get the odd one who tries it on. Especially if your replacing a single busted bead for a whole new set? a generous response and most likely my own response to such a situation but keep records if it happens again to the same customer, as I'm sure some people wouldn't have a problem smashing up a single bead to return it and to get a free set! I'd also need to really look into whats happened! was it the glass? the press? have all previous beads like it been ok? was the packaging an issue? do the other beads have marks on them? could there even be tiny microscopic cracks or damage? I think I would want the whole set back, especially if it was made all together in one sitting! one kiln load etc!

Old 2007-08-18, 12:05pm
where is that UPS man?

Ellie,
I didnt think about asking for the whole set back, God I hope no other ones break. This was opaque glass. How do you check for microscopic cracks on opaque glass? With transparents I can look. But you did give me a lot to think about. I went out and got more padding for my boxes. I ship in jewelry boxes, padding on bottom but not top. I put box in padded envelope. Thought I was being good with packing. You never know.
Thank you
Deb

Deb
SERIOUS GLASS HO

Old 2007-08-18, 12:49pm
novembersfyre everywhere

I ship the same way you do. However, I do put an extra layer of padding on top of the beads in the box. I either use bubble wrap or that thin foam sheet.

I make sure that the extra top padding totally and tightly fills the box so that the beads can't move - they are trapped between the top and bottom layers of the padding. I tape the jewelry box shut so there is no chance that the lid can come off.

I have had zero breakage using this method.

I think the solution you offered to your customer is fair. What color of glass were you using?

Old 2007-08-18, 2:32pm
where is that UPS man?

I used reichenbach, it was their tan that reduces to blues/tan. I don't know exact name. But have never had problems with it. Allthough this is first time I have used it with crystal press. I did go out and get bubble wrap for top layer. I hope I never have this again. BAAADD feeling!!!!!!
Deb

Deb
SERIOUS GLASS HO

Old 2007-08-18, 8:45pm
Burn baby, burn

Default newbie question/check for breakage

Isn't there some kind of feezer test you can do on your beads? Something about leaving them in the freezer for 24 hours, and then taking them out? Please, someone correct me if I have this wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by debsglass View Post
God I hope no other ones break. This was opaque glass. How do you check for microscopic cracks on opaque glass?
Old 2007-08-18, 9:07pm
Spare Time Designs

Yep..this has happened to me..twice. I asked for the bead back or a photo of the bead before I replaced it or gave the money back for it. I do guarantee my work...but you never know with some people, so I asked for a photo or the bead returned first. I don't see how the bead could have busted into a million pieces...how can that happen? Usually it would just split in two. Anyhow, good luck with it all Happy beading...Anne
Old 2007-08-18, 10:18pm

This particular instance sounds a little like a phony claim to me. The fact that it was busted into a million pieces... this seems like the person doesn't really know much about lampwork beads- just that "glass shatters" so they went with that. Also, the claim of the cut finger. Sounds like a veiled threat to me. Like it was inserted into the story as a little "Hey, I could be an ass and sue you, but all I want is a new set" kind of thing.
Maybe I'm a cynic, but I happen to stay in sometimes-contact with a childhood friend who is now a scam artist. The stuff that I've heard come out of her mouth is pretty scary! Of course, I'd have ponied up a new set as well, since you can't prove anything, and I'm a notorious pushover.
Old 2007-08-18, 10:20pm

I must admit the comment made that "it busted into a million pieces" is partly whats bugging me and kinda hanging out warning signs! The only time a bead has broken like that on me was when it got stuck in the press and cooled so much by the time I got it out the damn thing shattered due to thermal shock, I'm talking frit everywhere! Usually its a single break, especially so with press beads. The freezer trick would and does work, maybe your customer should put the rest in the freezer to check them you don't want her back in a few weeks if another breaks!
Now remember its not anything you've done so don't let it upset you, sometimes its one of those things so don't worry so much over one breakage! it could be the glass used, the kiln playing up, any number of things, obviously if you can determine what caused it you'll rest easier and not worry! I hang onto my beads for a week or so before putting them onto the website just to make sure no problems will arise, but usually if it survived attack by a diamond reamer in a dremel then its not gonna break on me!
Hugs

Old 2007-08-18, 10:20pm

LOL pink lilly great minds think alike LOL

Old 2007-08-19, 6:04am

Um, I dremel my beads *before* they get annealed (usually) 'cause I send 'em out to Nikki to batch anneal 'em, they're just stuck in a pot of vermiculite (used to be a fiber blankie before I lost it in moving ) & then they go USPS, sometimes just stuck in a pill bottle with *no* packing before they're annealled (hey, i weed out the bad structure early!!), then she "cooks" 'em, & sends them back to me--the ones I've had break do exactly what others have said--snap down the middle, have a piece "pop off" if it's not securely attached (dots, outer wraps, appendages), or just fall into two or three pieces at the mandrel hole when I'm taking them off--I've never had a "shatter in a million pieces" bead--well, except the one I whacked with a hammer to get it off the mandrel----sounds like a scam to me!! I'd ask for a photo of that bead, or the bead back, or both!! (actually, I'd ask for the WHOLE "defective" SET back, saying it must be a bad-glass batch, possible "glass compatability" issues, & you wouldn't want to have it loose in the world!! Offer $5 priority postage of course, to cover the shipping, to be paid upon reciept of the package/beads. Expect to pay it--and expect that she'll use "first class" & they'll come in the cheapest envelope she can get )
Color me cynical....
~luna
Who *has* let a seller know about a cracked bead *twice*--both times with photos--I've asked for a replacement only *one* of those times....because one time it was a single focal bead I purchased!

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2007-08-19, 10:22am
novembersfyre everywhere

I do agree with everyone else that the description of the way the bead is broken sounds off.

Usually if you don't get enough heat back into a pressed bead they break right down the mandrel line. The only way a bead would shatter into a bunch of pieces sharp enough to cut someone would be is someone hit it with something like a hammer.

Ask her about the package again - was it really in perfect shape? I really would want to see that bead. I would want to know if something odd was happening with that particular glass.

Old 2007-08-19, 10:37am

I'd just nicely ask for the bead back so I could examine it to see if I could figure out what happened.

I've got way cool handmade bags for sale in the Garage Sale area for a buck each!
Old 2007-08-19, 11:34am
Entropy increasing....

What? You put a smashed into a million pieces bead into the box with the good ones?

Why would anyone do such a thing? Ask for a picture or for the single bead returned and then replace IT.
Old 2007-08-19, 1:42pm

be sure to post some pics when you get "The Bead Of DOOM!" back!
you've really got me curious now!

Old 2007-08-20, 4:40pm

Did you sell these beads on eBay? If so, did the buyer have good feedback? Lots of good feedback? Any bad feedback? I haven't heard of a bead breaking in a million pieces either.
Old 2007-08-21, 1:29am

I've heard of that! Some folks in the UK got together and bought a "lot" of orphans. It got opened by customs, and more than one was smashed, really smashed. The theory was that they were checking that they were really beads, and hadn't been "stuffed" with something!

Old 2007-08-21, 4:08am
BeadsonCypress

I have to add my 2 cents. I was in an exchange last year and two of the beads shipped to me were in a "thousand" pieces. It was soft glass, maybe it wasn't annealled and the host did not know it. I am sure the hostess didn't ship out a thousand little pieces! So these things happen....I would also ask for the set back...my personal experience say if one in the batch has a problem, they will all, most probably, have a problem.
Old 2007-08-21, 5:02am
Artistically Absorbed

I have had one bead, when I was really new to lampworking...shatter at the torch. It was pretty scary!!! I had let it get too cold and reintroduced it into the flame. I imagine if it had gone into the kiln at that point it probably would have cracked eventually. As for getting cut, well maybe I'm just thin skinned, but it seems like I get cut everytime I get a package of glass rods, just from the small shards (almost powder like) from the glass shifting during shipment. I am used to all the glass cuts from working with the glass, but someone who doesn't work with it might be quite alarmed. I would raise a brow if she made it out like she almost bled to death or something as most cuts are tiny and heal quickly. Someone mentioned before the freezer test...I haven't sold any of my beads on e-bay yet, just locally. Does that test work?
-Echo

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2007-08-21, 6:32am
Life is change. Love it

I have had at least one Reichenbach colour (champagne) that did not play nicely with other Reich colours, and all the beads in that set developed a myriad of incompatability cracks. I bet if I dropped one or gave it a sharp tap it would break into a lot of small pieces.

Old 2007-08-21, 7:10am

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeMary View Post
I've heard of that! Some folks in the UK got together and bought a "lot" of orphans. It got opened by customs, and more than one was smashed, really smashed. The theory was that they were checking that they were really beads, and hadn't been "stuffed" with something!
Geeze. You'd think they'd just
a) xray them
b) dremel out some AH/chinese import beads & run a chemical test on them to *prove* what they're LINED with in every *freakin'* hole isn't DRUGS in a paste/powder
c) put a NOTE in that says your "package has been inspected" (hey, we get them in the US when they rip our mail--of course the mail is hysterically destroyed, & usually totally unreadable--the "note" says "sometimes our machinery has a minor malfunction" rofl..or something like that & makes an apology....it's often junk mail, which makes it even funnier!

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2007-08-21, 9:56am
Trying to Hope!

monarae made a bead in a crystal press with kronos and something else this weekend and it exploded I mean exploded right on the mandrel just poof in a million peices I wonder if the press and certain glasses dont agree? Might be it causes stress in too many peices? Her bead was still red when it happened I dunno just a thought

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

NEW Ebay Items all the time here

I buy Gold PM me for details
NEW Handmade jewelry on Etsy
Old 2007-08-21, 11:19am
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendyki View Post
monarae made a bead in a crystal press with kronos and something else this weekend and it exploded I mean exploded right on the mandrel just poof in a million peices I wonder if the press and certain glasses dont agree? Might be it causes stress in too many peices? Her bead was still red when it happened I dunno just a thought
I have had this happen when pressing a bead. It usually happens when you leave it in the press too long, all of the heat is sucked out of it and you don't get it back in the flame quick enough. This hasn't happened to me in a long time. I have learned to not do this

However, it doesn't happen after you have annealed it, cleaned it and packed it in a box.

Old 2007-08-21, 12:22pm

I have had one person request a new bead when it arrived broken (not in a million pieces). After that, I started wrapping each bead in plastic wrap so if it does break, at least it wont be loose shards in the jewelry box that I pack it in. So, basically, I wrap the bead in plastic, then put it in a little plastic zip-top bag, then in a box wrapped in bubble wrap and put into a bubble wrap mailer envelope. Overkill? Probably. But, I would rather be safe than sorry when dealing with a customer. I haven't had any more problems since then.
Old 2007-08-22, 9:57am

have you got it back yet? I'd love to see pic's once its back with you, maybe we can sort this one out then!

Old 2020-05-08, 10:08pm
Pincel de Fuego

I just dug up this thread while looking for something completely different, but um... was the bead ever recovered? don't leave me hanging hahaha

/
/