LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-02-24, 2:42am

Question Step-by-Step turning on my Nortel/Oxycon for the first time...

Ok, I am ready to go! I have my Nortel connected using a regulator and a flashback arrestor as well as my borrowed EX-15 Extreme Oxycon. My question is, Now What?

What do I do first and what settings do I use to run my torch?

I am sorry for being such a newbie but I want to make sure I do everything before I turn it on.... AND I AM ABOUT TO DIE FROM ANTICIPATION!
Old 2013-02-24, 2:53am
Melody of Glass

Oxycon on for 15 min or so flowing through the open oxygen valve on the torch to warm up. No gas or flame. Close the oxy valve on the torch (leave the oxycon on). With the gas valve on the torch closed, turn on your gas at the main valve. Light a match. Turn on the gas a bit at the torch. Light with the match. Put the match out (bucket of water near the torch collects mine). Put the matches away somewhere far from the torch. Turn the gas up a bit at the torch, slowly turn on the oxy at the torch, adjust the two together to get a neutral flame and melt away!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-02-24, 3:07am

Wow, perfect. Thank you! Isnt there a "poop" process to follow too?
Old 2013-02-24, 5:15am

Poop is less important with an oxycon. Your torch will make a little pop if you turn your propane off before your oxygen. But I do it all the time with no pop.

I have my propane regulator set at 5 and my oxycon at 80%, so 4 if it is a 5lpm machine.

Last edited by echeveria; 2013-02-24 at 5:25am.
Old 2013-02-24, 5:21am
Melody of Glass

There is. Propane, oxygen (turning on) oxygen, propane (turning off).

I use natural gas and it doesn't have the same ring to the acronym. . With the oxycon, it's a bit different.

To turn off, I turn down the gas a bit at the torch (so it doesn't blow itself out in the next step), turn off oxy at the torch, turn off gas at the main valve, let the gas burn out of the lines, turn off gas at the torch, turn on oxy at the torch again, turn off the oxycon and leave it like that. No pressure in the lines and double protection from a gas leak. If you use tanked oxy, this may be different.

Have fun!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by caliente; 2013-02-24 at 5:23am.
Old 2013-02-24, 5:25am
Melody of Glass

I agree with Kathy on the 80% oxycon setting. No regulator for the NG as its already low pressure coming in so I can't help there.

Coming soon...

Old 2013-02-24, 6:02am

Actually, now that I think of it, my M15 has a sticker on it that says not to run it past 8, and I keep it at 7
Old 2013-02-24, 8:41am
Loving learning

I do my minor similarly to Melody.

I turn on the oxycon machine (with torch valve open) a bit before I'm ready to light up.
When ready to light, I double check the torch propane valve has been closed.
Turn on my exhaust fan.
Go outside & open the propane tank valve, then regulator valve.
Come inside and turn oxygen off at torch, then turn on propane slightly, and light the propane, turn back on oxy valve and adjust both.
When finished, I just go out & turn off my tank valve, then after the flame has burned out, I turn off the torch valve, and go back outside & turn off the regulator valve.
I run my oxy a few minutes to cool the torch head a bit so I can clean it (I don't remember to do it every time, but try to do it fairly often).
Turn off oxycon, leaving torch valve open. The only time I turn that valve is to light the torch.

One more note, don't turn the valves off so tightly that you wear out the fittings, and don't get a good seal. Just snug them up is what I was told, but not so hard it's a strain.

Oh, and have you done the soapy water check at the fittings to make sure your hoses are on tight?

POOP is if you're on tanked oxygen, but you don't have to worry about the "OP" part with the oxycon.