Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2013-02-14, 7:09am

Question Oxygen question...

i know this may sound idiotic, but is it possible to run a Nortel minor without the use of Oxygen?
Old 2013-02-14, 7:10am
I fart diamonds

No. Well, you'll have a flame, but you won't be able to do anything with it except start fires.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-02-14, 7:34am

In addition, I was told from Nortel that just trying to run one fuel will ruin the tips.

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-02-14, 7:39am
I like fire....

its hard on a dual source torch to run only fuel. if you look at a standard welding set up. fuel alone will produce a nasty black smoke. and not get hot enough to do much.. I would think this would be much the same except the nasty black smoke would be gone.
Old 2013-02-14, 8:03am
Gentleman of Leisure

Flame chemistry requires a fuel and a oxidizer for proper flame ...

With out a proper oxidizer you have a burning gas leak.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2013-02-14, 10:42am

Oxygen makes the world go round and melts your glass. Propane/NG is required but is far less expensive than Oxygen.
I have not read a single post about how expensive gas is in this hobby. But everyday people complain about how expensive it is for their car while the oxygen required is free.
A bottle of propane can last a month while a bottle of Oxy doesn't last a week. My point it that it is all relative, we all accept the small costs and look for ways to cut the larger costs. OxyCons, HomeFill and LOX are all solutions to the expensive of tank exchanges...

Oxygen is life!

Old 2013-02-14, 12:24pm

Dual Fuel is a total Misnomer. As Dale said it is always a single Fuel, Propane, NG, or Hydrogen, and an Oxidizer, Oxygen. If you have no source of Oxygen available your only choice is a Hot Head Torch.
Old 2013-02-14, 1:49pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
Dual Fuel is a total Misnomer. As Dale said it is always a single Fuel, Propane, NG, or Hydrogen, and an Oxidizer, Oxygen. If you have no source of Oxygen available your only choice is a Hot Head Torch.
I, too, cringe at the term 'dual fuel'. I prefer the expression 'Oxy/Fuel' torch.

The air around us is about 21% oxygen. Without this oxygen, a Hot Head couldn't work (nor could we! ).

Every torch is designed to run with a specific oxygen source:

* Ambient air, such as the Hot Head

* Compressed Air, such as the Japanese torches

* Compressed Oxygen, such as the Minor burner mentioned by the OP.

You can not substitute one oxygen source for another, and have the torch work properly.

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2013-02-14, 2:56pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtcoInc View Post
I, too, cringe at the term 'dual fuel'. I prefer the expression 'Oxy/Fuel' torch.

The air around us is about 21% oxygen. Without this oxygen, a Hot Head couldn't work (nor could we! ).

Every torch is designed to run with a specific oxygen source:

* Ambient air, such as the Hot Head

* Compressed Air, such as the Japanese torches

* Compressed Oxygen, such as the Minor burner mentioned by the OP.

You can not substitute one oxygen source for another, and have the torch work properly.

Malcolm
Forgot about the compressed air japanese torches. Thanks, Malcolm
Old 2013-02-16, 7:53am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
You mean somebody actually listened to me!!!

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal