Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2005-10-14, 4:36pm
odd lot addict

Default Can I hook up to our Natural Gas Well?

We have a natural gas well on our property. It goes from our well to our house. I've been wondering if I can run my bobcat on it. I can't really find anything about natural gas wells on an individuals property, only the kind that supply entire towns with NG. Does anyone know if I can do this? Would it be "clean" enough to use?

Thanks!
Jen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-10-15, 6:01am
Safety ALWAYS

A couple of points:

You can hook the Bobcat up to the household line, but keep in mind it's fairly low pressure, about 1/3 PSI - the Bobcat will work, but at reduced heat. The hookup should be done by a plumber who knows fuel gas plumbing. It's a fairly simple process but because fuel gas is involved, its best to have a professional do it.

Where the gas is coming into your house is a regulator, this reduces the line pressure from the well head to 1/3 PSI (or thereabouts).

What can also be done would be to TEE off the main line from the well head and add a 2nd line coming into the house regulated to 5 PSI, which would run the Bobcat at full heat. Since the well is on your property, you can easily have this done, but again by a professional who knows what he is doing.

The well itself is probably incredibly high pressure, I've seen reports that these wells run 1000 PSI or better. The well head has built-in regulators and pressure devices - I'd advise NOT tampering with anything on that, but to work on the line going to your house. It's probably running at 5 or 10 PSI, which is typical for household supply lines, but it would be good to check with the Natural Gas company that is operating the well for you. They can advise you on what can be accomplished.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2005-10-15, 6:45am
odd lot addict

Thanks Mike! Don't worry, had no plans to start messing with it myself.