Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2008-12-03, 8:43am
SSDD... go ahead, ask me!

Flowers, hearts, pendants, bottle stoppers, marbles, swizzle sticks.... oh my! Such beauty really gets me inspired to think outside the box. I need to post my boro here sometime. I've got a few pendants I've made which I am so proud of. I'll take a pic tomorrow. Great work everyone!
Old 2008-12-03, 11:36am

Thanks, Barbara.
"Those are so neat! I can also see this with multi colored frit insite the tubing. Is this your unique design?" I wouldn't ever claim anything anyone makes as an original design. That would probably develop a whole thread by itself if you know what I mean. Let me just say, I haven't seen this ever before.
The idea with colored frit is cool and would make for a great art piece but the value of the product would certainly intensify. I get a nice return on my time and $ with using salt or coffee and btw, pulled stringer also.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-12-03, 2:21pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAG View Post
Thanks, Barbara.
"Those are so neat! I can also see this with multi colored frit insite the tubing. Is this your unique design?" I wouldn't ever claim anything anyone makes as an original design. That would probably develop a whole thread by itself if you know what I mean. Let me just say, I haven't seen this ever before.
The idea with colored frit is cool and would make for a great art piece but the value of the product would certainly intensify. I get a nice return on my time and $ with using salt or coffee and btw, pulled stringer also.
I would think that the actual materials cost would only increase a few cents at most. It's only a few pieces of frit that you're using...

Old 2008-12-03, 2:23pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary K View Post
Hey Chad,
I have never Fumed. I have good ventilation, so...how do you fume?
Pick up a piece of silver or gold on the end of a rod. Put it in the flame, and the piece you want to fume past it in the flame. So it goes torch > rod with fuming metal > piece to be fumed.

For silver, use a reducing flame. For gold, use a very hot neutral to oxidizing flame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elegance_1 View Post

Cosmo, your marbles are always outstanding. Someday maybe I'll run into you and be able to see one close up and personal. I also LOVE this vase! How tall is it? The colors are so very soothing and I like the artsy design on the base....
I don't have it in front of me, but I'm going to estimate around 6-7 inches tall. We're working on some reed diffusers, and that's the prototype.

Plus, I'm still working out of a Chili Pepper kiln, so that's the tallest I can make and still have it stand up in the kiln.

Old 2008-12-03, 7:53pm

Kay, I love the swizzle sticks!

Here's my favorite set of beads I've made in awhile. It's Irrid and something, lol. I think I wrapped Irrid with a little bit of Blue Passion and encased, but I can't remember for sure.

and this is a pendant that I made using one of Chris's focals

Old 2008-12-03, 8:19pm
Pyromaniac

WOW Sonya! Gorgeous color there.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2008-12-03, 8:54pm

Sonya, your blues are very pretty and I love Chris's focal. I love what you did with it. LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!!!
I gotta take a boro class. Right now I'm a soft glass gal.

Old 2008-12-03, 9:10pm
Mandrel Slayer

Absolutely gorgeous colors Sonya.

Nothing right now

What happens in Rockland, stays in Rockland.....
Hellcat, Two M-15s, propane and finally no tanked oxy.
Old 2008-12-03, 10:13pm

Thanks for the compliments!

Patti, I was a soft glass gal too before I took my boro class with Lauri Copeland. I still love soft glass, but boro is addictive!

Old 2008-12-04, 12:09am
glass-a-delic

Thanks peeps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary K View Post
What colors are you using for the top pendants? I love the ghostly quality
that they have.
In the first one I used NS Mystery Aventurine, i really like how this turned out, its very sparkly, in the second one i used Alaskan Thunder and the next two are Dark Blue A/P and Silver Creek.

Thanks for the tips Cosmo, and btw, Im a He

Old 2008-12-04, 12:43am

Wow! What a fantastic gallery this month!!!

My Non-Glass Sites:

Old 2008-12-04, 11:41am
yukue fumei

WOW! Sonya! You've done it again--gorgeous gorgeous!!

nagi

Old 2008-12-04, 6:27pm

and this is a pendant that I made using one of Chris's focals

Gulp!! Covet!!

Old 2008-12-05, 10:10am

Default my school colors!

I hardly ever make sets.... so I am showing these off just because it was such a challenge for me to make one after another.....
Attached Images

Old 2008-12-05, 2:08pm
Does that shed?

Default Getting brave

Well after being peer pressured into trying boro, lol, I have decided that I am in love with the stuff. So I bravely put forth my first peices. Mr. Smiley's hearts I have been drooling over for the past year and I thank him for his written tut I found earlier this morning. I think I'm slowly gettin it. lol

And my favorite

So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!
Old 2008-12-05, 5:59pm
Pyromaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
I don't know what color she is using, but you can get a similar result using NS Extra Light yellow as your "petal", then putting another color right on top of it.

You can also get similar effects fuming silver first, laying down clear, then laying down color.
Chad, do you mean lines of ELY then add a line of another color right on top of the yellow? I'm a little dense today, decongestants are making me stupider.

Old 2008-12-05, 6:01pm
Hummel factory reject

It's nice to see such a diverse representation of boro work! Anzie your smiley style hearts are well done congrat's on your boro adventure. Here is one of my blown, hollow sea urchin beads that I have cored and capped and a simple little rusty flower. Thanks for the show!
Attached Images

Old 2008-12-05, 6:47pm
yukue fumei

Kay-WOWWOW!!! The colors on the set are poppin! Gorgeous as always!!

Anzie-those are your first boro works? OMG! WOW! Beautifully done! I love the water droplets!

kiko--Lori-your work is always amazing! I love your work so much!! The urchin is cool and the flower is wow wow!! The color and presentation are always flawless....

nagi

Old 2008-12-05, 6:54pm
product of the universe

Stuff that has been impaled. The head is made from hand mixed color rods. The tendrils on the eye are veiled cane.The iris and pupil are a milli.
Attached Images

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2008-12-05, 8:33pm
Pyromaniac

Chris, very gruesome and realistic, wow.
Anzie I like the drips on those pieces, you are making them your own.
Voic those pendant colors are otherworldly. Really Lovely.
Kay, I can barely make 2 beads the same so your set amazed me.
Lori, lovely flower, I know how hard it is to get those petals on, mine keep breaking off!

Old 2008-12-06, 7:14am
yukue fumei

Chris-
the eye is amazing! Are these studies or parts for a larger piece? Very cool!

nagi

Old 2008-12-06, 7:34am

My last post looks like I made the pendant.. Sonya did that one, I was complimenting it. Should have done the "quote" thing.. Sorry Sonya, didn't mean to steal your thunder...

Old 2008-12-06, 10:58am

No worries Kay! I love the blue & gold color combo in your set.

And Lori, that urchin is really cool!

Old 2008-12-06, 4:59pm

WOW...everything is so beautiful. LOVE the blues and purples and pinks in the beads and pendants.
Hearts and drippies are just fabu.
OW OW OW...with Vlad the Impailer, but I can't help but dig it ;-D
Just wanted to tell somethin' special that happened to me today. I placed a big order for some boro and in the package got a few surprises to test out. Go ME! I got a rod of each Loki's Lipstick, Yellow Pearl, Sparkly Thunder and Silver Aqua...life is good.
Imma' go torch ;-D

Old 2008-12-06, 9:39pm
William Hagy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAG View Post
I hardly ever make sets.... so I am showing these off just because it was such a challenge for me to make one after another.....
Kay it was great to see you on Friday!
14"x 10" nice lil woven basket was one of the several in the kiln from Friday morning and evening demos.

~W~

50mm & 40mm Herbert Arnold Zenit Burners,Carlisle cc/cc+/mini,Liquid O2.
Old 2008-12-06, 10:16pm

What a cool bowl!

I got some more torch time in Here are a couple of sets I made yesterday:

Old 2008-12-06, 11:08pm
Bliss Junkie

so i finally got around to learning how to do a 'bow-tie'... YAY!!! for me!!

anyway, decided to put them together into an ornament, with a wig-wag section in the middle of them..., added its own glass hook...
(the hole at the top is so big so i can add food color to enhance the pattern, i hope)

Karma, it's everywhere your going to be...

GTT Cricket and Carlisle CC w/ a lot of tanked oxygen
Old 2008-12-07, 8:43am
Flamewoman

Shawn~
Can you share with us ( in 500 words or less ) how to do a bowtie?

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2008-12-07, 9:00am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norskiglass View Post
14"x 10" nice lil woven basket was one of the several in the kiln from Friday morning and evening demos.

~W~
oh WOW... those turned out nice, Bill. Hey, gang. I got to watch him make these... they had an open house the other night. What a great studio and the hospitality was nothing short of the BEST...

Sonya.. I love that second set... you must have the patience of Jobe!!

Last edited by LAG; 2008-12-07 at 9:09am. Reason: sonyas beads..
Old 2008-12-07, 9:13am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norskiglass View Post

~W~
What kind of torch did you do these on? wow!

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein