Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2011-07-08, 9:00am

Oh..I'm not sure you will have too many problems.I can use most of the colors ok..just a few problem ones.I'll try holding the rod differently when I'm winding..maybe I'll do better.I have this rod in my hand and wrist now from surgery last year..its my left hand and I am a lefty and I have no bending ability so I have had to adjust over the months in how I hold the mandrel and rod too because of the mandrel.I'm getting better every time I torch..had to relearn how to write..lol..it looked like one of my grandkids writing at age 4.Geesh..lol.
"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-07-08, 9:30am

Kristina,
Sorry about the lag, I have been so busy at work.
I have talked to Natasha, I have to say they have the BEST customer service, she is taking care of it.
The crack is near the front of the unit running to about mid way back. Almost exactly where the first one was. That's why I thought it must have been something I did. I don't think it is electrical, I have it on a surge protecter, EVERYthing in my house is on surge protectors because I live out in the country. The unit is under my vent hood because the smell when I started it scared me (I thought it was on fire), there are no drafts directly on the unit. The smell went away and the unit stayed very hot. When I finished working for the day, I noticed that there was a large crack in the lining. With the first unit, as it was warming up I heard it go tink and then noticed the crack. I turned it off and didn't use it again. Thank you for trying to help me figure it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine Folly Glassworks View Post
Do you think the ceramic cracking is tied in with the electrical? I wouldn't think it would be... is it cracking at the front of the unit around the front lip? Maybe the cool air and the hot ceramic? Can I ask - do you have a fan or cool air blowing directly toward the unit?
Old 2011-07-08, 9:36am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatrix92 View Post
Kristina,
Sorry about the lag, I have been so busy at work.
I have talked to Natasha, I have to say they have the BEST customer service, she is taking care of it.
The crack is near the front of the unit running to about mid way back. Almost exactly where the first one was. That's why I thought it must have been something I did. I don't think it is electrical, I have it on a surge protecter, EVERYthing in my house is on surge protectors because I live out in the country. The unit is under my vent hood because the smell when I started it scared me (I thought it was on fire), there are no drafts directly on the unit. The smell went away and the unit stayed very hot. When I finished working for the day, I noticed that there was a large crack in the lining. With the first unit, as it was warming up I heard it go tink and then noticed the crack. I turned it off and didn't use it again. Thank you for trying to help me figure it out.

Rod Warmers do get around 800-900 degrees, so they are beyond hot. An oven at 425 is pretty hot and that's half way there. That's why a Rod Warmer does such a great job pre-warming. Please let us know if you get an answer on the cause. I wonder if some of the ceramic liners are to thin or have an air bubble inside to cause the stress?
Old 2011-07-08, 9:37am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rareripes View Post
Oh..I'm not sure you will have too many problems.I can use most of the colors ok..just a few problem ones.I'll try holding the rod differently when I'm winding..maybe I'll do better.I have this rod in my hand and wrist now from surgery last year..its my left hand and I am a lefty and I have no bending ability so I have had to adjust over the months in how I hold the mandrel and rod too because of the mandrel.I'm getting better every time I torch..had to relearn how to write..lol..it looked like one of my grandkids writing at age 4.Geesh..lol.
Have you switched to holding the mandrel in your left hand? If not it might be a help to lampworking. I made myself switch and an used to it now.
Old 2011-07-08, 9:48am

Kristina..even tho I am a lefty..I have always held the mandrel in my left hand..mainly because I have not gone to any classes and I learned most of what I know from Passing the Flame and she works that way..lol..she apologized to us lefties...but I have been ambidexterous in many things..so maybe I am lucky that way.I do have an electric mandrel winder also but it gets away from me
"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-07-08, 10:02am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Kristina..even tho I am a lefty..I have always held the mandrel in my left hand..mainly because I have not gone to any classes and I learned most of what I know from Passing the Flame and she works that way..lol..she apologized to us lefties...but I have been ambidexterous in many things..so maybe I am lucky that way.I do have an electric mandrel winder also but it gets away from me
Passing The Flame is why I changed too. I love that book! I wondered about using the mandrel spinner. Are you pressing a button to make it spin slower or faster? How is the rotation speed controlled?
Old 2011-07-09, 7:35pm
Live and Let Live

Hey... got my new glass order today!! Anyone else?!?

And I'm happy to report that the Frog Green is closer to Batch #1 that we all know and longed for, rather than the second batch I got that was more like Lilypad. (Don't know if it was mislabeled or an 'odd' Frog.) But I think we've got good stuff this time.

Last edited by GlassGalore; 2011-07-11 at 7:22am.
Old 2011-07-09, 7:52pm
And silence is golden

Got me some of that glass and new toys too Lisa!
Old 2011-07-09, 8:42pm

Kristina..I don't have the finger strength to slow it down easily..you push on a rubbery piece to slow it..I can and have used it for spacers but not for anything bigger.
However..thanks to you and Periwinkle ,I pulled out my Salmon today and came up with 5 beads! Too late to take pics tonight but I promise tomorrow I will take them and post.I know now what I was not doing...I was not keeping my rods in the preheater long enough.I started with 2 slimmer rods and 1 large thick rod.The first slim one I used had only been in the preheater for 15 min from the time I turned it on..I was able to get a couple wraps when it broke off about 1/4 inch but I kept it in the heat and just kept pushing the glass on.It broke the same way a few more times but stayed on the mandrel.Then I was able to melt it all and make my bead.The next slim rod worked perfectly as it was in the preheater much longer..to the point of looking light brown when i took it out.I got it into the hot flame quickly and had no breakage.I heard a tink in my rod warmer and was afraid of the ceramic cracking..although it has been fine in the past.A one and a half inch piece of the fat rod had broken off..whew..and when i used it..had no problems whatsoever.No flying chunks..nothing!They may not be the prettiest..but I conquered the Salmon!Yea!!Thanks for the encouragement Periwinkle and Kristina! Pics tomorrow!
"

Old 2011-07-09, 9:19pm

I had the honor of taking a class from Corina a couple weeks ago. I have now changed to my left hand. Boy it was hard to do! But I have found it works so much better. I have out my PTF and am now re-reading it. What a wonderful resource that has been so under used in my house!
Quote:
Passing The Flame is why I changed too. I love that book! I wondered about using the mandrel spinner. Are you pressing a button to make it spin slower or faster? How is the rotation speed controlled?
Old 2011-07-09, 10:20pm

Quote:
Please don't be amazed or quick to bash a color. That's one of the important points in working this glass. It has it's own requirements sometimes, and one person having a problem should not cause a color to be branded as bad.

Take Salmon for instance. Some people get beautiful results and some can't work with it.
Ok I have to ask you this. Why do you care so much if people don't like this glass? After what you said to me on this thread abut my experience, I am just really curious as to why you get so protective over it. I can't imagine being this protective over a type of glass even if I mixed it up in my own kitchen.
Old 2011-07-10, 3:08am
StudioMarcy

Lisa, I have my new glass too. I will have a photo later of a very interesting color that surprised me. Chocolate. Has anyone else used it yet? It melted nicely for me. It was a kind of funky color on the rod which didn't look chocolate to me, but more like a brownish lipstick. Then when it was hot on my mandrel, it looked like milk chocolate at best, more like a cafe au lait, and then I was sure surprised when I opened the kiln and found a much lighter version that I love, but don't expect. It's more like a version of coffee with lots of cream, but in a warm tone. I will be ordering more of it. It will make a gorgeous deeper skin tone.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-07-10, 5:57am

Lisa can you post a pic? I would love to see it!
Old 2011-07-10, 6:12am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Snail View Post
Ok I have to ask you this. Why do you care so much if people don't like this glass? After what you said to me on this thread abut my experience, I am just really curious as to why you get so protective over it. I can't imagine being this protective over a type of glass even if I mixed it up in my own kitchen.

Hi Bran,

Thank you for being interested. When Devardi was first getting launched there were a number of people who were really happy to have it as an option (me included), and a number who were incredibly cruel - with an agenda to ruin Devardi as a businesss. Some of them had/have glass-selling businesses online.

Those of us who wanted to be free to choose Devardi glass went through a terrible time with people posting to be hateful and causing strife and misery that was mindbending. It caused the owners of Devardi to stop posting here because it was so mean and unrelenting...

Anyone should be free to use any glass they like without harassment, and so the drive to scare people away from this glass was really vile to me. I stood up against the hatefulness in support of Devardi's right to exist and for people to be free to make the choice to use it or not. I also directly addressed the meanness and the bashing along with others who felt it was so wrong.

I can see now that it has made me to sensitive or quick to worry that it is starting up again, and I am sure going to be more careful now that I see it. I hope that helps explain it.
Old 2011-07-10, 6:14am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Kristina..I don't have the finger strength to slow it down easily..you push on a rubbery piece to slow it..I can and have used it for spacers but not for anything bigger.
However..thanks to you and Periwinkle ,I pulled out my Salmon today and came up with 5 beads! Too late to take pics tonight but I promise tomorrow I will take them and post.I know now what I was not doing...I was not keeping my rods in the preheater long enough.I started with 2 slimmer rods and 1 large thick rod.The first slim one I used had only been in the preheater for 15 min from the time I turned it on..I was able to get a couple wraps when it broke off about 1/4 inch but I kept it in the heat and just kept pushing the glass on.It broke the same way a few more times but stayed on the mandrel.Then I was able to melt it all and make my bead.The next slim rod worked perfectly as it was in the preheater much longer..to the point of looking light brown when i took it out.I got it into the hot flame quickly and had no breakage.I heard a tink in my rod warmer and was afraid of the ceramic cracking..although it has been fine in the past.A one and a half inch piece of the fat rod had broken off..whew..and when i used it..had no problems whatsoever.No flying chunks..nothing!They may not be the prettiest..but I conquered the Salmon!Yea!!Thanks for the encouragement Periwinkle and Kristina! Pics tomorrow!

Diana that's great! I have learned to leave my rods in long enough to thoroughly preheat too. Peach does turn brown. If a color is still shocky I pull thick stringers to work with and that takes it away. Can't wait to see your pics!
Old 2011-07-10, 6:17am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by blong2001 View Post
I had the honor of taking a class from Corina a couple weeks ago. I have now changed to my left hand. Boy it was hard to do! But I have found it works so much better. I have out my PTF and am now re-reading it. What a wonderful resource that has been so under used in my house!
Bethany, what a joy that must have been! Wish I could have joined you. I went through the misery of learning to hold the mandrel left handed after reading her book, and I am so glad as a right handed person.

I also wish I could travel and take a class from Marcy on using a Cricket since she's the closest of the teachers to where I live. I am still facing that challenge. I love LOVE (did I mention love?) my Hothead, but I understand that it's a whole new world on a mix torch!
Old 2011-07-10, 6:25am
StudioMarcy

Aw thanks Kristina. You just made my day. <3

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-07-10, 6:26am
StudioMarcy

that was supposed to be a heart. I am still in the dark ages on computer issues

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-07-10, 6:28am
sunscreen me baby

That works on FB Marcy, you aren't so far behind For here you put : love : (take out the spaces)

~

Old 2011-07-10, 6:29am
StudioMarcy

to both of you! Thanks Suzy.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-07-10, 6:48am
StudioMarcy

Oh, while I'm at it, here is a photo from the Chocolate that I tried last night. I love the color, but as you can see, its name works better for the rod, before it's melted.

And if this was a fluke for any reason, I'd love to see what other colors people got from it.
Attached Images

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-07-10, 6:53am
Melts Under Fire

Well, I learned something new this morning - be careful with the glass - I probably would not encase Effetre glass with Devardi again. I spent quite a bit of time on this fish bead to have it go "crack, crack, crackity crack" right in my hands. This is unmarked Devardi transparent pink over Effetre white and decorated with effetre Transparent dark amethyst.

Not sure if you can see in the pics - but the cracks are only in the pink - they do not travel into the purple fins or the red lips at all - they just go under it.

I learned that when working with Devardi glass - I should keep it all Devardi - especially when encasing.

I also fee that everyone has the right to express the good, the bad and the ugly experiences with glass - no matter what brand. The point of this thread is to share experiences and help others with difficulties. How can you help, if everyone is afraid to post something negative????

Old 2011-07-10, 7:02am
StudioMarcy

bummer Michelle. My condolences on your poor little fishie. The color is so pretty.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-07-10, 7:05am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Marcy - I sure meant it! And that chocolate or combination you worked with is fabulous! Beautiful work.

Michelle, Your fish is so nicely done - so sorry it cracked on you. I have learned to test each combination as a small bead before I combine unknown playmates. Hope you will find a combination you like that works.
Old 2011-07-10, 7:22am
Melts Under Fire

Darn it - I should of left her on the mandrel - at least I was still able to enjoy looking at the fish...

Old 2011-07-10, 7:27am

Marcy-very pretty! Love the combo with the pink. I must try some of the "chocolate"!

Michelle-He was so cute! Sorry he cracked. Try the rose over vetro white. That is what works for me.
Old 2011-07-10, 7:28am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Here is a pic of some tests I did last night.

The Semi Opaque Honeydew did well for me on this Hothead, though it came out lighter after being annealed, but the new 123 Frog Green was not so happy on my Hothead... maybe if I encase it.

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2011-07-10 at 9:37am.
Old 2011-07-10, 7:30am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formed In Fire View Post
Darn it - I should of left her on the mandrel - at least I was still able to enjoy looking at the fish...
I forgot to say that Devardi's Semi Opaque White also encases nicely and turns opaque for me. If you look past the bubbles, this is Transparent Dark Rose over Semi Opaque White.

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2011-07-10 at 9:43am.
Old 2011-07-10, 8:02am
Melts Under Fire

I think I will stick with devardi on devardi - not mixing different brands.
I usually don't make test beads because when I get in a whim to make bead, I just go down and make beads - whatever comes to mind. I guess if I intentionally planned my sessions out - making tests would be a good idea.
I will remake the fish today with only devardi glass and see how it comes out. I don't think I have any of their white though, so I will use something that I have on hand, maybe blue.

Old 2011-07-10, 9:13am
sunscreen me baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
Oh, while I'm at it, here is a photo from the Chocolate that I tried last night. I love the color, but as you can see, its name works better for the rod, before it's melted.

And if this was a fluke for any reason, I'd love to see what other colors people got from it.
Wow, I wouldn't have expected that color either. I wish I were a scientific glass person so I could understand what chemicals do what. It fascinates me. But I'm clueless, lol.

~

Closed Thread

Tags
devardi