Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Calls for Entries, etc.

Calls for Entries, etc. -- Calls for Entries, Contests, Exhibits, etc.

Old 2008-12-31, 5:25am
Calendar Girl

Default 2009 member Bead calendar-taking submissions

OK, I've had this idea going around in my head the last couple of days. I made an iphoto calendar of my boys for my mom and it came out great. I thought it would be fun to do a calender with LE members bead photos on it.

Here are the guidelines:

I've decided to do it privately through lulu, which means that I will make it only available to people thru a link on the LE auctions/self-promo forum. Not to the general "lulu" public. I will be making a few dollars on the calendars for my time and effort. I'm going to make it 11 x 17 and it should cost around $19 plus tax and shipping.

Since this is being done at the last minute, I'm going to keep the calendar simple so that I can get it done quickly. It will have no more than 3 photos per page, with a caption on the bottom right of the page to give everyone credit. The credits will read left to right, top to bottom. You may give me your name and LE name if you wish. Please do not give me photos that already have signatures on them, as this will make the calendar look very busy.

The higher the resolution of your photo and the closest to size in the calendar, the better. You can go to lulu.com to see the template. It is called "Modern Lines". 300 dpi at 8.5 x11 is ideal. To give you an example of a full page photo that the lulu software accepted, 2592 x 1944 pixels seemed to work. You can go to lulu.com to test your photo. If it is too low a resolution, they will give you a warning. I may not have time myself to test all the photos. I reserve the right to reject a photo if it is really poor quality (out of focus, etc). I am not making any judgements on quality of beads.

By sending me your photo, you are agreeing to let me use it for this calendar, and that is it. If you don't like my terms, please don't send me a photo. I'm doing this for fun and a little extra cash (which I'll probably spend back here on LE!).

The deadline will be 7am Jan 5 EST. If I get 36 photos before then, I will post and take no more submissions. I do not want to do any judging on beads.

If you are interested, pm me and I will send you my email addy so you can send me your photo

If I don't get enough photos, I'll just cancel the whole thing and notify you. (but I hope that won't happen)

Since I have not done a collaboration like this before, I'm a little nervous so please be patient and bear with me. I'm going to try and get this out asap, I'll work on it Monday when my kids are back in school.

Hope this answers all your questions, thanks, and
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Marjo; 2008-12-31 at 9:42am.
Old 2008-12-31, 8:18am
NW Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjo View Post

The higher the resolution of your photo and the closest to size in the calendar, the better. You can go to lulu.com to see the template. It is called "Modern Lines". 300 dpi is ideal. I reserve the right to reject a photo if it is really poor quality (out of focus, etc). I am not making any judgements on quality of beads.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Maybe you should give guidlines for the size of the picture? Or is it that you are going to crop and size each bead and do the layout differently on each page and just want us to send the biggest file possible? JPEG or TIFF? I looked at Modern Lines but it still left me wondering what you need from us.
Maybe I'm over-thinking this because I had to jump through lots of hoops before my bead photo went into the Bead Review book by Brad and Deanna.

J

Jennifer
Highland Beads
Old 2008-12-31, 9:44am
Calendar Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiacat View Post
Maybe you should give guidlines for the size of the picture? Or is it that you are going to crop and size each bead and do the layout differently on each page and just want us to send the biggest file possible? JPEG or TIFF? I looked at Modern Lines but it still left me wondering what you need from us.
300 dpi at 8.5 x11 is ideal. To give you an example of a full page photo that the lulu software accepted, 2592 x 1944 pixels seemed to work. You can try it for yourself at lulu.com, do your own "test" calendar.
Hope that helps, I'm doing the best I can...

Old 2008-12-31, 3:35pm
NW Oregon

Quote:
300 dpi at 8.5 x11 is ideal. To give you an example of a full page photo that the lulu software accepted, 2592 x 1944 pixels seemed to work. You can try it for yourself at lulu.com, do your own "test" calendar.
Hope that helps, I'm doing the best I can...
Thanks for the help!

Jennifer
Highland Beads
Old 2009-01-02, 6:47am
Calendar Girl

Hi everyone-
I've been getting some great photos and answering LOTS of PM's and emails. If my answers have to you have been brief, it's because I was traveling and was on my iphone.

Just to clarify a few things:
Please send your photos un-cropped, or at least with ample background around the bead. This will give me more flexibility on where I place it and how I crop it.
Also check your focus very carefully. Some folks have been having issues with this.

And I know I didn't originally specify this but let's keep the photos to either a single bead, a "set" or a finished piece of jewelry.

thanks!

Old 2009-01-02, 8:12am
Xstatic

thank you for doing this! I cant wait! I will definitely want a few.
Gail

'A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner'
Old 2009-01-02, 10:12am
Virginia.

gonna go photo hunting- hope you haven't got 36 already - V

If you have a chance, choose to dance!! If you are sick - stay home - you too can personally start a Pandemic!!! - Virginia

Old 2009-01-02, 10:37am
Calendar Girl

LOTS of interest. I've received photos from 10 people that are good and useable for the calendar. Others are working on focusing and resolution issues. A bunch are busy photographing today. I imagine I'll be busy today organizing. Oh yeah and I guess I'll do one for myself...

Old 2009-01-02, 12:04pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Thanks for the update! I'll be buying one

Old 2009-01-02, 12:15pm
Virginia.

what color background do you preferr?

If you have a chance, choose to dance!! If you are sick - stay home - you too can personally start a Pandemic!!! - Virginia

Old 2009-01-02, 12:23pm
Calendar Girl

Most photos have been against a neutral grey or grey to black gradation but use what works best for your bead. May I suggest simple and uncluttered. It's all about the bead, not the background!

Old 2009-01-03, 1:49am
I speak Murrini!

Thanks for updating Marjo...I figure you're probably getting LOTS of submissions and wondered if you'll be contacting those who's beads are going to make it in? Just wondering...(wink!)

Thanks for all the effort and assemblage! I'm definitely going to buy one!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-01-03, 6:51am
Calendar Girl

As of this morning, I have usable photos from 15 artists and interest from 38.
I have read 58 pm's and 45 email messages.
If you have sent me a photo and I have not responded, please email or pm me.

Remember the first 36 good photos before 7am est on Monday the 5th are in.

PLEASE make sure your photos are:
•high enough resolution for lulu.com "Modern Lines" calendar.
• crisply focused
• NOT tightly cropped. The best is the original image from the camera with ample background around the bead so I can crop to fit the rectangle in the template.

Thanks for all of the support and response. My eyeballs are burning, but I'm having fun!

Old 2009-01-07, 4:18pm
Calendar Girl

Default Almost there!

I'm just waiting for a few folks to let me know if they want their email, etsy, ebay or website addy...

Then I can "publish" it.

-Marjorie

Old 2009-01-07, 10:55pm
Calendar Girl

Default It's heeeeeeee-re!!!!

It's finished!!!
Here's the link to the detailed info in Auctions, self-promo, etc:
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=117746
Or just click on the links in my sig if you want one right now!
-Marjo

Last edited by Marjo; 2009-01-07 at 11:02pm. Reason: fixed the link
Old 2009-01-07, 10:59pm
Suzi Fitzwater

Quote:
It's finished!!!
Here's the link to the detailed info in Auctions, self-promo, etc:
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...50#post2305550
Or just click on the links in my sig if you want one right now!
-Marjo
The link you wrote out doesn't work, but the one in your siggy does!! How great!
Old 2009-01-08, 2:51am
Flamin' Redhead

Marjo, you are fast! Thanks again for all your efforts. I know it will be fabulous!

From the sneak peek of the cover you sent us, I could tell who made certain beads, just from learning their style here in the gallery. It was fun.

I ordered 2 of them....can't wait!

#T48
Old 2009-01-08, 8:21am
I play with FIRE!!

I still get a brokn link regardless of which one I use, does someone have a good link they can send me? It just shows up as Item Not Available when I click on any link.

Thanks
Stephanie

Old 2009-01-08, 1:03pm
Calendar Girl

The link is working now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by txaggiechik View Post
I still get a brokn link regardless of which one I use, does someone have a good link they can send me? It just shows up as Item Not Available when I click on any link.

Thanks
Stephanie

Old 2009-01-11, 9:46pm

Kewl!! Marjo....I just won the Nov/Dec Glass Challenge with that poinsetta marble I sent you! I hadn't won anything at the time I sent it, so the calendar will be even more of a keeper for me!!

My Non-Glass Sites:

Old 2009-01-11, 9:53pm
Calendar Girl

Congratulations, Helen!!!