Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2009-12-16, 10:04am

Default Using Boro Dichro Images - Any Tips?

Hi!
I've got a friend that saw an etched dichro pendant awhile ago and has been hinting that he'd like one for Christmas. I'm talking about these:

http://www.dichroicimagery.com/index...sort=4a&page=4

I'm fairly new to boro and I'm not sure how to make a pendant with these and have a few questions.

1. Is the design behind a top layer of clear like most dichro? If so, should I start by sealing the back first and then build up the front gently so as not to distort the design?

2. Can I fuse boro? He also plays poker and I thought it would make a nice card topper, which is basically a fused piece of glass like you would make for a wire wrapped pendant. Would the design burnout from the high temps?

Any tips, instructions would be appreciated! Do you know of any Youtube or tutorials on how to use these images?

I'd love to see any examples you've made. Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-12-16, 10:18am
product of the universe

I attach a punty to the corner of the image. Then heat the clear side til the dichro starts to craze. Then heat a gob of clear and cover the dichro. Remove the punty and use the glass attached to the gob of clear as your new punty. wipe off excess clear around the image, back the image with your choice of color.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2009-12-16, 5:20pm
Attack of the Snuggie!

Make a maria, lay the image on a marver pad dichro side up. Super heat the face of the maria till its white hot. put it over the chip and let it flow around the dichro image. Melt in from maria face to force out any small edge bubbles by re heating the maria face.

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

...Stephen F Roberts
Old 2009-12-16, 5:38pm

Thanks for replying, Dave and Chris! I'm going to use both of your suggestions. I ordered extra images to practice with, hopefully I'll be able to get at least one worthy of a gift.