Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-08-23, 5:16am
ManBearPig

Default I need some good opals...

Anyone have a source for good opals? Specifically rough tumbled opals.

I used to get them from Profound Glass, but they have been out of them for a while, and every time I e-mail them, they say "we'll get them back in soon".

I bought some from another supplier recently and they were terrible. Full of fissures, no color at all in them, etc. I have gotten one good piece out of the maybe 10 opals I have used from that supplier.

So, I'm looking for a good source for them. Any leads will be greatly appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-08-23, 5:34am
Attack of the Snuggie!

Abr has them. I just bought a bunch of polished ones but they had rough too. Dave at abr will hand pick for you if you call him. I got to hand pick my own which was fun.

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

...Stephen F Roberts
Old 2010-08-23, 8:32am
ManBearPig

That's where I got these from. Didn't really want to post it initially because I like the company and I still get a lot from them, so I didn't want it to sound like I was saying anything bad about them. Just was not happy with the opals I got from them.

Old 2010-08-23, 10:45am

What color are you looking for? We have some old stock left and I forget it... Maybe thats why we still have it'

Old 2010-08-23, 11:31am
Pyromaniac

what is the difference between the rough-tumbled vs polished? Can you encase both? I've used some cut chips and some round (spherical) opals in the past, but I'm thinking about purchasing some now and it's definitely on my mind.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2010-08-23, 11:38am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunray View Post
What color are you looking for? We have some old stock left and I forget it... Maybe thats why we still have it'
White preferably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyip View Post
what is the difference between the rough-tumbled vs polished? Can you encase both? I've used some cut chips and some round (spherical) opals in the past, but I'm thinking about purchasing some now and it's definitely on my mind.
The rough ones are rough. The polished are polished. Both are random shapes, but the polished ones have smooth edges and encase better than regular rough ones.

Old 2010-08-23, 12:07pm

Cosmo......that's why I told you to call me and ask me to pick them.

I would've made sure you got nice ones. We have such a bulk, and most of the guys in the warehouse just weigh out grams from the bulk.

Wish you'd call, we'd take em back, and I would pick the new ones.

Old 2010-08-23, 6:28pm
Madmanmarbles

I Know these opals seem to be harder to come by with each passing day, I am not pointing fingers, but if you know the warehouse guys are going to pull any random opals, why don't you pick out a few grams and have them ready and keep a supply ready when customer order so the warehouse guys who are probably trying to hurry and get order out can get what they need and the customer will be happy.
Again, not trying to point fingers, but buyers shouldn't have to call and speak to a specific person if they want good opals. I don't want to call anyone when I order, I don't have the time to make extra calls, I want to have an order on line and have it filled..
Good luck getting some nice one's Cosmo, I have been out for some time now..

[color="Red"] Chettah
Old 2010-08-24, 6:35am
Pyromaniac

so what are the benefits of using rough tumbled vs using the polished? Cost?

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2010-08-24, 7:08am

well, to keep opals supplied, we buy bulk, at one rate. we can't just throw them away. they are all usable, and for the most part very nice.

i was just going to have him call, because he likes specific things for the type of work he does. i could help him with that. as i would anyone who called and ordered opals. i do it for people all the time. some people can't use big chunks, some want big chunks.

as far as the quality, that's why i offered to have them returned. we'd also do that for anyone. but we have rarely had people call and complain about the quality, so it's not been an issue. so, i'd say normally, people get good opals when they order. i was speaking to the warehouse guys, just meaning that they may not know Cosmo's work like I do, and may just give him big pieces.

anyway, if anyone ever has specific opal needs for their work, feel free to call and ask for my assistance.

thanks

Old 2010-08-24, 7:23am

the polished cost a bit more, about $5 more per gram. but the rough can occasionally have scratches or low spots on the surface that can cause air to be trapped in the glass. this often leads to cracking. but sometimes, the appearance of a rough edged opal can be pretty cool.

Old 2010-08-24, 7:33am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABR Dave View Post
Cosmo......that's why I told you to call me and ask me to pick them.

I would've made sure you got nice ones. We have such a bulk, and most of the guys in the warehouse just weigh out grams from the bulk.

Wish you'd call, we'd take em back, and I would pick the new ones.
Called twice to talk to you. You weren't there. Ended up talking to someone else (Tim maybe?) and asked him to have you pick them.

I ended up giving most of them to a friend for him to play with, but I need to order some more stuff next week so I'll make sure I talk to you.

Last edited by Cosmo; 2010-08-24 at 7:36am.
Old 2010-08-24, 8:23am

that's too bad.....sorry bout that. i'm usually around. it has been show season though, so we've been in and out a little.

i'll make sure we connect next time

Old 2010-08-24, 8:25am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Anyone have a source for good opals? Specifically rough tumbled opals.

I used to get them from Profound Glass, but they have been out of them for a while, and every time I e-mail them, they say "we'll get them back in soon".

I bought some from another supplier recently and they were terrible. Full of fissures, no color at all in them, etc. I have gotten one good piece out of the maybe 10 opals I have used from that supplier.

So, I'm looking for a good source for them. Any leads will be greatly appreciated.
Yeah, I have had the best luck with profound glass when they have them available. I have been waiting for about three months though, and I am starting to get low. Hope they get some more in soon.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2010-08-24, 9:23am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by e. mort View Post
Yeah, I have had the best luck with profound glass when they have them available. I have been waiting for about three months though, and I am starting to get low. Hope they get some more in soon.
It's been like a year since I've seen them have any in stock. I check about once a month. I'm ready to buy a couple hundred bucks worth from them if they ever have any more...

Old 2010-08-24, 1:10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
It's been like a year since I've seen them have any in stock. I check about once a month. I'm ready to buy a couple hundred bucks worth from them if they ever have any more...
Sometimes they sell out before they get it on the website. I purchased a bag about 6 months ago. They are out of town for a bit, but I will give them a call when they get back. I will pm you if they have any. I need white 5mm spheres right now as well.....

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2010-08-25, 8:36am
Attack of the Snuggie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by e. mort View Post
Sometimes they sell out before they get it on the website. I purchased a bag about 6 months ago. They are out of town for a bit, but I will give them a call when they get back. I will pm you if they have any. I need white 5mm spheres right now as well.....
I pretty sure abr has these I was at the philly show and bought 40 or so 3.5s white and black and a couple 5.5 blacks. I picked about $400 worth and there are scads left. They must have $10,000 worth of stock.

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

...Stephen F Roberts
Old 2010-08-25, 8:52am

Well, it looks like the biggest spheres we have in white right now are the 3.5's
Old 2010-08-25, 9:49am

Do any other rocks encase well?? I have some calcite at home and am wondering...

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2010-08-25, 1:17pm

We have spheres up to 5.5 actually. We have some really nice stuff. I can post pics of our stock if you guys want. Look for them tomorrow.

The shaped opals we have are nothing but top quality. We have all sizes of spheres, flat rounds, marquis, pears, opals, and some trillions. I believe there are squares as well.

Old 2010-08-25, 2:04pm
ManBearPig

Pull out a gram or so of good rough polished opals. I'll call you in the morning to order.