Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Beads of Courage > Beads of Courage

Beads of Courage -- Discussion for all things Beads of Courage; the only not-for-profit, arts-in-medicine program putting to use the talents of glass beadmakers to uplift children dealing with life threatening illnesses, their families and the people who care for them. Families, clinicians and artists alike are welcome to join in! (Thank you to Lampwork Etc. for supporting Beads of Courage and helping to foster communication!) PHOTOS OF INDIVIDUALS OR CHILDREN ONLY ALLOWED WITH THEIR SPECIFIC CONSENT.

Old 2015-06-19, 7:57pm

Default From a mom- thank you

Thank you, beadmakers, for all your time and hard work in making beads for Beads of Courage. My daughter had open heart surgery last summer and we were started on BOC in the hospital and just today received our second shipment through the distance program.

She is two now and sits attentively in my lap awed by the beads. Although she doesn't fully understand, her sisters and I explain each bead to her as we string them. The beads are so beautiful and they have a weight to them that feels meaningful.

She uses a combination of speech, sign language, and a high-tech AAC device to communicate. When we were stringing beads today, she kept saying "bee" (bead) and used her talker to say "more", "good", and "joy".

Her prized bead is a sweet white kitty (her *favorite* animal). Every time we pull the beads out, she lovingly kisses or hugs the kitty. This was an Act of Courage bead from pre-op testing before her open heart surgery.

You are making a difference! Thank you for what all of you have done for countless families out there.
Old 2015-06-19, 8:36pm
Flame Dames Rule!

I always have trouble responding to BOC thanks, because I get emotional, but I'll start this off.

It's an honor to work with Beads of Courage, and use our art to help you and your baby get thru these difficult times.

There are a *lot* of us on this forum and in the International Society of Glass Beadmakers who contribute to Beads of Courage, and we're all glad to do it. It feels good to help.

Give your baby and her sisters a hug for me?
*sharon*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2015-06-19, 8:44pm
Loving learning

BOC Mama, Sharon said it well, so I will just agree.
It brings a lot to our lives to know that we are helping children in some small way,
thank you for posting.
Old 2015-06-19, 8:52pm

Thank you, SharonP and Eileen.

To be honest, I was crying writing it. BOC is emotional for me too!

Dd's latest beads are mostly for therapies, her many clinic visits, and occasional ER visits/pokes/new meds. I am humbled when I see the kids who have thousands of beads!
Old 2015-06-20, 6:02am

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I honestly sort of have to shut my brain off to why I am making BOC beads. But I love hearing about how the families use them to celebrate.

It is an honor to share our beads with you.
Old 2015-06-20, 7:45am
Lampworkaholic!

It's an honor and a privilege to be part of the journey of your daughter and all the children in the program.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2015-06-20, 7:56am
flight risk

Ditto to all of the above. I use my BOC time as a reminder to be grateful for my children and their health, and I hope in some small way I am helping some kid out there get through a difficult stage in their life. Very glad to hear your daughter is doing well!

Old 2015-06-20, 5:19pm

I am so happy they bring smiles to these children. They make me giggle when I make cute beads.
Old 2015-06-22, 9:45am

I am very glad to hear that your daughter is doing well and appreciate your sharing her story with us. As Sharon said, there are many bead makers on this forum who donate their glass, gas and most importantly their precious time to support Beads of Courage. It is always heartening for us to hear from those who have received these donated beads, bringing healing back in full circle.
Thank you!
Robert
Old 2015-06-22, 9:50am

Everyone else said it so well - it's a privilege and a joy to make beads for kids like yours.

Thanks so much for posting!
Old 2015-06-22, 7:28pm

Becca from BOC asked if she could share this on their FB page, so if you want to get a glimpse of my dd and her adored kitty bead, head over there!

Old 2015-06-25, 6:24am

Hi BOC Mama! I'm another one who agrees whole heartedly with the previous posters. It is an honor and priviledge to be involved with such a great program. When I head out to my quaint studio knowing in advance that my torch session will be strictly for BOC I need to tune myself out as well. As I make certain beads I really get emotional and then lose my focus.

I don't think it is necessary for families or friends or loved ones of the kids chime in here but it is nice to hear from "the other side" every now and then. It reinforces the BOC program(s), what we do and WHY we do it.

Thank you <3

Duane M.

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN