Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-10-18, 8:30am
yukue fumei

you got some beautiful purples and blues!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
nagi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-10-18, 8:33am
yukue fumei

sorry--double post!

nagi

Last edited by nagibeads; 2008-10-18 at 8:34am. Reason: oop--sorry!! double post
Old 2008-10-18, 8:34am
yukue fumei

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeRangiStudio View Post
WOW!!
Gorgeous!
So sorry they cracked...

nagi

Old 2008-10-18, 9:56am
Evil Glass Enabler

Thumbs up

I can tell I'm going to have to make some Pandora beads and run my kiln the "usual" time. Angelique

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurysGlass View Post
I'm sorry, I couldn't figure out how to get the images in my post, so just check out my site if you want to see some beads I made with the Pandora glass. Personally, I love the colors but the kiln time is outrageous. I would melt the beads into oblivion if I used the recommended soak temp, so I had to run the kiln three times at a lower temp to achieve these colors. Whew!

http://mercurysglass.com

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2008-10-26, 2:12pm
where is that UPS man?

I am having problems with Pandora and cracking.. This is especially true with encased beads. I am getting gorgeous colors and love the stuff but 2 sets that I have made have cracked days to weeks later.... I encase with both diamond and vetro kiln 965 for 2 hour soak then ramp 80 hr to 600. Off at 600 to room temp... Now afraid to use glass.....

Deb
SERIOUS GLASS HO

Old 2008-10-26, 2:20pm
Entropy increasing....

That's weird. I have been using Diamond Clear and not having any problems.
Old 2008-10-27, 6:35pm

TeRangiStudio - oh wow! Those are beautiful.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2008-11-05, 8:52pm

More Pandora Shards on ivory
Attached Images

Old 2008-12-07, 8:09pm

I made some pandora disks and they turned out such a beautiful color.
Attached Images

Old 2008-12-07, 9:31pm
I speak Murrini!

Oooo, yummie additions! I still think Pandora hates me...

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-12-15, 2:01pm

Default Ive got purples!!!!!

Ok, so this is what pandora finally did for me...

I love the goddesses in the first few pages!

I made a Rob keyes wavey bead,(fairly new to me, thanks Rob!) didnt do anything special to it, no striking, no reducing, just made it fairly hot and fast, and then put it in my kiln at 520c for 5 hours. it went in transparent green with a few slightly opaque greenish bits. (these are where its come out sort of pale greenish cream)
the clear is 006 effetre.

Ive just ordered more pandora...I love it!

Old 2008-12-15, 6:06pm
Catnip Pusher

You know, I can make really nice Pandora spacers...

When I try to do anything larger the results are so unpredictable. I have about 6 inches of Pandora left, and I have to decide if I want to order more.

Aimee
Old 2008-12-15, 7:09pm

MadelineBunyan Oh wow, very pretty.

Old 2008-12-16, 3:35am

Beautiful Lara and Madeline!

Old 2008-12-16, 4:40am
Mad about Glass

Steph, do we strike Pandora the in same way as your Luna2 tutorial? As yet I can only get an insipid opaque green from Pandora. I would love to know how to get the beautiful colours that Lara and Madeline achieved.

Jenn

[url]

Old 2008-12-16, 5:37am
Gimme that silver glass!

I don't strike pandora in the flame, but the kiln. I made this vessel out of pandora and did nothing fancy with it. Make it, put it in the kiln for 3 hours on 521 Celcius.

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2008-12-16, 11:58am

anouk thats lovely!
Thanks for nice comments everyone

Jenn,I did no striking & no reducing on mine, just in the kiln at 520 c for 5 hours (that just happened to be what was left, it may take less time or strike better with more time)....the key (for me anyway) seems to be if it goes in the colour of the rod, (transparenty green) and the temp and time are right, you should get nice colours.

someone said that it seemed to them that those who worked it hot and decisively got the best colours.(somewhere near the beginning of this thread) that principle worked for me.

When I tried too hard to get colour out of it by striking etc I just got mush, when I just dived in and got on with my bead and entrusted it to the kiln to make it do its thing, it behaved!

next weekend I will play some more and see if I get consistent results (well ish, I'd be happy with any shade of purple!)

Madeline

Old 2008-12-16, 3:32pm
Mad about Glass

Thanks Anouk and Madeline.

I'm doing the same as you. I was afraid that I was working it too hot!!! I have it in the kiln at 515 for 4 - 5 hours. I will increase the kiln temp to 520C and try again.

Thanks
Jenn

[url]

Old 2008-12-16, 4:16pm

good luck!

Old 2008-12-16, 4:36pm
yukue fumei

wow beautiful!

nagi

Old 2008-12-16, 7:36pm

Hi, Jenn! As Anouk and Madeline have written, kiln striking is the way to work this glass, rather than striking it in the flame like Luna2.

I also am having a tough time getting Pandora to strike but I know that it's my fault as I can't ever seem to remember NOT to try flame striking it! I need to try what Madeline said, dive in, make the bead and trust the kiln. That's great advice.

BTW, gorgeous colors in that vessel Anouk!

Old 2008-12-19, 4:39pm
Linda Linda Honey, lookit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post

OMG!!! I am not a Goddess bead fan by any means.... but this has got to be the best one I think I have ever seen!!!!

Old 2008-12-19, 4:52pm
Linda Linda Honey, lookit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly
OH MY!!! I can't WAIT until I know how to make colors like this! GEES this is just absolutely GORGEOUS!!!

Old 2008-12-19, 5:50pm
just plain silly

Anouk, that vessel is GORGEOUS!!!!!!

Could the problem be the style of kiln??? What is everyone using that gets the fab colors? I use the Jen Ken and can't seem to come up with anything but that mossy green color no matter what I do!

Suzanne
Old 2008-12-20, 5:19am

mines a paragon sc2

Old 2008-12-20, 5:37am
Mad about Glass

Mine is an Australian made kiln - a Woodrow. The temperature is very accurate - my DH has tested it with his engineering equipment. I did have a slightly better result when I raised the annealing temp to 520C. I don't try to strike in the flame. I do make large, time-consuming beads so perhaps I'm overworking the Pandora. Hotter and quicker seems to be better as my best results are small beads that only take a few minutes to make instead of the usual 30 to 60 minutes for a complex bead.

Jenn

[url]

Old 2008-12-20, 5:58am
Uh-oh means it's too late

Wow I only jumped to the last page here but Anouk that vessel is a knockout. I think I saw it in the Gallery? Okay I have an Olympic Kiln with Digital Controller. It is very accurate but I don't know the conversion what temp is 520C in F? I was gifted a rod several months back and I was afraid to use it!!!! Now I have too!!!!!!!!!! Happy Holidays and thanks for the info ahead of I will be without a comp for a few days!!!!!

Old 2008-12-20, 7:00am

520 C is 968 F

Old 2008-12-20, 7:08am
Gimme that silver glass!

Thanks everyone for your sweet comments!!!!

I did nothing fancy with it, just make the vessel and pop it in the kiln. I'll try another, slightly different style of vessel today and see how that works. I just anneal it for a few hours at 521 c.

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2008-12-20, 8:27am
Uh-oh means it's too late

Thank you for the conversion- I get one more torching session then I have to pack ughhhh. Oh also can you do other beads or is it a "Pandora only" session with this schedule? TTFN I might check back before I leave if I have time.

Tags
pandora, strike