LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2012-09-09, 12:36pm

Default FREE - Swirled Whirled Beads

I have a thing for glass shorts - fun little bits of glass that were partially used
and left... I adopt them from others, beautiful bunches of color.

Now the problem is... What to do with them? I collected some transparent colors
and white stringer, and melted them together into fun, swirled wispy beads. Here's
how!

Heat the end of the short (I used the scummy, cut end, since not all the glass will
go on the bead) and attach it to the heated end of a punty mandrel.

Wrap an opaque color around it. I used white for contrast with the deep cobalt
blue.

Fold it in half, or let it fall on itself, or just wad it all up. Neatness does
not count - the messier the hot mess is, the wispier the result. For what's shown
above, I folded it half then gave it a few twists with pliers.

Wind it on a mandrel - remember a narrow footprint so it's nicely dimpled - and
melt it down.

The results can be very fun - remember a small amount of opaque color goes a long
way!

If the bead is smaller than you'd like, encasing in clear or another color will
magnify the swirls and add depth.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon

Last edited by NLC Beads; 2012-09-09 at 6:27pm.
Old 2012-09-09, 1:33pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

LOVE this idea! Thank you so much Nikki! What a great use for shorts. Now if I could only get Mark to make them...

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2012-09-09, 3:59pm

Nikki these are very cool... Thanks for tutorial for using up shorts.
Old 2012-09-09, 5:54pm
what's a senior moment ?

This is always fun to do ! I've done it with regular rods of glass too.

Old 2012-09-09, 6:10pm

This is so cool! I cannot wait to give it a try. Thanks so much for sharing.
Old 2012-09-09, 6:24pm

I'm glad everyone likes.
No secret technique, nothing I'm claiming as mine, just thought I'd share for anyone who hadn't thought of it.

~:
~:

~:

Old 2012-09-09, 6:26pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Oh Nikki, what fun!! I have bags, boxes and a few coffee cans full. I never throw anything away it seems....LOL I'm definitely going to give this a try! Have you etched any? wonder how that would look. hmmmmm
thank you!!
sue

Old 2012-09-09, 6:53pm
What was I thinking?

Smile

Thanks Nikki!! I love it that the final bead has a kind of veiled cane look.

Old 2012-09-09, 7:00pm
I'm a lilac!

Pretty pretty and fun... and a really great way to relax at the torch on those days when you just don't feel inspired. Playing with the pretty glass often starts bringing inspiration to the forefront!

Old 2012-09-09, 8:42pm

Gretchen - Me, too. They're fun for bonus beads with packages - they're easy but still look great!
Kalera - it's totally, "Hmm, I don't know what to make next, I'll make one of these while my mind wanders" bead.

The tone's a bit more informal since I used it in my newsletter and liked enough to copy it here.

~:
~:

~:

Old 2012-09-09, 8:58pm

Thank you Nikki! My oldest granddaughter started making beads today. She has been watching since she was little and loves it. This is something she will love to make!

Old 2012-09-09, 9:51pm
Uh Oh....

Thanks Nikki!! What a great way to use up shorts.

Old 2012-09-10, 7:10pm

Cute idea. Thanks.
Old 2012-09-10, 8:16pm
Superkitty

Great idea, Nikki! Thanks! I think I might add a stripe of adventurine to it too.
Old 2012-09-10, 11:06pm
Smile, it's contagious!

looks fun! Thanks Nikki.

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2012-09-16, 5:06am

What a fun and easy technique Nikki - thank so much for sharing!
Old 2012-09-16, 7:32am

Thanks for the comments. I hope everyone has fun with it - I love the results, it's so easy anda good way to let your mind wander while figuring out what to make next!

~:
~:

~:

Old 2012-09-20, 3:09am

I just found this, thanks to a ref. in today's Gallery. Great! I have really cut down on my short lengths, since I got my greedy grabber from Arrow Springs. I have both sized, but absolutely love the smaller one.
Thanks so much for sharing this, Nikki! I've also been challenged by discs.
Happy creating,
ginger
Old 2012-09-22, 12:14pm
Practicing perfect

Very nice. Thank you for sharing. I was looking for something fun and random to do today.

Old 2012-09-22, 12:58pm
Mr Brutus RIP

I forgot to post mine in here! I made disks with the mix.
They are such fun, thank you Nikki!!!
Sue
Attached Images

Old 2012-09-23, 2:54pm
Formerly FishBulb

What a great idea! Thank you for the tutorial, I love it!

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2012-09-23, 3:10pm

Love the discs! Thanks for the fun words, I'm glad it's being used and enjoyed. I made a handful more last night, too.

~:
~:

~:

Old 2012-09-24, 9:59pm
Don't worry, bead happy!

Very cool! With my favorite walk-in glass store selling shorts for 10 cents an oz., I see many swirled whirled beads in my future! Yes, I "make" my own shorts too , but I still have to dig through their shorts when I go... Rubino shorts for 10 cents an oz.? Yes, please!

Thanks for sharing!
Old 2012-09-26, 6:56pm

Sweet deal, I'd take advantage, too!

~:
~:

~:

Old 2012-10-01, 2:02pm
Lover of all things color

Nikki, thanks so much for jogging my brain, sometimes the simplest things are so cool. I have tubs of shorts. Can't wait to go down and play around. Think I will go down now and sort out the transparent stuff.

Thanks

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2012-10-01, 2:40pm

Thanks for this Nikki as it looks like amazing fun and a good way for a newbie like me to play

There is a fix to every oops.
Old 2012-10-01, 3:17pm

I'm glad you both found it and like the idea - enjoy! Please share pics, I love seeing results.

~:
~:

~:

Old 2013-10-25, 4:46pm

Great idea! Thanks for sharing
Old 2013-10-25, 4:50pm

Blast from the past. Hope you enjoy!

~:
~:

~:

Old 2013-10-25, 5:25pm

I've been filling up my old coffee cans with shorts for a few years now this is a great idea. Thank you!

Tags
shorts, swirled whirled beads