Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Old 2010-01-26, 9:00am

Default cricket torch????

I need a new torch! rite now I have a 30$ hot head torch and its time to step it up and I have been looking around and found the gtt cricket torch it seems like a good one but I would like some input on it please!!
Old 2010-01-26, 10:03am
da General

It's an awesome torch especially if you are using a 5 lpm oxycon!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
Old 2010-01-26, 10:26am
The Andrea Half

LOve it love it love it! I have a Piranha, and the Cricket is *hotter* on oxycons, whether I link up one or two. Dogmaw had the same experience with her Betta.

Old 2010-01-26, 10:30am
Living out Loud

I really adore mine I have an oxycon and it works just great.!!

Old 2010-01-26, 11:17am

now if you dont have a oxycon and u use takns is it still good?
Old 2010-01-26, 11:24am
Disconnected

If you use tank, then you have all sorts of choice, and I would go for a Minor because it's the most versatile in my opinion. I have a Cricket on a 5 lpm oxycon, and although the flame is very very hot, it's also very narrow (I think it's called a "pinpoint" flame). The Mini CC is the complete opposite, very wide with tons of radiant heat. Like your Hot Head but much hotter, as in "can't bring your fingers too close" hotter. I didn't like it at all.
I was in a class recently where I got to use all 3 on tank, making the same type of bead each time (quite bigger than what I'm used to, but with some detail work) and found the Minor was my favorite.

Old 2010-01-26, 12:02pm
The Andrea Half

I*f you use a tank I would go to the Minor or to a Lynx.

Old 2010-01-26, 12:04pm
The Battle of Boro Boro

If you are on tanked...go with a bobcat!

Old 2010-01-26, 5:11pm
Alaska Boro

Have a Cricket for use with boro with one 5 LPM concentrator at 5.5 PSI. Works very nice. Mostly like it would do well for COE 104 or 90 soft glass. And the cost is reasonable. Have a mini CC also, but it is not as efficient as the GTT. i.e. takes more oxygen to make it run and 5 LPM is low for its needs.

However, for boro the Cricket is slow on the final melt down for beads in the 22 to 24 mm diameter range. Planning to upgrade to a Scorpion, Lynx or Phantom depending on oxygen needs. Will have three 5 LPM machines available so will see what shakes out of the woodwork. Could use bottled, but at $40 to $60 per fill, cost is prohibited.
Old 2010-01-27, 2:34am

Here in ny you can get a 220 oxy tank for the most $20 a fill, so don't let anyone scare you from using tanked oxy. I would start with a bobcat then move to a lynx when you become comfortable at the torch. I'm in ny too, if you need some help starting out feel free to pm me with questions, i even have a few used gtt's hoses and regulators.....good luck....
Old 2010-01-27, 8:33am
The Andrea Half

Do they come to you or do you have to cart the (full) cylinder across town in heavy traffic? That always makes me nervous in San Antonio, and has been something TOO scary here in ATL. Also, wrestling the tank into place is a pain for me. My sister's studio is up a small hill, and pulling the tank up using a dolly is NOT fun. My place is level, but the tank would have to go through the gate into the back yard, also a bit rough

Old 2010-01-27, 9:04am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Fills are much more than $20 here and they will not deliver into residential areas - AND you only get about 10 hours or so on a minor with a K tank.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-01-27, 9:32am
Dancing Moon Shadows

I have a Cricket too (and a 'Cuda). When my first oxy-con was in the shop, I had to use tanked oxy. It was sooooo HOT! I really had to adjust. AND the big thing was, I went thru one of those HUGE oxy tanks in 2-1/2 wks. On a "discount", the gas store charged $30 to fill that tank and I had to haul it home and set it up. UGH!

In comparison, it doesn't take long to pay off an oxy-con at that rate, with far less physical trauma!

[/b][/i][/font]
Old 2010-01-27, 1:49pm
Somewhat out there!

I also upgraded from a hothead to a cricket. I love it. At this time I am not at all ready to handle anything larger/hotter. Cricket is a wonderful torch. I use it with a 5lpm oxycon. Never tried it on tanked oxy.
Old 2010-01-27, 8:27pm
I think my raku is broken

I myself am going with a Cricket on an oxy con. The initial cost is only slightly higher on the oxy con if you get a good deal and consider the cost if the regulator which can add about $60 to $90 on the initial cost if the tank. I think the oxy con pays for itself after about 3 fills.

Old 2010-01-27, 9:19pm
bryntaran

I have a Cricket, (which I love) with an oxy con and run it on natural gas. Works great for me and is especially nice that it runs on natural gas so I don't have to "pay" for fuel, just my monthly heat bill which hasn't shown any change since I have had my torch.
Judy
Old 2010-02-06, 12:54pm
A Hot Piece of Glass

It sounds like the Cricket is a real winner for lots of folks...if you are going from a Hothead to a torch with a 5lpm concentrator, would you go with a Cricket or a Bobcat (thinking, buy as much torch as one can afford)?

Christine
STILL working on a HotHead since 2004...

Old 2010-02-06, 1:06pm
Covered in glitter

I LOVE my Cricket. I have a Bobcat and a Minor too and I always go for the Cricket. I've got a Scorpion on the way and I'm guessing I'm going to love it just as much.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2010-02-08, 5:57am
Christine

I have a cricket with oxycon and NG - and I love it . I went from a Minor to the Cricket and it took me awhile to figure out the adjustment but once I go it I was good to go --- I like the fact you can get a nice pinpoint flame. I don't us it much for Boro....

Old 2010-02-08, 7:01am
Miss my BoBo Griff

Ariemarie
the real question is what do you plan on doing with it? Are you going to be/stay on tanked oxy or use a concentrator? What kind of glass work are you/do you plan on doing? How large do you want to go? What type of glass are you/do you use? We can give you much better advice as to the type of torch to get with more information. That being said if you know what you want to do and have any larger studios in your area go and see if you can try some torches out before you buy.
chrisann

Old 2010-02-08, 6:01pm
Alaska Boro

Useing the Cricket for boro beads. It really comes alive with two concentrators at 9 PSI and 5 LPM per machine. Used one 5.5 PSI machine at 5 LPM and there is no comparison. Now have to work farther out in the flame with the increased LPM. Bet that the new Scorpion will be a nice upgrade with the outer flame availability.
Old 2010-02-10, 10:03am

Well I want to be able to make small flowers and spots and and stuff like that... ok um I plan on staying on tanked oxy. I use soft glass and I do not plan on making anything to much bigger than a quarter..I am a 20 year old who is just doing this out of my kitchen as a hobby so I really do not want to send like a to big amount of money on a torch..and there is not any studios around were I live
Old 2010-02-10, 11:43am
Disconnected

Thanks Alaska, that's good to know

Old 2010-02-13, 7:14pm
Miss my BoBo Griff

Ariemarie,
From your response this is what I would advise. Buy a minor IMO it is one of the best all around torches on the market and it is also one of the least expensive. It can take a beating and keep on kicking (so to speak) runs great on tanks, is not an oxygen hog and also will run great on a concentrator if you ever decide to go that route. You can do almost anything on a minor and wale has it on sale right now http://www.waleapparatus.com/catalog...showprevnext=1 all the torches hold their value as long as they are in good shape but if you want inexpensive, versatile, and can get it right now this is the way I would go. Hope this helps you. In my studio I have a 9yo minor (still works great, my first torch) a Barracuda, cricket, mini cc, and a mini milon I also had a lynx which I sold when I bought the cuda.
chrisann

Old 2010-02-13, 7:22pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Minors are workhorses, no question, but a cricket is about the same price or even less if they are both brand new and if you are using a single 5 lpm oxycon, the cricket is hotter.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-02-13, 7:28pm
Disconnected

Hotter, yes, in a laser beam kind of way. If I were on tanked O2 I would definitely go for a Minor because of its versatility.

Old 2010-02-13, 8:33pm
Miss my BoBo Griff

Squid, she said she was staying on a tank that is why I rec the minor. If she was going to a concentrator off the bat I would rec a cricket but on a tank I still think the minor is more versatile JMO.
chrisann

Old 2010-02-13, 8:37pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I agree - I missed the tanked part - the minor will be better on tanked.

I doubt you will stay on tanked long though - I have heard people complain they only got about 10 hours on a K tank on a minor.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-02-14, 10:04am
Covered in glitter

I use the cricket on tanked oxy and I still like it better than the Minor or the Bobcat. I do boro on it with no problem.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2010-02-14, 11:01am

I switched from the hothead to the cricket.
I *hated* the minor when I tried it (and I *did* use it for 3 days in a class--I gave it plenty of chance to "impress me"--it didn't do it--at ALL)
On *tanked* I the mini cc (but it just doesn't like running on one oxycon )
*if* tanked was an option, I'd have both a mini cc & my cricket, but it's not, so, I have a cricket--and I the cricket!!!
You CAN get a somewhat "fluffy" flame from the cricket--you just need to learn to adjust it up! it's a sweet little torch.
It also works lovely on tanked (that's what they use @ Playing With Fire Studios! in Rockland Maine )
I wouldn't part with my cricket for anything....(and you can't beat the price--it's just a sweet, sweet little torch!)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies