Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-02-01, 8:39pm

Default Double Helix Clio and Kalypso Problems

When I saw the picture of what Clio and Kalypso were supposed to look like after striking, I bought a bunch...fool that I am.

Now, after following striking techniques to the letter, trying different flames, longer striking time, shorter striking time, longer cooling, shorter cooling....I've wasted a lot of gas with absolutely no results that come close to the pictures.

What am I doing wrong? What have I missed? What have I not tried? I feel like I've hit a wall! LITERALLY! Please Help!
Thanks,
g
Old 2011-02-01, 8:50pm
Life is change. Love it

These are reduction colours they don't need much striking.

Here's what I would advise. Make a tiny bead of silver glass and roll it into a tube shape. Bring it back into a neutral flame and you will see it strike and get a metallic layer. Encase in clear and pop in the kiln. This glass does not need to be worked, the longer you work it the more over-reduction you will get.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-02-01, 8:51pm

I can only get Clio to strike over silver foil. Seriously, nothing happens unless it's over silver foil, very weird!

Kalypso - I don't even do anything special, really, just heat and reduce. But if you heat it too much it will go beigey ick.

Last edited by truegem; 2011-02-01 at 8:55pm.
Old 2011-02-01, 8:51pm

Gracie, I was having the same problems as you are with kalypso. I haven't tried Clio yet. You might get a lot of help or info on a thread I started called Crying Uncle! It's all about kalypso. Carolyn M, Demsel, Emoon and a few others had a lot of good advice for me even showing me pics. Carolyn even gave me some practice steps to take. It really helped me altho Im far from top yet but Im ppping (sounds funny I know)

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=184775
Here's the link - hope it helps!

LynieG
Old 2011-02-01, 8:52pm
Life is change. Love it

You beat me to it Lynie!

Old 2011-02-01, 8:53pm
Life is change. Love it

Patti, it is lovely over silver foil, I just made a set today!

Old 2011-02-01, 8:54pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn M View Post
These are reduction colours they don't need much striking.

Here's what I would advise. Make a tiny bead of silver glass and roll it into a tube shape. Bring it back into a neutral flame and you will see it strike and get a metallic layer. Encase in clear and pop in the kiln. This glass does not need to be worked, the longer you work it the more over-reduction you will get.
Carolyn, a neutral flame? Are you saying don't reduce?
Thanks, Patti

Old 2011-02-01, 8:56pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn M View Post
You beat me to it Lynie!

LynieG
Old 2011-02-01, 8:58pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegem View Post
I can only get Clio to strike over silver foil. Seriously, nothing happens unless it's over silver foil, very weird!

Kalypso - I don't even do anything special, really, just heat and reduce. But if you heat it too much it will go beigey ick.
This is AWESOME

LynieG
Old 2011-02-01, 9:22pm
Lampworkaholic!

I reduce and encase. This is Clio over Effetre 14K encased with Clarity.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-02-01, 11:02pm
Bead maker and bead buyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegem View Post
Carolyn, a neutral flame? Are you saying don't reduce?
Thanks, Patti
Both Clio and Kalypso (and Aurae) tend to get reduction effects even in a neutral flame. That's why they're so easy to over reduce.

Using a neutral flame is a good way to make sure you don't accidentally over reduce it with a reduction flame, and it's an easy way to get the least amount of reduction in your tests.

I do it slightly different though. I work it as little as possible, then get it hot enough to burn off any haze that might be on the Kalypso, then a brief roll in a medium reduction flame, and encase.
Old 2011-02-02, 1:35pm

My goodness that's beautiful! Thanks so much for your advise and sharing.
g
Old 2011-02-02, 1:37pm

Thanks, I'm going to give it a shot! I really appreciate all the advise and ideas. Wish me luck!
Old 2011-02-02, 5:26pm
I like to melt things

I super-heat the bead until it's hard to keep the glass on the mandrel, then let it cool outside the flame until it's really cold, then turn up my propane for a reduction flame and give the bead a couple of turns in that, turn my flame back down and encase, keeping the bead out of the flame but warm while applying the clear.

This is Clio over Opal Yellow, encased with Reichenbach Crystal.

I'm not positive, but I think I remember this one being Clio over Copper Green, encased with Reichenbach Crystal. It's amazing the difference the base colour makes.

This one is Clio over Mojito, encased with Reichenbach Crystal.

-
-
Old 2011-02-02, 5:41pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oenone View Post
I super-heat the bead until it's hard to keep the glass on the mandrel, then let it cool outside the flame until it's really cold, then turn up my propane for a reduction flame and give the bead a couple of turns in that, turn my flame back down and encase, keeping the bead out of the flame but warm while applying the clear.

This is Clio over Opal Yellow, encased with Reichenbach Crystal.

I'm not positive, but I think I remember this one being Clio over Copper Green, encased with Reichenbach Crystal. It's amazing the difference the base colour makes.

This one is Clio over Mojito, encased with Reichenbach Crystal.
These are awesome!

LynieG
Old 2011-02-02, 5:46pm
I like to melt things

Thanks!

I just had a brainwave (or brain fart... I'll know when I try to reproduce the colour) but the one I said might be Clio over Copper Green could also be Clio over Slytherin over Opal Yellow. The truth is, I don't remember because it was a while ago. The other two are for sure right though

-
-
Old 2011-02-03, 1:55am

Thank you Lynie!
Thank you Damselfly, for the response to my question!

Old 2011-02-03, 12:32pm

Welcome Patti - Hope it helped!

LynieG