No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-11-15, 8:43am
Chief Creative Goddess

Default Help--kiln not hot!

HELP!! My Orton AutoFire Express AIM BD94 kiln turns on, lights up and clicks as usual--but it is NOT getting hot. Thanks for any insights, directions, contacts, etc!

(My damn garage door won't work either this past week so I am a little bonkers)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2015-11-15, 9:20am

Are you getting any error codes on the controler either when you start the program or when you plug it in?

With the kiln unpluged do a visually inspect the plugs, wires, element, and thermocoupler.

Usually its the relay, element, or thermocoupler.
Contacting Aim or the kiln retailer may help.

Old 2015-11-15, 10:23am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie Mae View Post
HELP!! My Orton AutoFire Express AIM BD94 kiln turns on, lights up and clicks as usual--but it is NOT getting hot. Thanks for any insights, directions, contacts, etc!

(My damn garage door won't work either this past week so I am a little bonkers)
Could be a relay. A dead relay will still click - it just doesn't close the circuit.
Old 2015-11-15, 11:21am
Chief Creative Goddess

That's what I was thinking too Dusty--the relay. All the rest seems normal. Gah! Oh course it is on a Sunday---left message with AIM--hope I hear from them on Monday. Thanks everyone

Old 2015-11-15, 1:42pm
Phill

Check the fuse.

Sometimes there is a separate one for the element heater line.
Old 2015-11-20, 9:46am
KILN BUILDIN FOOL

If it lights up and you here the relay click as normal, sounds like an element.

When you tell lie's about someone, well you get what you get.
Old 2015-11-20, 10:06am
Chief Creative Goddess

HUGE shout out to Pablo and Brad at AIMS Kilns!! I drove down there, Pablo interrupted his lunch and fixed it, while Brad was in constant email contact (not knowing I was driving there!) Cpmpletely fixed and done in 5 minutes (my drive was 45 minutes each way!)
And for everyone who wonders what the problem was--it WAS the Relay--a $34 part! Brad mentioned it was a relay issue in about 90% of all problems he see with kilns....of course after I got home I thought "I should have gotten another relay"--but after 4 years of zero problems, I am going to trust my trusty little AIM kiln....and besides, these folk were nice to see and chat with!
Thanks for everyone who chimed in, and I hope this helps anyone who may have a problem with their kiln to check the cheap relay first! And also here's a great reason to buy your next kiln from AIM Kilns--fantastic customer service!!