Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-07-18, 2:25pm

Default clear stringer turned green

I purchased a few sample packs of glass last year and have just now gotten around to pulling out some of the colors. I used one of the clear stringers this weekend and all 3 of the beads turned this amazing electric green. I could see while I was making them that this was happening and went with it. On the end of the stringer now, I can see that it's a green tint. I'd love to buy some more...any ideas on what this might have been? or was it a fluke?
Old 2010-07-18, 3:01pm

It might help if you could take a picture of the rod and post it. We have some whizzes on here at identifying glass.... I'm not one of them, I'm afraid!

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2010-07-18, 3:17pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

sounds like one of the silver glasses - but yeah, a pic would help!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-07-18, 3:48pm
Dangerous Woman

Was it Bullseye?

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2010-07-18, 4:26pm
Lampworkaholic!

Zeus maybe?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-07-19, 2:14pm
Glass-aholic

I am thinking you are using T-069 stringer, depending on your base the reaction could appear green. this is the transparent uranium striking yellow, also emits a green soda flare. really neat stuff! I have it in stringer and rod, LOVE IT. I just encased a cobalt blue and white dotted pandora bead, and it looks like lime green, mountain dew color to be more precise! lol!!! I used the t-069.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2010-07-19, 5:46pm

I've been trying to get my camera to take a non-blurry picture of the beads and haven't had any luck. That's the next project to tackle Jaci, I think you are totally right! "Mountain Dew" is the best description! On one bead, it's more of that bright yellow. Another, it has swirls of green and yellow. I'm on a hothead and didn't think I could get striking colors to work, so that's pretty exciting. I'm still relatively new to glass.
Old 2010-07-19, 6:56pm

Sounds like a striking colour to me, but if it's ALL electric green I doubt it's silver glass.

Old 2010-07-19, 7:31pm
She's Back & Burnin'

It sounds really cool! transparent uranium striking yellow??? I didn't know there was such a color. Who makes it?

Sara

Old 2010-07-19, 7:40pm
It's all about the color.

I'm guessing that she's talking about Effetre 069 Electric/Striking Yellow. I've done extensive work with this color.
http://www.listen-up.org/kitty/beads/069yellow.htm

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2010-07-19, 7:49pm
And silence is golden

I am tending to agree with Kay here. 069 Electric Yellow. Mountain Dew, what a funny description. Actually I think I would love to have a glass that color. I do have Electric Yellow. One of my favorite colors!
Old 2010-07-19, 8:05pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheston View Post
I'm on a hothead and didn't think I could get striking colors to work, so that's pretty exciting.
Effetre striking Yellow, Orange, and Red all work with a HotHead. Although I do have and use a Cricket (dual gas torch), I still consider my primary torch to be a HotHead.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2010-07-20, 12:03am

Hi
I had this happen when I first started flaming in 2005. I had some stringers which I thought were clear. I was making a striped bead (the kind where you put the dots and put encasing on and the dots were pulled into stripes). As I was melting the clear down it looked kind of hazy. When I took it out of the flame the clear ended up being a neon greenish yellow. It was not Morreti striking yellow or orange. I had bought some stringers on ebay and thats where it came from. It's a neat color but I can't which is which. There is no Tint , it looks clear? It is also Transluesent . The color is not transparent.
penny5658

Last edited by penny5658; 2010-07-20 at 12:07am. Reason: more info
Old 2010-12-15, 8:37pm

Sorry guys, I kind of forgot to post pics. I'm not sure how to do it on here, but here's the link to the etsy listing for the bead with the clear that turned neon green:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/55483009...ref=v1_other_2

I'm really hoping someone can point me in the right direction, I'd love to get some more of it but don't know what it is? The stringer prior to use was completely clear, no tint whatsoever. After use, the very tip is kind of a transparent yellow. Any ideas??
Old 2010-12-15, 10:18pm

I still think it's Striking Yellow.

Old 2010-12-16, 1:01pm
Glass-aholic

Me too.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2010-12-16, 2:50pm
all for the love of glass

yep..I would bow to Kay here on this striking yellow..another old and fun glass to play with!

"Do not worry about your originality. You could not get rid of it even if you wanted to." -- Robert Henri.
Old 2010-12-18, 7:15am
Mary Lockwood

I agree with Kay...electric yellow.

Old 2010-12-20, 6:28pm

Thank you!!! Now I just need to get some more to try out.