Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-02-20, 1:07pm

Default What kind of dremel do you use?

Dremels seem to be the "go-to" tool for cleaning bead holes, filing burrs, etc., but I'm lost when I look at their web site. I'm assuming I want a "rotary" tool, but do you like cordless or corded? What kind of accessories do you use?
I'd appreciate any feedback that people have.
Thanks,
Peggy
Old 2012-02-20, 1:27pm
Ancient Primate

I use a flexible shaft grinder with a separate motor. Being cheap I use this from Harbor Freight. There are equivalents from nearly everybody
Old 2012-02-20, 1:31pm
specializing in obnoxious

I use a cordless dremel to clean mine. I also own a craftsman rotary tool with a flex shaft. It is lighter and would be easier on my wrist but the cordless is more convenient so it is the one I always use. Plus, since I'm using it over a sink full of water, I feel safer without it being plugged in.

__Go Big, or Go Home!__

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-02-20, 2:04pm

Flex shaft, got tired of dremels breaking down

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#C-151
Old 2012-02-20, 2:16pm
Alaska Boro

Have had good luck with this one....

Old 2012-02-20, 2:30pm

I use a cordless one also, it was purchased 10 years ago, it came with a nice case and it easy to hang on to. I also use it over a container of water.

Old 2012-02-20, 3:42pm

Location: Loving Bermuda, dreaming of Africa and looking forward to Maine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska View Post
Have had good luck with this one....

Ditto ... I second this one. Has a charging base, Small, light recommend! Charge lasts quite a while! I have had mine sitting in the basement since Oct (not been used since then as I've had to pack up my studio for the moment) but it hasn't lost it's charge yet!!
Old 2012-02-20, 6:12pm
one day at a time

Always a cordless, since you must clean beads in water. I know some people use an electric one, but don't do it. I have had my Dremel MultiPro for 8 years now, and it's just starting to give me trouble and soon I will have to replace it. But 8 years and working full time cleaning hundreds of beads a week most of the time, that's amazing.

Go with the Dremel MultiPro cordless. You can get it here:

http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-15-Mult...9786236&sr=8-1

I just wrote a review that was long overdue, and of course, I gave it 5 stars!

It has a few bad reviews, but just ignore them because most of the users expected a lot of power out of a small tool. But it's perfect for glass beads.

Last edited by Lisi; 2012-02-20 at 6:14pm.
Old 2012-02-20, 8:03pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonwoodStudio View Post
Ditto ... I second this one. Has a charging base, Small, light recommend! Charge lasts quite a while! I have had mine sitting in the basement since Oct (not been used since then as I've had to pack up my studio for the moment) but it hasn't lost it's charge yet!!
Me three! I affectionately call it "the Cricket." Remember the "alien"gun that Will Smith used in the movie Men in Black that was so small...but that packed a punch?

I like this one because my hand does not get as tired as other dremels because it is small and the grip is more comfortable and natural, plus the charge holds for a LONG time.
-Kristy
Old 2012-02-20, 8:56pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baywinger View Post
Flex shaft, got tired of dremels breaking down
Same here.
Old 2012-02-20, 9:29pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousglass View Post
I use a cordless dremel to clean mine. I also own a craftsman rotary tool with a flex shaft. It is lighter and would be easier on my wrist but the cordless is more convenient so it is the one I always use. Plus, since I'm using it over a sink full of water, I feel safer without it being plugged in.
I agree. I will probably get flamed for this and they can flame away, I don't care. I just can't believe anyone would think it's okay to use a corded tool in water. Why take that chance? What if it has a short??

Recently, my husband threw away a grinder I was using to smooth down the ends of cut mandrels. It was giving me little shocks when I was touching the housing part of it. That's a short.
Old 2012-02-20, 9:49pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonwoodStudio View Post
Yep - that's the one that I use too.
It works well with my weak wrist (post-tendonitis-surgery).

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2012-02-20, 10:30pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Jack

Old 2012-02-21, 3:58am
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

I use a flex shaft. Maybe I am cleaning my beads incorrectly but, I don't actually submerse any part of the tool in water. My beads are all soaking in bowl of water sitting in my desk a little before I start cleaning. I grab a bead and start working the foredom bit in the hole. The bead is wet and I dip it multiple times and the bead never gets warm at all. It's such amazingly quick work it just takes not time at all to clean out the crud. Actually, if you clean it TOO well, you're actually grinding it it and making the hole bigger (not that I have done that ).

It's quick in and quick out. Like... Maybe five seconds per bead. You don't need to submerse the tool at all. Water never even splashes up on my handpiece. I haven't had a bead crack yet.

Am I doing it wrong?
Old 2012-02-21, 9:26am

Thanks everyone! I've been using a battery powered bead reamer from Beadsmith (and yes, I clean them in the water), and it works great for just cleaning the beads. But I wanted a little more flexibility to do things like sand a sharp edge...or even put slots in my marvers. All this advice was helpful.
Peggy
Old 2012-02-21, 12:16pm

A corded tool is fine as long as you use a flexshaft. There is no electricity in a flexshaft.
Old 2012-02-21, 1:44pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Just so Monica doesn't think she's the only one doing this, I'll put my "Me too!" in here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownGirl View Post
I use a flex shaft. Maybe I am cleaning my beads incorrectly but, I don't actually submerse any part of the tool in water. My beads are all soaking in bowl of water sitting in my desk a little before I start cleaning. I grab a bead and start working the foredom bit in the hole. The bead is wet and I dip it multiple times and the bead never gets warm at all. It's such amazingly quick work it just takes not time at all to clean out the crud. Actually, if you clean it TOO well, you're actually grinding it it and making the hole bigger (not that I have done that ).

It's quick in and quick out. Like... Maybe five seconds per bead. You don't need to submerse the tool at all. Water never even splashes up on my handpiece. I haven't had a bead crack yet.

Am I doing it wrong?

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-02-21, 10:00pm
dances with ideas...

I've got a corded Dremel with a flexshaft. Great gift from DH many years ago! The only real accessory I have is a drill press. Love it! You can use it for drill-press things, or you can use it to hold your Dremel (without flex) stationary so it can serve as a mini grinder. Good, clean fun!