TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Old 2010-01-06, 6:19pm
Senior Moment

Thanks for the info. I won a scorpion back in October and I guess I'm just being impatient!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-01-06, 10:41pm
Boro Dad

I got this back from GTT:

The Scorpion will get the most out of your concentrators that you can possibly get. There are too many variables in concentrators to be able to tell what percentage of the torches capability you are going to get out of them. We tested the Scorpion on 2 Devilbiss 5 LPM 8 PSI machines and got 95% of the torches flame. The 100% that you saw on the website is that it is a 100% surface mix design. The Scorpion will work the tube and rod you use with no problem as long as the concentrators are capable of supplying 90% +.

The tubing and rod I asked about was 38mm x 4.0 and 22mm rod
Old 2010-01-08, 6:54am

Hi I haven't been here on a LE for a long time, but when I was searching Yesterday for info and reviews for the new GTT scorpion torch I ended up here. I asked GTT some info about the torch to find out if this torch would be the right choise for me with my settup and for what I want to do in future. maybe it is of some help for some of you so here are my questions and the answers from GTT

this is what I wrote:
Hi,

I have seen the scorpion torch on your website, I like the idea of not needing tanked oxigen. I have been looking around for torch info for quit some time,.

I started out with beadwork on a hothead, than nortel minor bench, now a mini cc because of the radiant heat at the side of the flame when doing sculptural work with soft glass, I just started working with boro sculptural (max about 4 inches) and tubing this summer but my mini cc is too small for the size work I want to do in future (goblets max end result diameter 3 inches, height about 8 inches with sculptured stem, maybe marble work max 2 inches)

I do have both propane and natural gas and 4 5lpm oxygen concentrators. no tanked oxygen.

so my quistions:

1. Is this torch suitable for the work I want to do in future and if yes is this the max of this torch or has it more potential in size of work. (what is the max) without the use of tanked oxygen and with tanked oxygen ( or does it make no difference if you use tanked or concentrator oxygen presure wise)

2. I know propane gets hotter than natural gas but can I do the boro work that size on natural gas on this torch?

3. I red the flame width 1 1/4 inches, is this the max diameter of a neutral flame on this torch? (in other words what is the "and more" you tell about on the site)

4. I red somewhere about the lynx and the bobcat that when you use a small flame for detail work the inner work of those torches get dirty fast with carbon how about this torch?

6. what is the benefit of a 4 stud against a 2 stud torch? I have quick connects for 2 stud is it possible to put on a splitters to operate the 4 stud torch or do I need 2 connections for gas and 2 connections for oxygen?

7. what is the size of the hose I need? to connect the torch?

5. Is the scorpion available yet and what are the total costs when sending it to the Netherlands?

and their answer:
Hello Jacky,

The torch is capable of the size of work you described and larger depending on your skill level. The torch will be able to reach 95% of its capability on 3 of your 5 LPM concentrators as long as the concentrators are delivering. The natural gas will be able to work the sizes you described, but to go much bigger will probably require the propane to be used. The flame width can be manipulated by the valves on the torch to have a sharp shoulder or can be made bushy for blowing. Depending on the setting the flame width will vary and can be made to go wider than 1 ¼” and still maintain a neutral flame. The Lynx and Bobcat do not carbon unless the torch is run soft and bushy, when a small detail flame is run the torches do not carbon but it will show if the torch was run improperly prior to the small flame. The Scorpion also does not carbon unless the torch is run improperly. The 4 stud can be used with a foot pedal or different concentrators or oxygen sources. The torch can be Y’d together and used with the quick connects. The hose size is ¼” inside diameter. The Scorpion is still in production and should be available in the next few weeks. Shipping costs should be about $60.00 US to the Netherlands.
Thanks,
Josh

I'm still doubting if I should order this torch especially after reading about the constand delay of delivery. If anyone here can ad something to help me make up my mind I would be very greatfull!

thanks Jacky
Old 2010-01-18, 7:55am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary K View Post
I have one on order, was hoping for getting it for Christmas, now I'm hoping for my Birthday, which is in May. Oh well, I have a Lynx and a Regalia, so I am already happy,
just looking for a wider flame.
Which Christmas?

Greg

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 2010-01-20, 4:33pm

Hi there all Im new to this forum but wanted to join because it seems like a great place to meet and have discussions with some of my fellow lampworkers.

My first question is in regards to GTT and the new scorpion torch. Correct me if im wrong but Im guessing Kimberly works directly with the fellas at GTT. So, Kimberly I guess this question is for you I ordered a scorpion on the first of December of last year. I never got a confirmation to my order so I called GTT to make sure they got it. The secretary (cant recall her name at this moment) said that all my info for the order was in the computer and that Willy and Wally are working on it. She could not, however, tell me when it would be ready.

So my question is: how long does it normally take for people to get the torch after the order is put through...and also...why the long wait? Why would they put this cool new torch on the market and not have a supply for the demand? I really really REALLY want my torch already! Thanks so much for any info, its much appreciated! -Ben
Old 2010-01-20, 5:52pm
Booger #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTGlassProductions View Post
Hi there all Im new to this forum but wanted to join because it seems like a great place to meet and have discussions with some of my fellow lampworkers.

My first question is in regards to GTT and the new scorpion torch. Correct me if im wrong but Im guessing Kimberly works directly with the fellas at GTT. So, Kimberly I guess this question is for you I ordered a scorpion on the first of December of last year. I never got a confirmation to my order so I called GTT to make sure they got it. The secretary (cant recall her name at this moment) said that all my info for the order was in the computer and that Willy and Wally are working on it. She could not, however, tell me when it would be ready.

So my question is: how long does it normally take for people to get the torch after the order is put through...and also...why the long wait? Why would they put this cool new torch on the market and not have a supply for the demand? I really really REALLY want my torch already! Thanks so much for any info, its much appreciated! -Ben
Good question! Many of us got on the wait list last summer and everyone is still waiting! Any idea of when shipping will happen? All along we have heard maybe the middle of the month, or early next month and here it is 6+ months later and we are all still waiting. I would be happy to have a definitive shipping date even if it was several months away, but to be strung along month after month is beginning to get a little old

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-01-20, 6:00pm
Bead Obsessed

Has anybody actually received one yet? Perhaps they jumped the gun and have returned to the drawing board. Maybe it's just a myth?

Old 2010-01-20, 6:12pm
Booger #7

Nope...they have not released any of them yet from what I've heard.

Old 2010-01-20, 6:14pm
Booger #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SELSEY View Post
Has anybody actually received one yet? Perhaps they jumped the gun and have returned to the drawing board. Maybe it's just a myth?

You know even that would be fine...to say, "hey we have given it extensive testing and there are still some tweaks to be made and we are holding the release for 6 months or whatever" Just more concrete answers and communication would be appreciated though!

Old 2010-01-20, 6:44pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Kimberly does not work for GTT, but she is married to one of the owners.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-01-20, 6:53pm
Dangerous Woman

I don't think they are a big company. Like Willy and Wally and just a couple of other workers.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2010-01-20, 11:25pm

I talked to GTT and they should be calling within the next week to the first people on the list to get credit card info. It sounds like it will be soon. I can't wait. I know I am at the top of the list.
Old 2010-01-21, 10:08am

Well...thanks for the response everyone. Its very hard to believe that some people have been waiting since this last summer...this is a BIG red flag for me. What if in the future i have a problem with my scorpion- that is IF i ever get one- and i send it in for service? Are these seemingly lackadaisical GTT fellas goin' to take half a year to get my torch back to me? I lampwork for a living so, yeah waiting for a torch to get back to me would make me very grumpy.

Maybe I should go look at the torches simax is making... Im pretty sure that they have a good supply of their torches before they put them up for sale.

And perhaps Willy and Wally should move their operations to Portland OR. Seems as thought they would fit right in with the vast majority of "ho hum, ill do it tomorrow" types here...

or perhaps Im just being grumpy and need to have more patience... not really sure how some of you, who have been waiting for soooo long, have remained cool and calm about this... I guess what im getting to is: IS THIS TORCH WORTH THE WAIT? or should i cancel my order and give my hard earned money to a company that can deliver the goods?
Old 2010-01-21, 10:16am
Flaming Redhead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTGlassProductions View Post
... I guess what im getting to is: IS THIS TORCH WORTH THE WAIT? or should i cancel my order and give my hard earned money to a company that can deliver the goods?
I can't speak for this particular torch as I've not worked on one...however, ANY torch from GTT is worth the wait. I waited 6 months for my Cheetah, and yeh I was chomping at the bit to get it...and when I did get it? Definitely worth the wait!

A thing of beauty is a joy forever: its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness.
- John Keats
Old 2010-01-21, 9:06pm

Ditto what Alex said. Although I'm chomping at the bit to get my Scorpion, I know it will be worth the wait. GTT could definitely be more responsive to the consumer regarding information, but their torches rock.

Angela Kane

-One of a kind boro frit blends!
Old 2010-01-21, 9:12pm
Dangerous Woman

Another GTT lover here too.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2010-01-21, 9:13pm
Covered in glitter

I have a Cricket and a Bobcat and wouldn't trade either of them for anything! I have a Scorpion on order and feel that it's worth the wait.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2010-01-21, 9:16pm
In search of her path....

Im just really frusterated ive written several times for some info and never got a response and im in school and need my equipment to produce work and its not available...so im having to explore other options right now even though id really really like to get the scorpion. grumbles

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2010-01-21, 10:26pm

I worked on the prototype Scorpion at the Gathering last summer, loved it, and will patiently wait until GTT is ready to release them. GTT makes the best torches I have ever used. Willy/Wally are perfectionists and once they release the Scorpion I am sure I will be extremely happy with it and it will certainly be worth the wait.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2010-01-22, 4:07am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

I've been waiting for my scorpion since July of last year as well. I am willing to wait BUT I would appreciate it if GTT would send out a bit of information regarding the delay to the people who ordered one. Nothing gets to me worse then lack of communication.

Does anyone know when the release date is going to be? I sent a couple of emails last year and I was told: november, half december, around christmas and the first week of januari..so when is it gonna be?

Old 2010-01-22, 5:10am

I have no idea, Suzanne. The way I think, they will let me know when they feel it is ready to go and until then it isn't perfect, so I will wait. Of course I am perfectly happy with my Cheetah, so it makes it easier, I guess.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2010-01-22, 8:26am
traumaqueen

I'll wait as well, it's not like I have no torch to work on ( two bobcats ) and I love my gtt torches, I used to own a lynx as well so I know it will be worth the wait

Old 2010-01-23, 8:25pm
Flamewoman

Don't get me wrong, GTT is the only torch I want in my studio, but something must
be terribly wrong with the scorpion, or it would be out by now.
Kimberly...if you read this thread...can you find out what is up? I have one
on order as well. I am beginning to wonder if anyone will ever get one,
or at least why they are not shipping them?

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2010-01-23, 8:54pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I doubt anything is wrong - I expect it is merely a production delay. A part came in wrong or didn't come in at all - something like that. I doubt seriously it is a design problem.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-01-23, 9:04pm
Covered in glitter

I'm not sure why you'd assume that there was a problem just because it's taking a while to come out. I think that GTT has a history of it taking longer than expected to get things out. I'm more than willing to wait because I have a Cricket and a Bobcat and love them both. I already love my Scorpion and I don't even have it yet.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2010-01-23, 10:54pm

I paid for my scorpion on Friday. It should ship this coming week. I know that I was one of the first to order. I place my order just as soon as Kimberly posted here on the forum. They stated that they were starting at the top of the list and calling for payment information. Look forward to getting a call soon!!
Old 2010-01-25, 2:12pm
Boro Dad

That's great! I wonder if they are planning on making a larger torch with this same technology.
Old 2010-01-25, 4:23pm
GlassDocNC

Woo Hoo! I got a call today too! Torches shipping soon! Yay!
Old 2010-01-26, 12:21am
traumaqueen

Off to mail them, I ordered one as soon as they came out and I've heard nothing so far.

Old 2010-01-26, 12:37am
traumaqueen

yeah! I received a mail regarding my order!!! whootwhoot!! I can't wait for my torch to arrive!