Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2019-02-17, 9:33am

Default bead release

I've been on a torch hiatus for five years and ready to get back at it. What bead release is everyone using?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"She said she cried at least once a day, not because she was sad, but because the world is so beautiful and life is so short" Brian Andreas
Old 2019-02-17, 4:13pm
Phill

I am fond of Foster Fire Smooth and Tough.
Old 2019-02-17, 6:04pm

Thanks. I’ll give it a try.

"She said she cried at least once a day, not because she was sad, but because the world is so beautiful and life is so short" Brian Andreas
Old 2019-02-18, 6:23pm
Phill

She sells a sample size too.
Old 2019-02-19, 1:46pm

My fave is the K.R.A.G. Mudd bead release from www.kittrellriffkind.com. You have to actually call them up and order a bottle and it's not the cheapest, but it's worth it.
Old 2019-02-20, 6:47pm

I love Fusion. Holds well, and cleaning is a breeze. Most of the bead release comes out just by swiping your beads up and down the mandrel swiftly under water. Rest of the release comes off the mandrel with a swipe of your fingers. I tried another brand once, but had to really spend extra time scrubbing the mandrels... I don't have time or patience for that.

follow me on Instagram @tinkercreekcreations
Old 2019-02-21, 8:15am

I use Fusion for long beads, big hole beads, and specialty mandrels. I use DipNGo Blue Sludge for beads I am going to press or use in a roller. Fusion releases the beads better, but breaks easier, for me. DipNGo holds up for me in the presses, but is harder to get the beads off the mandrel. I keep separate little buckets that are labeled. I hate bead release.

I always try to get sample sizes now if I want to try a new one. I have given away soooo many releases that did not work for me.
Old 2019-03-06, 6:36am
Formally ZiggyS

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeveria View Post
SNIP:
I always try to get sample sizes now if I want to try a new one. I have given away soooo many releases that did not work for me.
Great idea! Wish I had read this or thought of it myself before ordering some new release.

Has anyone tried using kiln wash as bead release? I read about in a book by the seller of Hot Head torches, Cindy Jenkins I believe. I have a ton of it so guess I should just try it.
Old 2019-03-06, 6:42pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaS View Post
Great idea! Wish I had read this or thought of it myself before ordering some new release.

Has anyone tried using kiln wash as bead release? I read about in a book by the seller of Hot Head torches, Cindy Jenkins I believe. I have a ton of it so guess I should just try it.
I have. It broke very quickly. I thought maybe adding some graphite but never tried it, just gave up and bought more Fusion.

Old 2019-03-06, 9:31pm
dances with ideas...

For years I have been using a mix of Foster Fire and 2 or 3 others. The composition changes a bit over time but it has always worked well for me, using 104. I have no idea why. YMMV, but it might be worthwhile mixing.

Old 2019-03-07, 9:35am
Ad astra per aspera

I've been using a 50/50 mix of Fusion and Fosterfire for about 12 years. Holds well even with twisting and pushing, cleans easily, and even tolerates boro beads. It's a bit sensitive to humidity changes and can flake as a result, so I try to use mandrels within 24 hours of dipping and maintain a fairly stable temperature. I only have issues if I dip in my house, then travel to a studio space the next day. When I had a home studio I never had problems. New studio ready (hopefully) next week!

Old 2019-03-07, 5:06pm
Slogan Challenged...

Welcome back!
I use Alices with....currently blue sludge. Alice's is great for everything, good price and smells good

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2019-03-09, 10:11pm

Dip and Go Sludge for me -

Handmade Murrini Chips, Glass Beads, & Lampwork Tutorials