No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-07-14, 1:12pm
berry lady

Talking Here's how to remove silvery haze from Moretti Black

I've run across an annoying problem this spring regarding "fuming" or "hazing" of my Effetre (Moretti) black glass. This is a silvery metallic coating that appears over the black - when thick it makes the beads look like hematite.

I know it's a batch problem because I made two identical blackberries one after another. I made no changes to the flame chemistry in between, and no changes to my process - the only difference was the batches of glass. One batch old, the other new (purchased this spring). As you can guess, I got one good black berry and one hematite berry.

I'm guessing this bad batch of glass contains extra manganese, the principal colorant in black glass. I also guess that the metallic coating might be some kind of manganese oxide, because the problem worsens with a highly oxidizing flame as opposed to a neutral one. However, some deposit occurs even in a reducing flame.

I tried every caustic household chemical in my home including chlorine bleach, rust and lime removers, drain cleaner and even toilet bowl cleaner. I also tried two flux solutions from my stained glass supplies. Nothing worked except the rust remover, which turned out to be hydroflouric acid (a weak version of etching solution). By the time the haze was gone, the bead was etched.

So I thought more about dissolving metals. Stained glass patinas are made of metals (such as copper or selenium) dissolved in an acid solution, and are meant not to harm glass. I had some on hand and decided to try.

The first patina I tried WORKED!!!

I used NOVACAN SUPER BRITE COPPER PATINA FOR SOLDER. The active ingredients listed are "copper sulfate and mineral acid". Mineral acid is a general term, but most patina solutions are made with either nitric or sulfuric acid. You can buy patinas at your local stained glass store. This one comes in an 8-ounce bottle and cost me about $8.

I poured a little into a plastic spoon, then rolled each bead around in it for about a minute. Rinse in plain water, and Voila!! Hematite gone, glass still shiny. Don't pour used solution back into the bottle, as it could contaminate (and thus ruin) the rest of your supply. Remember to use gloves - this stuff is caustic. And it had the interesting side effect of coating the end of my stainless steel tweezers in copper.

Novacan Black Patina (made with Nitric Acid) ALSO WORKS.

If you have access to chemical supply houses you could try solutions of sulfuric, nitric or hydrochloric acids. Muriatic acid (available in hardware stores for cleaning brickwork) is a weak hydrochloric acid and might work.

Hope this helps somebody save beads they thought would be wasted.

Beth

Last edited by EJohnsonArtGlass; 2009-07-16 at 12:11pm. Reason: MORE INFO ADDED
Old 2009-07-14, 1:40pm
Who me?

Very good information - I suspected for a long time that the black that hazed was kin to the dark silver plum, in that an oxidizing flame made it worse.
Old 2009-07-14, 5:05pm

Thank you for your research! It is funny because the "silvery haze" is the same unwanted effect that I had (and I think others had) with a "spring-time" batch of Dense Black...
Old 2009-07-14, 5:09pm

Oh, this is great info. And I have some of that Novacan for copper as a matter of fact. Very annoying problem.

Thank you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-07-15, 4:23am
burnin' glass just becuz

great research, thanks for the advice!

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2009-07-15, 9:41pm
weird

THANK YOU for posting this. This metallic black thing has been driving me buggy for years - like you, I tried everything under the kitchen sink with no luck. Seriously, I've spent weeks of my life obsessing over this. I finally discovered that a full tank of fuel helps to avoid it to begin with, but not every time. I'll bookmark this thread and report back when I've had the chance to try it.
Old 2009-07-16, 7:46am

THANK YOU!!!!!!!! Made my day!

Old 2009-07-16, 7:58am

Wow! I am so glad I read this post! I was wondering what happened to my dense black beads I had done for a custom necklace! I thought I had mixed up my labeling or something. Thanks for the info

Old 2009-07-16, 8:08am
Ex-lurker

Good investigative work!

"Life is a journey - travel it well"
Old 2009-07-17, 3:46am
organically speaking

Thanks so much for the research! I've still got a few rods of the bad black that got mixed in with my good. Every once in a while, I pick out a bad rod and don't know it until it's too late. Your tip will definitely come in handy.

~Laurie

Old 2009-07-17, 4:51pm

Thanks. I have been having that issue. I think it might be me more than the glass though. I will give it a try with the less caustic stuff first.
Old 2009-07-17, 5:06pm
Oooooh Sparkly!

Thanks for posting
Old 2009-07-19, 1:21am
I speak Murrini!

Oh, I'm so glad I found this thread! I have experienced this with Hades today - I'm so sad about my two vessels that I worked so hard at...curse that nasty haze! I ordered some of the Novacan Super Brite and hopefully (praying!) it will clear the haze off! These vessels took me a long time to make...sure hope it works!

I was wondering - were the beads you used it on black with colors, too? Do you think it will affect the colored glass? If so, I may try using a tiny paintbrush to put it only on the black; it would be a pain in the butt but worth it!

Thanks for giving this great advice!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-07-20, 9:05am
berry lady

Hi, De.

My blackberries also contain some reds, as well as some green and beige colors in the center plug. These were not effected by the patina solution.

My experience in making stained glass panels was that the patinas did not have any effect on any of the actual glass colors.

HOWEVER, I heard (but did not experience) that patina solutions could remove or discolor the irridized coating (stannous chloride) that is sprayed on some stained glass. The supplier who is selling you the patina should know if there have been customer complaints.

My guess is that the patina will remove most metallic surface coatings. This could include fumed gold or silver, the hazing on Copper Green and Silver Plum, or even exposed (not cased) dichroic coating.

I recommend you make some very quick and dirty beads using the same colors from your vessels including any fuming or other metal effects, then dunk 'em to test before putting your actual vessels in the solution.

The Patina solutions are very watery and will be inclined to run even if they are painted on. If you must protect any sensitive areas on the vessels it would be best to mask them with Elmer's Glue or Etchall resist gel and let dry before applying patina solution to the rest of the bead.

BTW, Novacan patinas are available on the internet from dozens of mailorder suppliers and the cost seems to be about $4 everywhere.

Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
Oh, I'm so glad I found this thread! I have experienced this with Hades today - I'm so sad about my two vessels that I worked so hard at...curse that nasty haze! I ordered some of the Novacan Super Brite and hopefully (praying!) it will clear the haze off! These vessels took me a long time to make...sure hope it works!

I was wondering - were the beads you used it on black with colors, too? Do you think it will affect the colored glass? If so, I may try using a tiny paintbrush to put it only on the black; it would be a pain in the butt but worth it!

Thanks for giving this great advice!

De
Old 2009-07-20, 10:50am
I speak Murrini!

Oh, Beth - thanks so much! I did purchase the Novacan solution on the net - from these glass people - and have already received confirmation of shipping:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Novacan-Super-Br...3286.m20.l1116

Even though it was just a few cents less than everyone else, they ship Priority and I want to try it asap!!!

I think your "test" idea is a good one...and the masking idea awesome! I will be sure to post results as soon as I can.

Thanks again for taking the time and effort! It is truly appreciated!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-07-20, 2:53pm
Happy Beadmaker!

Hi all! I've had good luck removing haze from various colors with CLR too -- you can get it at the grocery store. I originally bought it to remove limescale from an antique enamelware coffee pot!

FYI,
Lea

~
~
~
Old 2009-07-20, 3:56pm
Cats & Glass!

If you have an electroforming kit, e-forming solution will take off any metallic patina in mere minutes. I soaked some copper green beads for 30 minutes the other day - voila! Rod-color green (the haze that I normally like just didn't look good on these beads).

I suppose it's the same theory as the patina solution above.

Ebay -
Etsy -
Blog -
Old 2009-07-20, 5:53pm
Sparkle Strumpet

'Tis very kind of you to share!

Kindle Edition by Laurie Byrne-Smith
Old 2010-12-21, 8:16am
Fire n Sand Glass Art

bumping this up

~
~
~
~
Old 2010-12-21, 8:43am
Formerly FishBulb

Fantastic piece of advice, thank you!

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-12-21, 4:16pm

E-forming solutions are sulfuric acid, copper sulfate and a dash of nitric acid thrown in for fun. That'll clear your patina!

Robert