Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room > Free Boro Tutorials

Old 2007-02-27, 11:42pm
Fire and Fluidity

Default Hearts with twisted loops - photo tutorial the way I do it

Hearts photo tutorial for the way I do them, with twisted loops. I didn't realize how many steps there are until I did this tut. If there is anything that is missing or unclear, PM me and I'll answer and/or fix the tut. -Don-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It all depends on how you look at things" said the Churkendoose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-02-28, 12:12am

Love it!!!!!
I have never seen anything like that press thing you have what is that? (sorry Newbie here)

Old 2007-02-28, 12:52am
Fire and Fluidity

Hi Lori,
I love making my own tools and this is one of them. It is a press (see 11th pic) made of stainless steel pipe sawn up and welded. There are two sizes of the top part, for different thicknesses. Handles are wooden coat hanger pegs, welding was done by Zora in her H.S. welding class. Pipe diameter was about 2", any fairly shallow cylindrical press from those like Cattwalk who make presses would work.

-Don-

Old 2007-02-28, 1:02am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Don, you and Zora did an absolute fabulous job! Can't wait to try this one!

Old 2007-02-28, 5:21am

Very nice tutorial, just love your hearts

Thanks for taking time to share

Sophie
Old 2007-02-28, 5:42am
Pyromaniac

Great tutorial! Thanks for taking the time to put this together!

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2007-02-28, 6:08am

Thanks for the tutorial! That is about how I was making them but never would have thought of a FORKED punty LOL Will make it lots easier now LOL Also love the tools too. I got oa bicone marver from you a while ago and love it. Didnt use it much at first but now use it every day (since I figured out how to use it LOL) Anyway, Thanks!!

Robyn
Old 2007-02-28, 8:15am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Wow. I gave it 5 stars just for the "forked punty" alone !
What a great tute - well done!!!!

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2007-02-28, 8:25am

Can it work with soft glass?

-Patti

Old 2007-02-28, 8:28am

The forked punty is way cool. Thanks for the tut!

Ginko Beads
Old 2007-02-28, 8:36am
San Diego Toni

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing this with us

Old 2007-02-28, 10:33am

Thank you, thank you! I've always admired your hearts.... Definitely a 5 Star tutorial!

Old 2007-02-28, 11:11am
Beyond Cloud 9!

Awesome tutorial!! Thanks!

Old 2007-02-28, 2:24pm

Great tutorial, you make it look so easy!!! I love your beautiful work!!
Mary T.
Old 2007-02-28, 3:22pm
Booyarashaka

Thank you Don. Great tutorial. Very nice of you to share it with us. My sister has some of those kind up on Ebay. Wonder if she learned them from you? Thanks again!

"Temet Nosce"

Old 2007-02-28, 3:55pm
Dangerous Woman

Thanks so much! I'm gonna give it a go very soon!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2007-02-28, 4:04pm

Wow! You just opened my eyes to a whole new way to play with glass! Thanks

It's great to be a FLORIDA GATOR!
Old 2007-02-28, 5:04pm
Senior Moment

Thank you Don! This is a great tut! I love the tools and the punty!

Old 2007-02-28, 5:41pm
Himalayan Fanatic

Hi Don, Fantastic TUT! Is the toothed rake a clipper blade? Thanks!

Pam
Old 2007-02-28, 6:04pm

This is great! So clear and it looks so simple - which I am sure is a false impression!

Sadie

Old 2007-02-28, 6:25pm
"Twirl that Honey round".

Very enlightning,your basic practical nature serves you well. But I didn't know anyone actually lived on Kodiak Island. Visited as a sprout and rode around with my parents friends in a surplus WW2 landing craft. I kept asking if there was a machine gun on board after seeing the size of the bear tracks all over the beach. You've got a great hobby to keep warm and make some side money too. TIM
Old 2007-02-28, 7:22pm
Serenity Now!

Great tutorial - love that forked punti...thanks!

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2007-02-28, 9:34pm
Floral Obsessed

Gorgeous pictures and such an unusual process! Definitely food for thought. Thank you so much for sharing. Very very cool!!! Oh - and is that a plane blade you're raking with??

Nov. 2003-Nov 2005 --> QuietTorch, 1lb MAPP ::
:: Nov. 2005-May 2007 --> Piranha, NG, 1 Solaris oxycon ::
:: May 2007-Present --> Piranha, NG, 2 Solaris oxycons
Old 2007-03-01, 1:31am
Fire and Fluidity

Thank you all for the compliments Its nice to be appreciated.

truegem: I haven't worked with soft glass, but I don't think this technique would work very well. So much of my work and boro in general depends on how stiff it is and being able to heat one side while the other is cool enough to hold its shape. I would love to know how it goes if anyone wants to try.

blueflameart:
what is your sisters name on ebay, I would love to see them.

Himalayan fanatic: Close, it is actually from a beard trimmer. Using it makes all the lines move down in parallel, which gives a different look than using a pick. I think that the last heart (blue/yellow) in my post in the Gallery may have been first raked with the comb then pulled further with a pick.

mtarara: Not to blow my own horn, much , but it just seems easy. The most important thing to pay attention to and to learn for this to work is "heat base" and "heat gradation" thorough the piece. Having the heat level change from one end to the other is what makes the glass stretch in a pleasing curve toward the tip. And of course you can't see the gradation in pictures.

-Don-

Old 2007-03-01, 7:34am

Don, you're so generous to share your technique. So far I haven't been fortunate enough to win any of your eBay auctions but continue to try. Thank you.
Old 2007-03-01, 9:51pm
a pox upon an idiot :..

Don, this was the most informative and easy to understand tutorial I have ever seen. I love your handmade tools, and now know what to do with all the used dog grooming clipper blades I have, and the forked punty, genius!

Thank you for sharing.

Edie
Old 2007-03-02, 4:00am
the Evil One

Wonderful! Love the forked punty. I'll be trying this this weekend with soft glass. I really think I can make it work.
Sandra

Old 2007-03-02, 7:52am

Thumbs up cool, thanks!

wow! what a great post. thanks! nice visuals for me haha.
Old 2007-03-02, 8:03am
lov'in life!!!

Hey Don....fantastic tutorial! Thanks SO much for sharing this with us. I love the twistie look of your hearts. Mine are just a concoction of anything I have sitting on my table. Yours is so precise.

The loop is pretty much the same way I do mine. I love the way they hang from a silver chain.

The past is history...the future is a mystery...today is a gift...that's why
we call it the "Present".

Old 2007-03-05, 4:07am
the Evil One

Don I made about 10 this weekend with soft glass. By the last ones they were starting to look decent. I got a little creative to do it but basically following your instruction it is possible to do in soft glass. I'll try and get a photo later.
Sandra