LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2007-09-26, 3:56am
boro color bender

Default Inside my mind... How I work... SCARY STUFF! YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!

Ok, so I've been wanting to do something like this for a while now. I get asked all the time how I come up with stuff. Is this a tutorial? NOPE! It's going to be an ongoing thread about how my mind works... where my inspiration comes from and how one piece/idea leads to another. If you expect me to finish all of these ideas or finish them all the way to completion, you obviously don't know me very well. It may get crazy... I may leave you hanging out there in limbo wanting me to actually go in one direction... and I won't. My mind goes in 37 different directions at once. It's all part of living with ADD and being a creative soul.

OK, so here's what's on my mind this morning... I need to get 10 beads done for an exchange... they can't be pendants, but I want them to be hearts. I decided to pierce the body with hot tungsten to make the holes. I also don't want it to look unfinished. I have an idea for that and I'll share pics with you later...

Then I started thinking about my off mandrel donut beads...

and I added my idea for making the hearts look more finished to that... and then... I added a drip from my latest work to the mix.

The drip looks like this...

More pics and ideas to come later. Hold on folks, this is going to be fun!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Last edited by Mr. Smiley; 2007-09-26 at 3:59am.
Old 2007-09-26, 4:53am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

roflol you are such a tease!!! Can't wait to see how you are going to solve this one

Old 2007-09-26, 5:04am

Location: Im in Lawrenceburg TN .. about 1 1/2 south of Nashville

off mandrel donut ??... whoda thunk it . wow

"If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it."*John Irving*

Old 2007-09-26, 9:55am
boro color bender

Wait until I get pics of the beads in the kiln... way cool! I love working glass and I am gonna enjoy sharing how I work with all of you. I figure we can go further together than we can on our own. Thinking outside of our box is a very good thing!

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2007-09-26, 10:11am
HourGlass Studio

Way cool Smiley !! Looking forward to this thread.
Old 2007-09-26, 10:55am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post

Then I started thinking about my off mandrel donut beads...

Those are off mandrel? I want to know how you do those. Not the design itself, but how you make them that size and shape without a mandrel...

Old 2007-09-26, 11:36am
boro color bender

Ancient Chinese secret! JK... but I am going to wait until the book or video, to release the tech.

Wait until you see the ones cookin right now! Super cool stuff!

Old 2007-09-26, 11:44am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Ancient Chinese secret! JK... but I am going to wait until the book or video, to release the tech.

Wait until you see the ones cookin right now! Super cool stuff!
Looking at them a little more, I have an idea. Well, not sure if it's the same thing you do or not, but an idea that will work. Hmm. Now I'm not going to be able to concentrate on anything at work the rest of the day...

Old 2007-09-26, 11:51am

I can't do anything off mandrel...Well, I shouldn't say I "can't"...I've just never been shown or taught...Hopefully I can learn something from you all...I'd love to learn...

Can't wait to see your pics, Mr. Smiley...

One bead at a time...

--
--
--
Old 2007-09-26, 12:31pm
what's a senior moment ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Looking at them a little more, I have an idea. Well, not sure if it's the same thing you do or not, but an idea that will work. Hmm.
Same here. Actually, two different ways to try. If we guess right, what do we win ??? Just kidding now !
Deb

Old 2007-09-26, 12:37pm
boro color bender

You win more knowledge and different ways to approach making beads... and that's a really great prize!

Old 2007-09-26, 12:38pm
boro color bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Looking at them a little more, I have an idea. Well, not sure if it's the same thing you do or not, but an idea that will work. Hmm. Now I'm not going to be able to concentrate on anything at work the rest of the day...
Why do you think I couldn't possibly do anything else for a living?!? I'd just sit there and day dream about torching all day.

Old 2007-09-26, 1:10pm
CA Queen Bitch

Brent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Being unstable and bitchy is all part of my mystique.

Peek A Boo!
Old 2007-09-26, 1:15pm
boro color bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody Fire Beads View Post
Brent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Suzy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 2007-09-26, 1:33pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Why do you think I couldn't possibly do anything else for a living?!? I'd just sit there and day dream about torching all day.
Yeah, but unfortunately I need a more consistent paycheck...

Well, not me, really, but the bank wouldn't like it if I didn't have a paycheck.

Old 2007-09-26, 1:41pm
boro color bender

Ok, here's a few things I worked on today...

These are what I had in mind when I put the drips on the off mandrel donuts...

and these are a new idea I had to use some cane I made...

I can't show the mini hearts I did, because it's for an exchange... but they are cool!

Old 2007-09-26, 2:44pm
Word to your mother

OH

MY

GOSH

I want a whole neck full of those droplets.

Which reminds me that the other night my 7 year old used the word "driplets".

Old 2007-09-26, 2:45pm
Word to your mother

Ummm, how about a little drop of something inside the bulbous part of the droplet?

Mmmmm, that would be YUMMY.

Old 2007-09-26, 2:49pm
Word to your mother

I checked your site...and the droplet are NOT LISTED!!!!!

Old 2007-09-26, 3:01pm
boro color bender

Not listed yet... they were still warm when I photographed them... I may have to make a whole set and Ebay 'em. I was thinking a shorter almost chocker type necklace done with them would be so sweet! I'll list some on my site as well... just gotta get in the groove and tweak a few things. These took for flippin ever! The first ones always do...

Old 2007-09-26, 4:24pm
what's a senior moment ?

Quote:
You win more knowledge and different ways to approach making beads... and that's a really great prize!
Indeed it is ! The drippy driplet donuts are cool ! (Try to say THAT 5 times really fast !) lol !
Debbie

Old 2007-09-26, 4:45pm
I need more boro stuff

There are something wrong with them. Send them over here, let me inspect them

Quote:
Ummm, how about a little drop of something inside the bulbous part of the droplet?

Mmmmm, that would be YUMMY.
I agree with Kendra there

Old 2007-09-26, 5:06pm
HourGlass Studio

I have yet to see something from Brent that I didnt like. Those are wicked.
Old 2007-09-27, 7:30am
glass nerd!

OMG, I love those!!!

Old 2007-09-27, 8:09am
CA Queen Bitch

what is that dripping noise in here? Did someone leave on the faucet again?

Peek A Boo!
Old 2007-09-27, 9:44am
boro color bender

Drip drip drip! More drips in the kiln!

Old 2007-09-27, 10:15am
MomOnAMission

The droplets are so fun!! I agree! They would look GREAT on a necklace
Old 2007-09-27, 11:51am
CA Queen Bitch

I love them Brent!!

Peek A Boo!
Old 2007-09-27, 2:59pm

Way cool Brent...They are awesome...How, how, how'd you do that?...

One bead at a time...

--
--
--
Old 2007-09-27, 7:28pm
MomOnAMission

Where are the ones from the kiln???? Your KILLIN me