LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2008-04-25, 1:27pm
Glass Addict

Default PSI for Boro recommendations please?

I am running a Minicc and liquid oxy and tanked propane (outside of course). I am working some boro and I can't get the proper colors (specifically Amber Purple). I have tried a reducing and a striking and all I get are deep blues.

I am running propane at 7 psi and oxy at 25 psi on the recommendation of someone and now I am wondering if that is correct. What should I be running for psi for boro?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Life is too short for drama & petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly"
Old 2008-04-25, 4:45pm
Glass Addict

No help at all? Someone must be able to give some input...

"Life is too short for drama & petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly"
Old 2008-04-25, 8:49pm

Did you try asking in the boro room of the tip,question and techniques?

Old 2008-04-26, 3:56pm

You need to burn off the hazes on amber/purple to get the purple. Don't reduce amber/purple, keep an oxidizing flame which shouldnt be a problem with where your PSI is at

Burning a tanked Phantom
Old 2008-04-26, 6:22pm

Take a look at the specs for your torch also.

Old 2008-04-28, 3:35pm
szglassy

make sure your flame is neutral to start with.
if you have a stick of GA 978 Amazon night,you can use that. Put it in the center of your flame, it needs to be the same color after it is heated then when you started.
you may have to play around with your flame a bit if you do not get it right away.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

after working your piece.let it cool.make sure by putting it in a darker place than your bench top, under your bench is good, then see of the orange glow is gone.
put you piece back in the flame...the back part of the flame (furtherest away from your torch) and count anywhere from 3 to 10 to get your desired result.

I run my "cc" on 35 oxy 5 propane

You can always call GA technical support and they will help you out as well.

Hope this helps!
Old 2008-04-29, 10:29am
Glass Addict

Thank you so much! The problem was where I had it in the flame and also upping the oxy. Thank you everyone!

Old 2008-04-29, 11:00am

I had same problem the glass alchemy amazon was my fix.I strike the rod each time I light my torch problem solved.
Old 2008-05-01, 11:39am
Glass Addict

I went ahead and ordered a 1/4 pound and kinda curious about this one so will report back...

Old 2008-05-01, 11:49am
Glass Addict

I went ahead and ordered a 1/4 pound and kinda curious about this one so will report back...

Old 2008-05-01, 12:55pm
Flame Dame

The ratios (according to Doug R from a class I took with him) are 6 to 1. Six PSI oxygen to 1 PSI propane. You can swing that higher if you want, but make sure the ratio is the same.

Hope this helps.

Leah

Etsy ID: leahbeads
Old 2008-05-01, 7:01pm

25 psi oxy is really high for a Mini CC. Since you have access to LOX I'd try to get my hands on a GT torch like the Cheetah and run it on the highest recommended settings.

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-05-02, 11:58am
Glass Addict

It is interesting because once I moved up to 35 PSI on the LOX I got color, go figure! You can see some examples in my Etsy shop (link below) and look at the sculpture and the pendant as those are all DAP. Let me know if the colors look correct?

I am going to try the 6 to 1 as well and see what happens. Thank you!

Old 2008-05-14, 4:46pm
ManBearPig

The pressure isn't as important as how you work the glass. People get very caught up in saying "you have to have exactly this much pressure" or stuff like that. You don't. As long as you have enough pressure to get a good hot flame, you're fine. But, just for reference, I run 40-60 psi on oxygen (depending on what I'm doing), 6-7 on propane.

You need to get the glass hot and burn off the haze that develops when it's heated. Take a stick of something really saturated like Double Amber/Purple or Triple Passion. Turn on your torch and wave the end through the flame until it changes color. Not enough to melt it, just enough to get it hot. Then let it cool. It will be an opaque purple with a slight metallic sheen. That sheen is the haze. It's where the metals come to the surface.

Now, heat it up again and pay close attention to the haze. Keep heating it until it goes from opaque to transparent. You'll actually see it burn away. Keep on heating it until it balls up. Then take it out and let it cool for 30-45 seconds. It should be pretty much transparent. May have a slight amber tint, but that's fine. Then heat it up way out in the flame where it doesn't even look like it's getting hot. Wait 10-15 seconds, and it should start turning a dark amber, then purple.

This concludes striking 101 class for today. Go home and practice...

Old 2008-05-16, 10:00pm

Wow 40-60 ive never run anything above 10 and never had a problem. Go figure... Maybe I should crank it up a bit. Love the beads on your site though.