AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2010-06-25, 3:28am

Default Implosion tutorial for soft glass

Does anyone know of/sell a good implosion tutorial for soft glass?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-06-25, 6:42am
Rose colored glasses…√

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170943
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ight=implosion

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2010-06-25, 6:52am

Default Thanks

I have the bottom one, and haven't really been able to get nice implosions with it. Some of the beads I see are so nice, and seem very different from that one. I haven't seen the first one. It's beautiful!! Thank you.

Old 2010-06-25, 6:56am
Hobby Junkie

Don't forget, for implosions, it's helpful to use a stiffer clear. That's why they work better in boro. Some of the "better clears" in 104 are tough to implode in because they are too buttery!

Old 2010-06-25, 12:09pm
ManBearPig

All of the tutorials in my first pendant book work well in soft glass too. I use Lauscha clear not only because it's stiffer but it's also available in larger diameter.

Old 2010-06-26, 11:31am

Janet, you work bullseye, right?

You can order larger diameter Schott clear (90 coe) from Wale apparatus. It works well for implosions, marbles, etc. I've used Cosmo's book with bullseye with good results with the Schott clear. It works better than the Bullseye large diameter for implosion work.
Old 2010-06-26, 3:41pm
Celebrating Passion

I use effetre, and even schott crystal. The soft glass can be whatever stiffness you want. The trick; cool it down! The glass on top falls around the glass in the middle. work slow and cool the part that you want to stretch while the glass falls around it.
good luck!

Old 2010-06-26, 6:07pm
I need more boro stuff

I made some implosion pendant on soft glass back when I was on HH:

Old 2010-06-26, 7:03pm
Super Duper

I like soft glass for implosions.

The trick is just start with a thin disk and watch where the heat is going. It takes time to get a good feel for the technique.

The biggest challenge with soft glass is that all our clears are scummy and it really shows in pieces like implosions.

You start heating only the edge of the disk, and then as it starts to collapse you heat more of the center to avoid trapping air.
Old 2010-06-27, 5:34am
Bead Crone

Those are probably the nicest soft glass implosions I've seen. Beautiful, Ryan! I may just have to get brave enough to try this.
Old 2010-06-27, 7:30am

wow - I didn't check for a day and now LOTs of new information!! Thanks everyone. I'll get Cosmo's book. I did try some yesterday from the tutorial on Lampwork, and did better than I have before. The examples are beautiful!! Ryan, your work is amazing!!

Old 2010-06-27, 5:43pm
glassblowing vj

this was a helpful implosion tutorial for me:http://www.glassblowingtv.com/media/..._minitutorial/ it could be better,there a few more on the site also.
Old 2010-07-08, 2:14am

I rarely post pictures - partly because I'm ntimidated and partly because my photography skills aren't wonderful, but I wanted to show everyone who helped my best ever implosions. Of course, I then got carried away and did too much and ended up with a crack, but I at least got the implosions.
I got the other tutorial, but need to work on it - AND on attaching handles.

Last edited by janetcameron; 2010-07-08 at 2:33am.
Old 2010-07-08, 5:30am

Here's a link to a you tube video that shows how to do one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOqjbRfdYxo

It might be helpful for you. Good Luck!
Old 2010-07-08, 6:06am

The technique is exactly the same weather you used soft or hard glass. The only suggestion I can give is heat and work slowly still you've got the hang of it. 80% of my implosion pendants are made with soft glass. Below are some examples.

With the wonderful silver glass that is available nowadays, there's not much that you can't do with soft glass IMHO.

HTH

Cheers
Nancy

Old 2010-07-09, 7:59am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by nklt0 View Post

With the wonderful silver glass that is available nowadays, there's not much that you can't do with soft glass IMHO.
I would think inside-out beads or tube implosions may still prove difficult with soft glass...