Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-12-30, 8:02am
Now in living color

Default Has anyone tried pickling clear glass?

Pat Frantz wrote an interesting blog post about a tip she learned from Larry Scott for getting rid of scum on clear glass. Has anyone here tried this? How'd it go?

How to get the Perfect Clear 104 COE Glass

http://frantznewsletter.com/?page_id=1714

Jinx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-12-30, 8:37am
I'm kinda biz-EE

I haven't tried that but it certainly looks interesting and it does make sense to me as pickling certainly cleans metals well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-12-30, 8:50am

I've read of non-toxic pickling solutions for metal that might work on glass, but I haven't tried them. One that I'd try first is heated vinegar saturated with salt (when the salt no longer dissolves in the solution, the solution is saturated). I'd try that route first. I have used straight vinegar to clean really dirty glass rods and that worked...

Mimi
Old 2010-12-30, 9:03am

I just searched again and the recommended mixture (at least for metal) is 1 TBSP salt to 1 Cup vinegar.

Mimi
Old 2010-12-30, 9:12am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xMI View Post
I've read of non-toxic pickling solutions for metal that might work on glass, but I haven't tried them. One that I'd try first is heated vinegar saturated with salt (when the salt no longer dissolves in the solution, the solution is saturated). I'd try that route first. I have used straight vinegar to clean really dirty glass rods and that worked...

Mimi
I used to (a million years ago) work on a cleaning crew that cleaned up newly installed stores in malls. Back in the day everything was mirrored and the clean up was a monumental task. What we used to get the mirror perfectly clean was a solution of 1/2 white vinegar and 1/2 distilled water. We'd spray it on and then wipe it off with newspaper. I clean my glass rods this way and it works well for me, something about the combination of the newsprint and the solution just makes glass sparkle and gives my newspaper a final use before hitting the recycling bin.

Old 2010-12-30, 9:20am
I'm meeeeelting

Larry still pickles his clear.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2010-12-30, 9:45am

Anyone know the mixture ratio that Larry uses?
Darlene

Old 2010-12-30, 3:09pm

Thanks Kim,
I'll probably try the 1/4 of the metal solution that Pat stated. It's been to cold for me to torch (I torch in the garage) so I thought I would try this out.
Take care!

Old 2010-12-30, 6:41pm

Larry told me that he used Sparex - it's a low concentration sulfuric acid solution. Vinegar is acetic acid and not very strong. What you're trying to do is dissolve out any metals or other materials that might be embedded in scratches in the glass. Sparex will likely do that, vinegar not so likely.

Robert
Old 2010-12-30, 8:59pm
Formerly FishBulb

I'd love to try these methods myself. Thanks everyone for posting!

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-12-30, 9:04pm
Formerly FishBulb

I just read the entry in Pat Franz's blog. So simple, even I could do it without wrecking the joint! (hopefully)

I admit to cringing quite painfully when she suggested doing this with ALL your rods, not just the clears or transparents. Just the thought makes me ill. I'd be pickling for weeks!

I admit I was very impressed to see her results with CIM clear at the bottom of the page. That is the scummiest clear I've ever used. If pickling can make it look like that, then I'm going to get started ASAP.

Old 2010-12-30, 9:08pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

You can get Sodium Bisulfate super cheap at Lowes or HomeDepot - look in the pool supplies. It is called PH Down. Just check the label to make sure it's SB - it can be a different chemical too.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-12-30, 9:50pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Wow, those results look dramatic!
Thanks Pat, excellent article.

I was just wondering if I could throw my clear rods into the dishwasher before I saw Pat's blog.
Has anybody tried that? Yay or nay?

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2010-12-31, 7:44am
Formerly FishBulb

Now, as I went to sleep last night I had a question pop up in my head about this, and I checked the entry this morning to see if I was remembering correctly. The article states to get the solution up to 140 degrees F which is like a hot coffee -- doesn't water boil at 100 degrees F? Or is that Celsius? (or am I just being dumb?)

Old 2010-12-31, 7:49am

100 Celsius

212 Fahrenheit

so 150 F is 65 C
Old 2010-12-31, 8:01am
Formerly FishBulb

Thank you! I knew I was mixing things up.

Old 2010-12-31, 8:18am
Not really a tree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
I wash ALL of my rods in the dishwasher before they get labelled and put away. I just use Cascade and load the washer - set it to Pots and Pans and High Temp. They come out beautiful!!
Does this mean that I could deduct a dishwasher as a business expense? I'm so tired of cleaning dishes...er, rods...by hand.

Great idea, really. Maybe I can finally convince myself that I really do need a dishwasher.

Kristi

/
Old 2011-01-01, 6:35am

Will this help even a clear with the worst reputation work better? Like new?

Old 2011-01-03, 1:15pm
Nikki Haverstock

Do you think I would need to dedicate a pyrex dish to doing this even if I use just vinegar and water?
Old 2011-01-03, 1:54pm
Karen James

Will this help with glass that is scratched as well?

Karen

Cricket, Mini CC, Devilbiss MC84 Oxy and NG
Old 2011-01-03, 1:59pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

I did this this past weekend with most of my transparent 104. Many many many trips up and down the stairs to the pickle bath. I must admit, it seems to have helped a lot.

Old 2011-01-03, 2:00pm

yes because it cleans out the scratches
Old 2011-01-03, 4:12pm

This is great information to have. Thanks for sharing it!
Old 2011-01-03, 5:59pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
Another little tip that has worked for me many times - after you have cleaned your rods, just before you are ready to use a rod, polish it up a bit on a piece of suede or the revese side (the rough side) of a piece of leather. It makes an amazing difference.
I have a welder's apron that I use, but you could go to goodwill and buy a ratty leather jacket and cut it up. The only thing you need is the rough side of the leather. Really works!
***Wonders if my husband would realize if his ratty old jacket disappeared...***

Old 2011-01-03, 6:06pm
Loving learning

I'm curious if anyone just runs some fine grade steel wool over the rods to clean them. It seems like it would take off at least the surface dirt & oils, but maybe not?
Old 2011-01-03, 6:45pm
honorary bead lady

All I can think when I see this thread pop up is...

wouldn't it be crunchy?

Old 2011-01-03, 7:03pm
Nikki Haverstock

I have spent hours doing this and it gives me time to label each rod. Can I just say that they are so sparkly and pretty.

EEEEEE (Little girl squeal)

Can I add a question about cleaning glass? If ,after I pickle the glass, I get fingerprints will I need to repickle or can I just wipe it clean?
Old 2011-01-03, 7:22pm
new artist at midlife!

I took a class with Heather Trimlett a few months ago, and she also recommended pickling the clear - and she was talking about Lauscha clear. I haven't tried it, but I'm sure I will some day. Thanks, as always, for all these great tips.
Old 2011-01-04, 6:34am
Karen James

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbird View Post
yes because it cleans out the scratches
Thank you! I have some larger rods of CiM clear that came in scratched that I am going to try this on!

Karen

Cricket, Mini CC, Devilbiss MC84 Oxy and NG
Old 2011-01-04, 7:17am
Resident hippie

If you do use Sodium Bisulphate have a look here.
http://www.poolkem.com/custom-1/Sodi...ta%20Sheet.pdf

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman