Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2008-12-01, 12:09am
Storm Queen

Default Any use Microsoft Expression Web?

I was thinking of finally upgrading my Frontpage 2000 to the newest version. After doing some research it seems that Microsoft has ended the Frontpage era and changed to Expression Web. Anyone using it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-12-03, 9:52am

I tried it for a free trial period and did not like it. I went back to HTML-Kit.

Steve

Old 2008-12-03, 10:25am
Storm Queen

Well I tried the free demo and it looked very much like my Frontpage software so it will be somewhat familiar to me. It only cost me $87 too so I've ordered it.

Old 2008-12-04, 8:34am

I use FP2000. Did the trial Expressions web and didn't like it at all.
Colleen
Old 2008-12-04, 10:40am
Storm Queen

Colleen, when doing my research I read a blurb that freaked me out. It said that because the FP software is not being supported or updated that websites built using it may have issues with some browsers in the future.

Old 2008-12-04, 5:36pm
Flame Dame

I do use Expressions because it came loaded on my computer. I'm not crazy about it, but I'm also cheap! So I do use it. The drawback, at least to me, is that you have to keep all your HTML files, pictures, etc in certain folders because you can only access certain folders from Expressions. It took a while for me to figure it out. Now it's not so bad, but it's not as easy as Frontpage used to be.

Hope this helps,
Leah

Etsy ID: leahbeads
Old 2008-12-04, 5:48pm
Storm Queen

Leah,
Are you talking about viewing pages created with Frontpage using Expressions or did you rebuild your site after getting Expressions? You're scaring me! If you saw how mismanaged my files are you would know why. My server is a total mess.

Old 2008-12-05, 1:46pm

You could also try Visual Web Developer Express from Microsoft. I have both Expressions Web and Visual Web Developer Express, the differences between the two are very subtle...but Visual Web Developer Express is free and free is always good! http://www.microsoft.com/express/vwd/

Old 2008-12-05, 3:02pm
Storm Queen

Thanks but I already ordered Expression Web and it came today along with the four books about it to help me.

Old 2008-12-06, 9:01am
Flame Dame

No, I didn't have to rebuild everything. Expressions will open your frontpage pages. I just had to move everything to new folers.

Once you get your expressions loaded, take a look around. Try uploading to your webhosting company and you'll see that you have to have your website pages in specific folders.

I was like you and had everything in different folers around my computer, but I knew where everything was. So using expressions will make you a bit more organized!

Holler if you need help.

Leah

Old 2008-12-06, 10:14am
Storm Queen

Well I like to do things a bit different. I work live on the server instead of on my computer and then uploading to the server. We'll see how that goes. Right now I'm just doing the skeleton pages and I have all of that in one folder labeled "new catalog". Once I have the frame work done I'm going to FTP that folder onto the server and then do the rest live right on the server. So far I've been able to figure everything out but it sure is different!

Old 2008-12-06, 10:34am
Flame Dame

Sounds like you're not having any problems...that's great!

Leah