Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2011-07-14, 1:01pm
needs creative tagline

Default hosting recommendations?

I'm looking for a web host. I already own my domains, with GoDaddy and can direct them wherever needed, I just need hosting. I'm having a hard time finding something due to my "unique" requirements. Hoping someone has suggestions!

My needs/wants:

-I am a geek that is comfortable with full shell access and direct html coding. Site building tools are nice, but I dislike sites that require you to use their special site building tools and won't let you upload html files (google pages for one)

-I would like lots of storage space. By which I mean at least a couple GB, preferrably more. Unlimited would be nice. But must not have lots of annoying rules like no files bigger than 100MB even though your total is "unlimited," or no more than 10% of your file space can be images/video...

-Must have at least one cart choice. Zen would be nice but I could be open to others.

-I would like to host multiple domains. I want a site for the glass "business" and a site for my "real" professional life as well, plus my personal site and DH has a personal site too. HostGator's Hatchling plan actually looks perfect in every way but this small issue, darn it!

-I realize I can have multiple subdomains on the HostGator Hatchling and forward my domain names to those subdomains, but I don't like that as well as having each site look independent. I also realize I can mask the forwarding but I dislike losing the ability for users to do direct bookmarks, and the potential hit on search engine results. I was really hoping to find some sneaky DNS path around this but haven't yet.

-Here's the kicker. In order to get DH on board, I would like to pay $5/mo or less. Not a plan that's $3/mo for 6 months or a year or some other "introductory" period and then goes up, $5/mo for the regular "permanent" price. I am willing to commit to 2 or 3 years if necessary. And I'm certainly happy to take any introductory cheaper offers, but only if the price that it goes up to after the introductory period is still $5 or less.

I have found lots of sites in the price range but each seems to be missing one or more of the other requirements...

Laura

Facebook -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lynx with OGSI-15 and big holding tank, Redmax on tanked, and National 3b that swings both ways...
Old 2011-07-14, 1:28pm
needs creative tagline

Sites I have looked at:

-HostGator, hatchling plan, looks great except the limitation on number of domains
-DreamHost, looks great, found a deal for $2.95/mo but it goes up to $9.99/mo after 1 year!
-HostMonster, looks good but same thing, good intro rate but up to $7.95/mo afterwards
-iPage, price goes up to $6.95/mo after intro deal
-FatCow, same as iPage
-JustHost, same as iPage
-BlueHost, same as iPage
-GreenGeeks, same as iPage
-1&1, price goes up to $9.99/mo after intro deal
-Dayanahost, I'm worried the disk space will not be enough for me unless I go with one of the pricer plans
-inmotionhosting, looks like I would need their "Max" plan in the "value" section to get carts but still be in my price range. Not sure I understand their multiple domains parked bit though, it looks like I can only have all the domains point to the same place?
-hostpapa, reviews look pretty bad on some sites

Over the price range:
-omnis

Possibilities:
-Arvixe. I have never heard of them and haven't looked into any reviews yet. They have lots of shopping carts but I can't figure out if they are part of the "personal plan" or a separate plan or what. Personal plan at $4/mo could be a possibility. Anyone know anything about them?

Facebook -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lynx with OGSI-15 and big holding tank, Redmax on tanked, and National 3b that swings both ways...
Old 2011-07-14, 2:16pm
ManBearPig

Inmotionhosting.com is who I use. I can't recommend them highly enough. The pricing for carts is if they build them for you. If you build it yourself (or hire someone to) it's much cheaper and easier. As for multiple domains, you can indeed have multiple URL's on the same account. They don't all point to the same place. I have 4 separate sites hosted with them on the same account.

As far as pricing, $5 a month is probably not going to happen if you go with someone reliable. You get what you pay for.

Old 2011-07-14, 2:53pm
needs creative tagline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Inmotionhosting.com is who I use. I can't recommend them highly enough. The pricing for carts is if they build them for you. If you build it yourself (or hire someone to) it's much cheaper and easier. As for multiple domains, you can indeed have multiple URL's on the same account. They don't all point to the same place. I have 4 separate sites hosted with them on the same account.

As far as pricing, $5 a month is probably not going to happen if you go with someone reliable. You get what you pay for.
Thanks for the explanation on having multiple domains with inmotion. It looks like their Max/Value plan is actually right at $5/mo which would be fine. That appears to be 200GB which is plenty of space, includes 5 domains, and they have 3 different carts included in that plan too. I take it that "2MB Attachment size" is the limit on size of email attachments, not on individual files hosted on the site?

laura

Facebook -

Old 2011-07-14, 3:25pm

Look at Lunarpages too.
http://tinyurl.com/5wyqez9

Steve

Old 2011-07-14, 3:46pm
needs creative tagline

Thanks Steve, that one looks promising too!
laura

Facebook -

Old 2011-07-15, 6:10am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaha200 View Post
Thanks for the explanation on having multiple domains with inmotion. It looks like their Max/Value plan is actually right at $5/mo which would be fine. That appears to be 200GB which is plenty of space, includes 5 domains, and they have 3 different carts included in that plan too. I take it that "2MB Attachment size" is the limit on size of email attachments, not on individual files hosted on the site?

laura
I'm not sure what that means. I get 20+ MB attachments via e-mail all the time.