Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2011-07-24, 1:13pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

Default Website remake

I made over my website & want some feedback. It was totally different & professionally designed. I got tired of it & wanted something less busy & simple. So, I took one of the templates & did it myself. Does it look okay?

Vivian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-07-25, 8:45am

I think its cute
Old 2011-07-27, 7:09am
ManBearPig

Bear in mind that I do this for a living, so I sometimes have an over-critical eye for things like this. I'm trying to word this so it doesn't sound harsh. If it does, I apologize...

Here are the things I see that I think need to be addressed:

It looks unfinished to me. There is a lot of negative space, which can be a good thing, but in this case makes it look like something that was just thrown together quickly. Color is your friend. A little goes a long way.

The banner text is pixelated, which makes me think that the banner was taken from a smaller image and enlarged to fit the space.

The images on the right don't have any continuity. They appear to be an afterthought.

The images in the center - three of them are clickable, one isn't. There are also two text links above them that look out of place. One goes to a listing that is no longer active. And the clickable ones don't give you any indication as to where they lead to.

There is no title on your page. It just says "Home". I think it's important to have a meaningful title on your page.

Again, I know it sounds like I'm just tearing the site apart. That's not my intention. I'm trying to give honest feedback. And these are just my opinion, so take them for what they are worth.

Old 2011-07-27, 7:20am

Thanks Cosmo, which one goes to a listing that's not active. I just clicked them & got to active ones. I thought I covered up the "Home" part of the page. I'm not seeing it. I put the banner over that part ... at least I thought I did because it doesn't show up for me. I'll fix that one that's not clickable. The editor was down the other day & I forgot to go back & fix it.

Vivian

-

Old 2011-07-27, 12:35pm
ManBearPig

If you click on the top left image of the pink beads, they go to an auction that has ended.

The "Home" is in the title bar of the browser, not on the page itself. Like when you pull up your site in a browser, the title bar of the browser just says "Home".

Old 2011-07-27, 12:37pm

Okay thanks, I see that now on the pink beads. I'll go change it. I'll see if I can figure out how to change that "home" title too. I appreciate your help.

Vivian

-

Old 2011-07-27, 12:43pm

I think I fixed it.

Vivian

-