Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2008-08-25, 11:14pm
Mary Lockwood

Default New Website all done...whew

4 days of non-stop (well it felt like it) work, I finally have my new website done!!

www.marylockwood.com

If you've visited my old side recently, you will probably have to hit your refresh button to see all the changes.

My webhost upgraded everybody's hosting package and my old site editor wouldn't work anymore so to be able to edit my site at all, I had to import it into the new site builder. That didn't work out so well, so I just started over.

That's ok, I got to do a lot of the changes I've been meaning to do for a long time.

I added more guts to the gallery page, I converted all my old free tutorials into pdf files so they are easier to get and print. Totally changed up my 'about me' page and dedicated a whole Shop page to my etsy store. Still left my etsy mini on the front page.

Let me know what you think please, I'll really appreciate it.

But right now, I'm asleep sitting up so I'm going to bed! LOL
~~Mary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-08-26, 9:01am

Wow Mary,
You have some great work there. I like your new site, the colors are very pleasing and navigation is easy, but your work is what sets it off. Inspirational stuff.

It is too hot to work here in the summer(and the surf fishing picks up), but I am charged up, ready to get set back up and melt some glass. I break everything down with the threat of the first hurricane and set up at the end of hurricane season, but I'm pushing it back this year, no later than mid-September. I torch on a screened-in porch that would disappear in a direct hit from a cat. 3 storm. Currently watching Hurricane Gustav closely.

Steve

Old 2008-08-27, 10:17am

It looks really nice, I like the colors you've chosen a lot! Your work is wonderful and the new site showcases it beautifully!

Old 2008-08-27, 2:46pm
Mary Lockwood

Thanks, Steve!

You are only a couple weeks away from getting your stuff set up again. That has to be exciting. What's Gustav doing? I have been gone and not up to date on the weather.

Hope you are safe and getting ready to torch.

Thanks to you too, Jen! I appreciate you taking a look.

Take care.
~~Mary

Old 2008-08-27, 3:52pm
Karen James

It looks great Mary. It is very straight forward as to navigation which I think is very important.

I like your bio page. You can tell how passionate you are about your glasswork.

The gallery is amazing. I knew the kind of work you did, I just never KNEW the amount of work you did. Does that make sense??? It was great to see.

Karen

Cricket, Mini CC, Devilbiss MC84 Oxy and NG
Old 2008-08-27, 6:22pm
Mary Lockwood

Well thank you very much, Karen. I've never been good at writing about myself and have never been happy with any bio type things I've written for websites. This one felt right so I'm glad to hear that you liked it.

Actually, what you said about the amount of work I do DOES make sense. I can't seem to settle on any one thing for long, but I can't let any of them go completely either so I end up doing lots of different things all the time.

I had one person tell me my work looks schizophrenic because there is so much different stuff instead of getting into a vein and exploring it fully. I twitter about doing what I want to do and I like it that way. I'm still just a glass baby with lots to learn. When I find something that will capture me long enough to become obsessed with it...I guess that will be my 'thing'. LOL

~~Mary

Old 2008-08-27, 6:26pm
Karen James

Mary, if you are a glass baby, I am just a gleam in my parents eyes.

Karen

Old 2008-08-27, 6:46pm
Mary Lockwood

Sometimes I feel like I have the glass attention span of a two year old. LOL I try one thing, then I get distracted by something sparkly and want to do that, then I miss the first thing so I go back to that. I'm like a toddler playing with toys...round and round and round.

When I look back at the fact that it took me over half my glass life to figure out those jellyfish beads I can't believe I ever made it this far with them. I REALLY wanted to be able to make those look like what I had in my head or I never would have been able to stick with them that long.

Why does it feel like 1:00 AM when it is only 9:45pm? I feel like I ran into a wall or something and just want to go to sleep. LOL

~~Mary

Old 2008-08-28, 6:50am
Karen James

I know what you mean about running in circles trying to find the right toy.

I bought my first lampworking set-up from Frantz, a hothead, about 8 or 9 years agoish. I was working full time then, so, I only made beads on weekends. I had no idea what I was doing. There was 1 book, Cindy Jenkins. It was great, but, that was it. Nothing on the net, no classes, nothing.

Work got crazier, so I figured, "Let me try something that does not require me to be fully attentive like fusing." HAH! Not so good. Well, I make a mean fused glass bracelet and some great cabs!

Then, the work thing ended (YEAH). My wonderful husband has been so supportive and encouraging. Move up to my Mini CC, OxyCon and last Thursday installed a NG line. Thanks to all the new resources, books, LE, tuts like yours, I am learning more and more every day. I am hoping to open an Etsy shop very soon.

Anyway, where did all that come from...the journey is a circle, but it all comes back to glass. Beautiful glass. Thankfully for so many of us, yours has been one that teaches it as well.

Oh, and the reason you felt like it was 1:00AM at 9:45PM, children. Gotta love them.

Karen

Old 2008-08-28, 8:53am

Mary,

Gustav appears to be heading to Louisiana, but too soon to tell for sure.

Tell me about ETSY, it appears to be very popular with sellers now. A few years ago it was all eBay, for actually selling stuff. I'm guessing that has changed.

Steve

Old 2008-08-28, 11:26am
Mary Lockwood

Hi Steve!

Etsy is popular with sellers (including me I dropped eBay all together) because it is very popular with buyers. Buyers who are already targeted and looking for handmade, collectible or high quality supplies. In the case of handmade glass beads, that is both. Lots of shoppers on eBay go in with the intent to get the best deal they can get. Shoppers on Etsy seem to care more about the best quality they can get. There are always exceptions of course, there are good buyers and bargain hunters no matter where you go, but it does seem to be a different demographic at Etsy.

The fees are very low to sell there. Very low. The listings all look the same. They have a template, you fill in the blanks, that's it. The playing field is level.

The key is to list often and regularly. I try to list something every other day, or at least 'renew' a listing. Renewing a listing costs 20 cents and bumps you back up to the front page of the category. I only do this if I don't have anything new to list. It is better than nothing.

There is also a widget (I guess could call it that) called an Etsy Mini. You can copy/paste the code into your website, blog or myspace page and it is a direct replica of your etsy shop. People click the pictures and are taken to your Etsy shop to purchase. You can go to my website and on the front page is an Etsy mini, and on the Shop page, that whole thing is an Etsy mini. You configure them to be as big or small as you want and they update themselves automatically. If something sells in my shop, my webpage Etsy Mini reflects the change.

Another benefit to Etsy is that they SEEM to have lower tolerance for commercial factory made beads to be sold in direct competition with the handmade lampwork beads done by individuals in their home studios. If you are selling commercially made supplies and beads, you have to list in that category. It does help a bit.

Other than that, the same general guidelines for any online selling venue apply to Etsy. Great pictures, good descriptions and fast shipping.

Oh, and they are integrated with PayPal, just an FYI.

~~Mary