Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2011-07-31, 9:22pm
yes, llamas...and ducks

Location: Langley, BC, Canada, North America, Northern Hemisphere, Earth.
Unhappy Hosting?

Hi All,

I'm having a heck of a time trying to get anywhere with Go Daddy's hosting. I can't get it to connect with my website maker program or FTP uploader I got from the web.

I was wondering if any of you had suggestions as to who to use for hosting. I have had so many frustrations with getting a website updated over the past few years that I'm about ready to give up on it completely and rage at Go Daddy and get a full refund.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Shannon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Flaming on a Minor with concentrator.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-07-31, 10:40pm
yes, llamas...and ducks

I finally broke down and called Go Daddy - THEY had the incorrect IP address. After searching their 'online help' for hours, they realized that they had the wrong host information. I don't think I'll be renewing with them next year.

Old 2011-08-01, 12:56am
beads....mmmm

Try dreamhost.com

I've been using them for years and they're wonderful. Good luck!

::
Old 2011-08-01, 4:57am
Angie09

bluehost.com ... I'm a web designer and have used their hosting for about 8 years now. You can always reach someone and they offer everything you might need. Good luck.
Old 2011-08-01, 5:05am
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

I've been using Homestead for years. I can't say they're the best because it's the only one I've used, but I've never had a problem with them. They also have 111 pages of templates to use.

Vivian

-

Old 2011-08-01, 7:20am
ManBearPig

inmotionhosting.com is the best I've found.

Old 2011-08-01, 8:06am

I have been with 1and1.com for years. Zero complaints so far.
Old 2011-08-01, 8:18am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
I have been with 1and1.com for years. Zero complaints so far.
I switched away from them. I have a whole list of complaints, and so do several of my web design clients.

The main one is that a virus infected their server last year, and I know of at least 20 people (whose sites are hosted with them) whose computers went down. And, 1and1 never claimed any responsibility or admitted any guilt.

Plus, their rates keep going up and up and up, and their customer service keeps going down and down and down.

At one time I had over 40 sites hosted with them. Never again.

Old 2011-08-01, 8:54am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
I switched away from them. I have a whole list of complaints, and so do several of my web design clients.

The main one is that a virus infected their server last year, and I know of at least 20 people (whose sites are hosted with them) whose computers went down. And, 1and1 never claimed any responsibility or admitted any guilt.

Plus, their rates keep going up and up and up, and their customer service keeps going down and down and down.

At one time I had over 40 sites hosted with them. Never again.
Funny....My rates have only gone up once slightly in the years I have been hosted by them. Never got a virus from them and their CS has been great. As far as I can tell, availability has been 100%. I have never seen my site down. I suspect the large scale commercial hosting end is a different organization then the small business side since my experience has been completely different than yours.
Old 2011-08-02, 7:22am
Always Improving

We have been with Blue Host for over 12 months and really like the service, uptime and LIVE customer support.
Old 2011-08-02, 8:35am
Salt Box Beads

Me too. Blue Host.
Old 2011-08-02, 11:26am

Looks like you have loads of suggestions and help. If you need I will be happy to host your site for nothing to get you going. Will provide you with FTP and Cpanel access.
Old 2011-08-02, 2:59pm
yes, llamas...and ducks

Thank you all for your suggestions.

When I spoke to someone at Go Daddy, we went through about 3 minutes of trouble shooting before he looked at the IP address that was on my account as the 'host' upload site. It was the wrong IP address from what it SHOULD have been - not something I had done, just something that 'happens sometimes' on their end. After we sorted that out, I was able to update my website in a matter of minutes. The only thing I am running into now is that my background image is missing from any page other than my home page. Oh well...one thing at a time.

Thank you again!

Old 2011-08-22, 1:05am
Bohemian Bead Peddler

Squarespace is what I use. Very user friendly and if you know html, css, javascript, etc., then you can use that, too.