Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2012-01-01, 10:23am
Sheila Davis Designs

Default Yahoo web hosting?

Has anyone used Yahoo for a web host? I want to change my idle website and am looking for a good one. If you sign up for 1 year it's only $7.46/mo.
I also just read a review of iPage...sounds pretty good too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-01-03, 3:39pm
Sheila Davis Designs

iPage is having a sale for $2.95 a month!

Old 2012-01-03, 3:46pm

I have been a yahoo hosted website for over 9 years - it might be a little higher than some sites but i have been very happy with their service and have only had an issue once. They were very quick to respond.

I run the 9.95 / mo service but I believe I got a break my first year also. At this time , I have no interest in moving to any other web hosting service - call it loyal or call it stupid but it works for me and I'm happy with it....

Last edited by nevadaglass; 2012-01-03 at 3:49pm.
Old 2012-01-03, 3:50pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Thanks Nevada!

Old 2012-01-03, 8:40pm

I've had Yahoo for years and years. I rarely have problems.

If you cannot stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 2012-01-03, 8:58pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Thanks Melinda! I really need to decide as I need to order more bus. cards. It's always something!

Old 2012-01-06, 5:57am

Yahoo for me too. I have had more than one issue and they are very quick to respond. I am happy with the service....
Old 2012-01-06, 5:57pm

Hmmmm... how detailed can you get with yahoo's web hosting and design?

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2012-01-09, 10:26am
Mary Lockwood

I've used Yahoo's web hosting for 13 years...maybe 14 but I'd have to do math, and that's not happening. LOL

I have never had a single problem. The only site down time I ever had was when I forgot to renew my domain registration. LOL Not their fault, they reminded me and I forgot. Duh.

Duane, they have a wysiwyg site editor so you can be as creative as you can imagine. They also have templates though, for people who aren't into designing their site and just want to plug their items and links into a premade design.

I have zero complaints with Yahoo web hosting. Their site stat tracking is very complete as well.

~~Mary

Old 2012-01-09, 11:18am

I agree with Mary and if you go to my website, the whole thing was created in their tool called yahoo sitebuilder. I didnt like their premade templates ( mainly because they werent "glassy" enough for my tastes) so I ended up customizing one of their original ones. There are more than like 300 pre-made ones to pick from.
Old 2012-01-09, 4:05pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Mary, I noticed you have way more stuff in your Etsy. Do you sell more there or your website, if you don't mind sharing.

Old 2012-01-11, 1:29pm
Mary Lockwood

I don't sell from my website, too much work. I'd rather go where the buyers are than try to get them to come to me. That's half the battle.

I did however start off selling tutorials directly from my website and that worked well. Just not beads or jewelry. Then I had some kind of snit or something and pulled all the tutorials from my website. Eventually I listed them all on etsy but never felt motivated to put them back on my website. Probably I should do that.

Usually I just stick an etsy mini up on my website's shop page out of laziness. Honestly though, I list stuff on etsy, it sells then I list more. I've been very fortunate in that regard.

When I had the tutorials on my site I used PayPal's shopping cart tied into an auto-downloader and the paypal shopping cart got along with my yahoo hosted site very well.

Hope that helps.

Old 2012-01-11, 1:31pm
Mary Lockwood

OH, I should probably mention this: if you are going to be using your site as a shop, it IS possible and easy in the yahoo sitebuilder to edit your meta tags, keywords and titles to reflect everything you offer so you can optimize your placement in search engines. That will be useful to you for sure.

Old 2012-01-11, 2:53pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
OH, I should probably mention this: if you are going to be using your site as a shop, it IS possible and easy in the yahoo sitebuilder to edit your meta tags, keywords and titles to reflect everything you offer so you can optimize your placement in search engines. That will be useful to you for sure.
Thanks Mary. At this point I wonder if it is worth the time and effort to have a website. I just think about all the fees I've paid Etsy in the last year....but then I would have to pay to have a website too. Decisions..decisions!

Old 2012-01-11, 4:35pm
Mary Lockwood

For lots of people, a website is absolutely worth it. I'm personally too lazy for it. Know thine self, right? LOL Every once in a while I get a wild hair and think I'm going to go all in and really work the website. It lasts a couple of months and then it slips again.

Honestly, I only have a website at this point so that I can tell people to go to marylockwood.com (because usually I have a link to my etsy shop from there...right now I don't--again because I'm lazy and haven't put it back yet). I needed a website to put on my business cards. I wanted to host my free tutorials. About me page. Etc. Etc.

Now, on those jags when I work the site, it doesn't take long to notice a difference. It's all about what you're willing to put into it. Pretty much anybody would be better about it than me.

When I had my jewelry site, that was a long time ago. Way before Etsy so my only venue was my website and it was good then. Now it's just easier to go where the buyers are for sales and keep the website just as an internet presence.

~~Mary