LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Shows and Festivals

Shows and Festivals -- Upcoming events

Old 2012-03-05, 11:01am
What was I thinking?

Default What's the main thing you wish you'd known...

...before exhibiting at your first bead show?

I'm hoping to take part in my first exhibit at the Rocky Mountain Bead Society show April 27-28. I've started doing my homework, but LE members are the best resource in so many ways.

I would appreciate a single important tip (or more if you feel like it) that will help me get started.

Thank you!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-03-05, 11:59am

I learned that no matter how nice your work is, your display needs to be even nicer. If you can't draw the customers in, they'll never see your real work.

The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
Old 2012-03-05, 1:04pm

SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT THING: Have the square and a phone that will take it. You need to enable impulse buys.

Little things that make a difference to me:

Always smile no matter how bad the day.

Pay attention to your customers. (But don't hover and make them feel uncomfortable) I stood in a booth trying to get the attention of a bead maker in Tucson last year at The Best Bead Show. She was standing right in front of me gossiping with another lampworker. Neither were interested in acknowledging me. So I left and spent that $150 on another bead just 2 booths down. I have a sour taste in my mouth for that lampworker now, too. Used to love her work. Now not so much.

If I walk into a booth and hear griping about the show, the promoters, how bad the sales are, etc. I don't want to spend time in that booth. I usually walk away and don't look at a thing. I'm here to enjoy the show.

I know how long the days can get, but a smile and a friendly hello is all it takes for them to feel welcome in your booth.

The funnest part for me when I do a show is to see all the jewelry on people as they wander in or pass by. It's amazing to see what creative people can do with the same or similar materials.

Old 2012-03-05, 1:30pm
Micromosaic and Lampwork

Wear comfortable shoes and clothes. Layers. Pack a lunch and snacks. Bring a paper bag for trash. Plenty of water. I even pack an emergency stash of toiletries, what if the show is busy and they run out of TP. First aide products too, if you need a band-aid after erecting your display. Leave a change of clothes in the car just in case you spill something on yourself.

Make sure you have all the office essentials like: scissors, tape, pens, business cards, labeling items, note paper etc.

Make a place for people to sigh up for your newsletter, or have them drop their card for a chance to win something like a free bead, gift certificate, etc. This will get you more contacts. Make your business cards easy to find.

Take credit cards. Square is PERFECT. I made almost $300 after I got mine at my first show because of it.

If you are outside, have weights for your canopy, a gust of wind can make it take flight.

I have a carpet and little rugs so if a customer or the wind drops a piece onto the ground there is a better chance of survival. I have lost $$ every show until I started using the carpets.

This is debatable, but I can not last all day without a chair. I got a director's chair so I am still tall and perched high so people can see me and I can see them. As soon as they want my attention I spring to my feet and answer any questions.

You can have photos or rods of glass to show how you make the beads. People are interested and most likely haven't ever seen it before. If you educate them, they may value the art more and make a sale.

Have a sign or banner. Branding, your name or business name or website. Big photos to draw in people that are further away. ( I still need to get the photos)

I create a cubby space where most people won't go. This is where I keep my food, $$, and other personal items.

I also use clear plastic containers from target. I can see through them and instantly know what is inside; linnens, earring racks, jewelry, display items....

Lighting if you are indoors. I bought cheap desk lamps that clamp to the table. Home depot or Ikea. The daylight bulbs are great too, a bit cold, but bright, and they are perfect for your macro photography needs.

Set up your booth at home just like you are going to set up at the show. This will help you rehearse and you will discover what you are missing.

Hope something here helps. Have fun.

Old 2012-03-05, 1:50pm
What was I thinking?

These are terrific tips!!! Thank you so much.

I'm not familiar with Square...

Old 2012-03-05, 2:09pm

Here is a discussion on Square

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ghlight=Square

My HH and I attend many shows and couldn't do without Square. We use it with an iPad or iPhone. No electricity needed and it's fast. Doesn't cost anything to get started. Not to mention a conversation piece with customers, they are all interested it it.

Like my Facebook Page, Please
Old 2012-03-05, 2:29pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Lighting is Extremely important. I always carry the cash on my body so in turn I have never had a theft disaster.

Old 2012-03-05, 2:44pm
What was I thinking?

Thank you!

Does anyone have a recommendation for the type of lighting?

(Can't tell you how invaluable all this info is!)

Old 2012-03-05, 2:45pm
What was I thinking?

Just so you know, I've double posted this thread in the Bathroom Monday knowing how much traffic it gets.

Old 2012-03-05, 8:55pm
Jer. 29:11, Prov.10:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by piedradesigns View Post
Thank you!

Does anyone have a recommendation for the type of lighting?

(Can't tell you how invaluable all this info is!)
We use upside down track lighting clamped to the back of the table, with 24 inch stems, stalks(?), not sure what they're called.

Also a rubber mat to stand on, and if you're alone, have your wrapping area facing out. (Have your tissue pre-cut.)
I always wrap on a corner of the bead table if hubby is away, that way I can chat, continue to answer questions, and I don't have my back turned.

That's a really outstanding show, I think you'll be very happy with it.
We're not doing it this year, and I'll miss it.

Also, if you are alone, don't hesitate to ask the staff to table sit so you can grab a bite to eat or a potty break, they're happy to do it.
Old 2012-04-04, 12:27pm
Catchen' the Sun

If you are sharing a table with another bead maker no matter how good a friend you need to set things up together a head of time, and make it clear how you expect things to be done where you expect things to be during the show. spell things out to the last little thing. You might think you don't need to but if you do not do that ahead of time someones feelings may be hurt or your styles of selling and what is exceptable at your table and what is not may ruin a friendship.

SRA # K36 Catchen' the Sun Glass Art

Old 2012-04-04, 1:55pm

You all hit just about everything. I guess I would add, have plenty of one dollar bills. Make sure you know the sales tax for the venue. Be prepared to respond to questions like, do you discount for a cash sale? do you discount for a volume purchase? Do you discount for repeat customers? senior citizens? special needs groups?

Leave space for the women to put their purse on the table at checkout. Otherwise they just plop their heavy purses right down on your beads.

Always offer receipts. Tell them you made them and ask if they are familiar with lampwork. Many people are amazed at how they are made.
Dont ignore the people who you think are not really interested in your beads. I have sold some expensive lampwork jewelry to the husbands that got dragged to the bead show. They put it away for later to give to the woman in their life.
Men also are looking for lampwork jewelry. I have not yet figured out how to meet this need but every show there is men that ask me.
The snacks are always good. You will need to pack a little cooler for healthy lunches because at a busy show even with a friend to help you may not get a break in the action.
Relax! I was nervous the first time too!

Old 2012-04-04, 7:33pm

For that show in particular. Be very aware of shop lifters. There are some real pros who hit that show hard. I have stopped doing Denver bead shows all together because of the shoplifters there.

Good Luck and try to have fun!
Old 2012-04-05, 5:57am

All these tips are great!

The only other one I can think of is to make friends with your neighbors -- especially if you're there on your own. There's a good chance you'll need to take a bathroom break in the middle of the day, and it's handy to have someone you can ask to watch things for you. Also, as you start to do more shows, these folks really will be your friends, and every show will feel like a mini-reunion

Old 2012-04-05, 1:41pm

Have some really nice beads, for high dollar. But don't fill your booth with them. It takes time and reputation to build that. So, have plenty of lower priced items. Items that can add up to a decent weekend, even if you don't sell that high dollar piece you thought was the nicest thing on your table. I was disappointed my first several art fairs, because I filled my booth with what I thought was my nicest work. Lots of lookers, which is flattering, but we all know the reason we do a show.......to make money

Old 2012-04-05, 3:10pm
What was I thinking?

Great advice from everybody! Maybe I'll be lucky enough to meet some of you there.

Do most of you have a friend or co-worker in the booth with you?

Old 2012-04-06, 7:38am
ManBearPig

The piece you like the least is the one customers will like the most.

Old 2012-04-06, 7:46am
What was I thinking?

That's funny, Cosmo, because I have one set of beads that screams "Ugly!" at me every time I enter the same room, but my husband looked at it and said, "Somebody's gonna LOVE this one." And although he's typically sarcastic, he meant it! Guess it'll be at the show.

Old 2012-04-06, 9:00am
da General

Gretchen, I have a bead show checklist. Do you want me to email that to you? PM me!

|
|
|
|
Old 2012-04-06, 10:05am

I've been following this thread and there is great info and advice here for someone just venturing into this marketing area- thanks for asking the question so others, like me, can piggy back on the responses!
If it's ok, I would love to see a copy of the checklist too.
Cyndi
Old 2012-04-06, 10:49am
da General

Cyndi - PM me your email and I will send it to you.

|
|
|
|
Old 2012-04-06, 11:34am
What was I thinking?

What a helpful list, Mrs. Tsang Sather!

Thanks so much!

Old 2012-04-07, 9:56am
da General

|
|
|
|
Old 2012-04-07, 11:28am
I ate a big red candle!

Um, could I get in on that show checklist too?

Pretty please

my email is booga119@hotmail.com

My fledgling etsy shop

Old 2012-04-16, 10:51pm
Fire Monkey

Remember to relax and have fun. Smile and talk to everyone. People can sense if you're having a good time and I believe they are more likely to buy.

Old 2012-04-17, 12:33am

Could I please have a copy of the checklist? sangita@sangita.net
Old 2012-06-21, 11:10am
tiptrinket

Be friendly! I refuse to buy anything from someone who will not acknowledge that I have walked into or by their booth. Also, everything needs to be priced. I always feel like the person is basing their price on how I look. It is aggravating to have to ask the price on something. And if the items are in a glass display case, have the prices turned where you can read them so you don't have to ask someone. After all, are you ashamed of your prices?

I would love to have the checklist too.

TT4727@comcast.net

Old 2012-06-21, 12:34pm

Every display has a sweet spot. When something sells, make sure to move something else into that spot. It seems to change at every show, so it never hurts to rearrange several times a day.

The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
Old 2012-08-10, 6:16pm
Sheila Davis Designs

I learned alot at the Gathering Bead Bazaar. Although I have done lots of jewelry shows, this was my first 'all beads' show. My lights did not fit the table...the table was too wide for them. Later, I saw somone using a small piece of plywood and a C clamp, clamped the plywood on with the C clamp, then clamped their light to the plywood. (I'm just going to get different lights) Also, my Square worked for the first 3 transactions, then for some reason I kept getting an error message. It was very frustrating. Luckily I had my laptop with me and had previously signed up for Paypal vertual terminal. So I finally got the credit card processed for the couple that was waiting patiently. I later found out that it might have been the connection inside the hotel...I dunno.
I had a good show, but don't know how much better it might have been if not for the glitch with the Square.