LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-08-01, 10:03am

Default Which crapped out? Controller or Kiln?

Hi! I just got back on my torch the other day after being away from it for 1.5 years, or tried to, anyway. I have an Arrow Springs AF99 with an Arrow Springs digital controller. When I first started out everything was ramping up fine. Then about an hour into it I hear a tiny little "pop", then the temp started to slowly go down again. Power was still going to both parts. I haven't tried disconntecting the controller and trying the kiln alone yet (will do that tonight), but has anyone had any experience with this? I'm trying to figure out, do I need to buy a new controller, new kiln, or can something be fixed?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-08-01, 10:08am
Storm Queen

Whatever it is, it can be fixed. I have the same set up and the first thing to do is to change the relay in the controller. That's probably the problem. However I did just have mine fry through the wires in the infinite controller on the kiln. I smelled burning plastic when that happened. Called AS and they walked me through trouble shooting and told me what to do to fix it and sent me the part.

Old 2012-08-01, 10:51am
Run Free Sweet Boy

first things I check are relays, and for a break in the elements. and fuses

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2012-08-01, 1:23pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Something going "pop" usually indicates something burned "open", first thing I would check is elements....

Digital controllers usually give some sort of error message on display when they have a problem or go bad...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2012-08-01, 1:42pm
Storm Queen

When the relay went out in my controller it didn't give me an error and she has the same controller I do. The temp just started falling...

Old 2012-08-01, 2:26pm
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

The relay could pop on its way out too. It is the least expensive part to replace, and the first place to start. If it is a mechanical relay, you should hear a click after the switch is thrown if it's working. Also, mechanical's do not like to be left idle. They can build corrosion on the contacts which can cause early pitting and failure. The generally fail in the off position. Solid states tend to fail in the on position and don't make clicks when engaging.

Give Craig a call. I don't tout other competitors often, but he is really great people. Bought my Bullet from him.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Old 2012-08-01, 5:56pm

Thanks for everyone's input! I do think it's the kiln. I unplugged the kiln from the controller and plugged it up by itself and it's not heating up. I'll check into the other suggestions when I have more time this weekend.

Old 2012-08-01, 6:03pm
Storm Queen

Call AS when you have time. Jason talked me through trouble shooting my problem.

Old 2012-08-01, 7:55pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
When the relay went out in my controller it didn't give me an error and she has the same controller I do. The temp just started falling...
The relay is not part of the controller.... There for controller can not issue a controller error for relay failure... About only error for an external part controller can give an error code for is a open circuit in thermal-couple....

Dale

Old 2012-08-01, 8:53pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
The relay is not part of the controller.... There for controller can not issue a controller error for relay failure... About only error for an external part controller can give an error code for is a open circuit in thermal-couple....

Dale
I'm not even sure what you're trying to say. Your sentence structure was hard to interpret. My AS digital controller has a relay in it, I replaced it myself. Here's the part number and the company I ordered mine from Blair, but you should open yours up and make sure it's the same part:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...Zhv00WuRkts%3d

Sounds like you don't need one now Blair but it's always good to at least have a source when you do need one. These people got my part out to me in two days. I ordered two so I had a back up ready.

Old 2012-08-02, 7:05am
Gentleman of Leisure

Ok we will try it again....

The relay is not part of the controller. It may be on same panel as controller but not part of controller electronics. It (relay) is only connected to the controller.

IF the relay is not part of controller, the controller can not issue a controller error for relay failure because controller does not know relay may have failed.

Generally a controller is only capable of sensing if thermocouple has gone open circuit or not connected and then it may issue a error code ...

Dale

Old 2012-08-02, 7:28am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
Ok we will try it again....

The relay is not part of the controller. It may be on same panel as controller but not part of controller electronics. It (relay) is only connected to the controller.

IF the relay is not part of controller, the controller can not issue a controller error for relay failure because controller does not know relay may have failed.

Generally a controller is only capable of sensing if thermocouple has gone open circuit or not connected and then it may issue a error code ...

Dale
Not true. The bartlett 3-key can and does detect a stuck relay. This is beginning to sound like a bad heating element.
Old 2012-08-02, 7:49am

the doctor will see you now

Tags
controller, kiln