Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2012-06-16, 7:03am

This is a great idea! Also, by adding the mandrel dents, these could be used for dipping mandrels in the middle. I haven't tried this yet, but definitely will! Thanks!
Old 2012-06-16, 10:17am
Bonkers about glass.....

Great tip. Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Marlene
Old 2012-06-16, 12:31pm
MacGalver

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeenaG View Post
This is a great idea! Also, by adding the mandrel dents, these could be used for dipping mandrels in the middle. I haven't tried this yet, but definitely will! Thanks!

Oh my gosh, Neena, I think you're right about that! The mandrel dents would need to be fairly deep, but hey you can make one just for that purpose. How smart you are! Please post back here after you try it and let us know how it works.

Jo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-06-19, 7:49pm
Lava Maker

Terrific idea AND i can use duct tape. I just need to decide which color of duct tape matches my can. I have hot pink. That should add pizzaz to my work table!

Ann DeHoff
Old 2012-06-19, 8:20pm
Queen Of the Kitty Parade

awesome!!!! Thanks JO!!!!
Old 2012-06-21, 7:15am
Glass-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clan tabby View Post
Not free. I'll have to buy a soda.

What a great idea, Jo. Thanks for posting it! The aluminum is malleable enough that you could make a mandrel dent if your needed to for larger beads, too. Cool!
You could buy beer... or coconut water.. Or a few other things that come in a can humm, red bull plus Frit.. At least it's not stringer work LOL

PS GREAT IDEA! Are they sharp on the bottom at all?

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-06-21, 1:44pm
MacGalver

Jaci~ The edge is really not that sharp as long as you get a smooth cut, not jagged. I just use mine without taping the edges and have never had a problem, but if it does feel sharp to you, just cover the cut edge with duct tape or something similar.

Jo

Old 2012-06-21, 2:41pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frit Diva View Post
Oh my gosh, Neena, I think you're right about that! The mandrel dents would need to be fairly deep, but hey you can make one just for that purpose. How smart you are! Please post back here after you try it and let us know how it works.

Jo
I dipped mandrels last night and used my brand new Diet Pepsi frit tray/bead release holder. I used an awl and tapped it with a hammer to get the mandrel dents. The awl wanted to slip off, and I think my dents probably could have been deeper, but it worked just fine. If you let the bead release "mound up" without spilling over, I don't think you would even need the mandrel dents. I had been using a plastic lid that came on a can of dog food and it had started to split. The drink can tray is definitely better and with the way I drink Diet Pepsi, I have an unending supply!
Vicki
Old 2012-06-21, 6:27pm
Lava Maker

Default mandrell release

I use one of those metal "bead" scoopers to dip my mandrells. I dip in the middle and as I turn the mandrell in the soupy liquid I can tell if it's bent.

Ann DeHoff
Old 2012-06-21, 10:30pm
MacGalver

Thanks for the idea and for the update Neena! I've never been a middle dipper, maybe I will have to try it now.

Jo

Old 2012-06-26, 10:57pm
Dancing Moon Shadows

Well, that is just about the most clever idea I've seen in a while. Thanks so much for sharing!

[/b][/i][/font]
Old 2012-06-27, 11:31am
MacGalver

Thanks Andrea!

Jo

Old 2012-07-07, 1:56am

Thank you for showing me what to do with the bottom.

In the link below, you can see what you can do with the rest of the can.

http://www.milomade.co.uk/blog/2010/...ox-from-a-can/
Old 2012-07-07, 3:33pm
Fire!! Wait...it's good.

Thank you, this is awesome! I've been searching everywhere for those little gravy boat things because I love them, but can't find them anywhere. This might be even better!

Minor and Oxy Con with AF3P Kiln
Old 2012-07-07, 9:34pm
MacGalver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzyfay View Post
Thank you for showing me what to do with the bottom.

In the link below, you can see what you can do with the rest of the can.

http://www.milomade.co.uk/blog/2010/...ox-from-a-can/

Thanks Lizzy ~ I was making something similar to the link you posted when I first realized the bottoms would make great frit trays!

Thanks Cher, hope you like them as well~

Jo

Old 2012-07-08, 8:38pm
Alaska Boro

Another frit tray that works well.

Old 2012-07-13, 8:19am

Soda cans, why didn't I think of that? Great idea, thanks for sharing!
Old 2012-07-23, 6:35am
Glass-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska View Post
Another frit tray that works well.

Is the base of that wood blocks from a childrens set? My mother has some that shape in the daycare block bin! Humm maybe not for long lol.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-07-23, 1:49pm
Alaska Boro

The stainless steel pipe is about 2-3/8 inches in OD. Like your idea about the blocks. However these are made by using a hole saw centered on the wide side of a 2 x 4. Then cut the circle in half, etc.

It would be better to use metal, but this keeps it light weight. For light duty use wood works fine as stainless does not conduct heat very well. Plus the glass acts as a good insulator. For heave use would suggest a different holder.

The tray is 5 inches in length but could be longer depending on needs. The nice part is that it is easy to dump the contents back into the frit container.
Old 2012-08-13, 9:00am

I'm lazy and couldn't find my tin snips. This is my version of the free frit trays. Purchase soda in 8 oz. cans, drink soda and rinse cans, invert into a cleaned tuna can. The can is raised up a bit which helps me when applying frit. The tuna can catches any spilled frit and I can just pour it back into my frit container. My original plan was to fill the soda can with sand and seal the hole with duct tape so it wouldn't tip. Being that the soda can is shorter and sitting inside the tuna can, the soda can doesn't seem tippy at all.

Thanks for the original idea Frit Diva!

Old 2012-08-15, 10:45pm
MacGalver

I love the tuna can to catch the overflow! Smart idea!

Old 2012-08-20, 1:33am

Love the Lazy Version!! I can do that today!!!
Old 2012-08-29, 4:00pm

Default Frickin brilliant

I never would have thought of that that, simple, easy and I can set it on top of my rod warmer to heat the frit so it sticks better........just brilliant
great, now I am going to spend the evening mumbling to my self.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Old 2012-10-17, 11:40am
MacGalver

I like the idea of heating up the frit holder on your rod warmer ~ would be especially helpful when it's cold in the studio!

Jo

Old 2013-03-08, 8:58pm
Lava Maker

Ok, bump it goes.

I ordered the two tutorials by Jo and of course had to read them at once. The Button tutorial is ingenious!! How cleaver. And the Carbochon tut gives so much information. Wow. I'm usually not so BLOWN over about something. I get pumped when I learn something new, but I am on this one has me trying to think outside the box for some other items I need, or think I need.

Ann DeHoff
Old 2014-07-19, 4:58pm
Gerry Ann's Glass Beads

Thanks very much for the frit tray idea. I needed that. Some day I'll catch with all these posts lol.

Tags
diy, frit, frit diva, frit trays