Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > The Mall > Customer Service Kiosk

Customer Service Kiosk -- Questions for LE vendors.

Old 2008-06-09, 12:13pm
love me love my llamas

Default glass rods per pound

Hi,
I am new to lampworking. I have never bought a pound of glass. I did find a local person who I bought single rods from but her store closed. I was wondering how many rods are in a pound? I know the diameter of the rods will determine how many but the smaller size rods, will be a good example for me. This will help determine how much glass I want to order.
Thanks,
Maggie
Old 2008-06-09, 12:22pm
Borovangelist

Hi Maggie,

It depends on the glass. Weights vary from manufacturer manufacturer from color to color. The length of the rods makes a difference as does the contents of the glass as some colors weigh a little more because of their chemical makeup.

I know when I buy a pound of some boro colors I get about 11-12 rods, and 1/2 a pound gets me 3-6.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Old 2008-06-09, 12:31pm
Just me

Hi Maggie,
Welcome to glass and LE.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

With soft glass you can pretty much expect around 24 rods in a pound if they are about 5-6mm in diameter (pencil thickness).
Happy color shopping!
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ETA: Oh yeah, Jo is right on the length, effetre and vetrofond usually run about 13 inches long.

Last edited by Bubbyanne; 2008-06-09 at 12:38pm.
Old 2008-06-09, 12:36pm
Satake Woman!

You need to check the length too. With 22" rods Satake is about 8 to the pound, or 16 rods to the pound if you cut them in half to make 11" rods.

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2008-06-09, 9:29pm
love me love my llamas

Thanks, for all your help. I understood that you all couldn't give me a number set in stone. I just wanted some idea of what to expect!
I really appreciate all the help!
Maggie
Old 2008-06-11, 8:05am

Default Cathedral Stained Glass sells by the rod

If you are buying COE 104, 90 or 96 you can go to
to purchase rods. They are sold per rod instead of by weight. There is a pretty large selection of each COE. Just go to the hot glass section from the above link.
Good luck
Old 2008-06-11, 9:33am

We sell some glass by the rod. I always divide the lb by the number of rods in it to get my price per rod. There's so much variation!
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2017-10-19, 11:04am

hi i dont know if this is an old post or not but i was just wondering if could be pointed in the direction of 104 and 33 color rods nothings special im on 20 hrs of wrk just something other then clear . mt glass ect seem to only have high end 70 dollers plus per pound glass.
thanks
Old 2017-10-19, 11:26am

Mountain Glass has less expensive 104. Look at the Effetre and CIM.
Howaco Glass and Frantz Art Glass have a wide variety. Howaco sells by the rod or by weight.
Old 2018-06-21, 5:31pm
Meet Molly

Smile Your Oct post requesting glass rods

Quote:
hi i dont know if this is an old post or not but i was just wondering if could be pointed in the direction of 104 and 33 color rods nothings special im on 20 hrs of wrk just something other then clear . mt glass ect seem to only have high end 70 dollers plus per pound glass.
thanks
Hello Spitfire, I hope you are enjoying lampwork as I did many yrs ago. I stopped doing lampwork 8 yrs ago due to med issues but then restarted 2 yrs later. I have in storage lots of Effetre and Vetrofond glass rods and also, CIM, Some TAG, Double Helix...I also have many Zoozii’s brass presses, lampwork tools, a couple of books, a Jen Ken kiln... Everything is in really good condition. I need to sell my lampwork equipment since I now know I can no longer be in front of a torch. This has been very hard for me to face.

I’ve been diagnosed after all these yrs with Autoimmune Dis. It has not only affected my lungs but my eyes, as well.

If you are interested in purchasing glass rods or tools, I’d absolutely give you a good price. I live in Pensacola, FL . It’s in the panhandle of Florida near Alabama, Georgia and part of Texas. Please contact me if you would like to see what I have or a list of glass rod brand and colors.

I hope to hear from you.

Oh, I’ve not posted my lampwork items yet because I have forgotten how. I contacted the lampwork forum and
asking for their help. I am waiting to hear back from them, hopefully real soon.

And, Welcome to the art of Lampwork!
Thanks,
Cinnamon (Neomi Caban)
My past email address on lampworketc.com was
but I just updated it. My email now is

Last edited by Cinnamon; 2018-06-21 at 5:35pm. Reason: Errors in wording
Old 2018-06-21, 5:44pm
Meet Molly

Hello Spitfire, I posted a response to a request of yours this past Oct. I have been away from lampworketc.com for several yrs due medical illness and now have decided it’s time I sell all my lampwork items. I don’t know if you received my post to you a few more b ago because Ive truly forgotten how to post. I just contacted
requesting help with posting. I hope you did receive my message.
Old 2018-06-21, 6:52pm
Slogan Challenged...

Hey Cinnamon, sorry about the bad news
you could also check out FB, there are some destash groups for lampworking, sales go really well there. You might get more if you piece it out but I don't know how much time you want to spend with it. You can also offer the whole shebang for a single price and see if there are any takers. Good luck, here are the links

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2018-06-22, 3:14pm
Meet Molly

Thank you so much, Kristin! I will give those sites a try. First, I’ll need to deactivate my Facebook acct.and then start taking photos of all the glass rods and tools I need to sell.

Take care and again, thank you
Neomi (Cinnamon)