Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Old 2010-03-08, 8:51pm

Default Beads of Courage Butterflies

Here is my take on butterflies for Beads of Courage. Below are the steps I use to make these beads and I have a post on my blog. I was never happy with my butterflies until I tried using my Gaffer and Val Cox veiled cane. Nikki Carollo posted some butterfly beads in the BOC thread and a light bulb went off in my head. I have lots of veiled cane. I tweaked her design a little and came up with this way of making these beads. Feel free to use my tutorial for beads of your own to send to Beads of Couarge. Post your pictures here. Sorry I didn't have any "action" shots, hard to tweeze, hold the bead and take the photo at the same time.

Wrap mandrel with first color of glass to form a tube shape. Make sure the ends are dimpled nicely as it will not be possible to return to the ends to make them smooth easily.

Use the same color of glass to make four tall dots to form the beginnings of the wings.

Take your second color of glass and wrap around the raised dots. You can see here the bottom side is done and the topside I started in the middle of the dots. I like doing this so I can use the molten glass to get into all the edges. If needed add some glass to make the two wings the same size.

Use your third color and stripe it down the sides of the wings to build up more height on the wings.

Heat in the center of the wing on side.

Use a razor tool, stump shaper or simlar tool to crease between the wings. Repeat on the other side.

Heat one wing and use parallel mashers or tweezer to flatten the wings.

Here all wings are mashed.

Heat each wing and use tweezers to make ridges in the wings. You may need to heat and tweeze a couple times on each wing, if you are not fast enough. I like to start in the center of the wing and move to the left, then go back and finish on the right.

Finished butterfly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Become a fan on Facebook:

Last edited by Lara; 2010-03-10 at 8:44pm.
Old 2010-03-08, 9:04pm

Beautiful! I love the way the wings catch light and sparkle! It's hard to tell from the pictures, but I'm assuming the wings are pretty durable? I suppose it just takes practice to know how hard to squeeze with the tweezers. I'm in the process of making some frit test beads for That Frit Girl's TAM BOC frit challenge, so If I can manage some that approach yours in lovliness, I'll have to send some along. I just wish they were never needed

Old 2010-03-08, 10:08pm

They are very sturdy at the attachement point, I hope the tips are sturdy too. Depends how much you squeeze.

I agree Julie, wish they were not needed at all.

Old 2010-03-09, 10:51am

Crisp, clear photos, thanks!

As long as you don't squeeze too much and leave the glass too thin, they're still strong. Insurance heat like mad all the way through making the bead. I've dropped mine accidentally and they survived quite nicely.

I wish they weren't needed, either, but I'm proud to make some that I think could be worthy...

Thank you so much for sharing, I'm glad I inspired you - the veiled cane is amazing for these.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2010-03-09, 8:06pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLC Beads View Post
Crisp, clear photos, thanks!
Yeah, don't know how that happened.

Thanks for your kind words Nikki.

Last edited by Lara; 2010-03-09 at 11:12pm.
Old 2010-03-10, 9:05am

Thank you Lara,

That was great and very inspiring.

Old 2010-03-10, 8:43pm

Your welcome. Hope you make some beads.

Old 2010-03-10, 9:45pm

Thanks Lara-

I will and I'll post here with a picture.

Kathy

Old 2010-05-09, 5:37pm
Obsessed Blogger

Thanks Lara!

::